Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Who is the next head coach for women's basketball at NDSU

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Who is the next head coach for women's basketball at NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. Jory is probably the heavy favorite but consider this. He took over an Emporia State squad that had just won a national championship and was already a D2 power. He basically kept the train on the tracks for 7 years...
    So he's the Klieman of women's basketball?

Drake has a nice program lately

MinotBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Basketball is a different animal, one or two difference makers can turn a team around quickly. I also think outside of the two SD schools the rest of the league is gettable. We are lacking talent right now, no doubt, but I think the right coach should be able to leverage our facilities to get us to a place where we are competing again.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    So who among them is going to be the best recruiter? I still think the Drake coach looks like a good fit.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I like Collins for his successful head coaching experience and I like Love because he coached under Amy Williams for the past 7 seasons.

Love or Pohlman would be my picks but I’m not knowledgeable on any of these. Seem like good candidates

Quote Originally Posted by WBB Fan View Post
    Scheid - Northwestern
    Dean - Drake
    Hedstrom, Walker, 2 others - Lehigh
    Backes - Wisconsin
    Koenen - UNC
    Haack - Bradley
    Sjerven - USD
    Hollie - Michigan State
    Robson - Green Bay
    I could probably list two dozen more, but I think you get the picture.
    #1 recruit in the country Paige Bueckers to U conn. NBD.. haha
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WBB Fan View Post
    Scheid - Northwestern
    Dean - Drake
    Hedstrom, Walker, 2 others - Lehigh
    Backes - Wisconsin
    Koenen - UNC
    Haack - Bradley
    Sjerven - USD
    Hollie - Michigan State
    Robson - Green Bay
    I could probably list two dozen more, but I think you get the picture.
    Thank you for the info. And i believe this proves my point to el chapo. If there are 40 d 1 girls in the cities right now ndsu won’t have a chance with how many? Very few.

Ndsu hiring a coach from the cities probably doesn’t change that since there is are schools from all over already with access and inroads. Breaking into that market to recruit is going to much harder than he thinks. It’s not like football where the gophers don’t offer and the wayzata player comes to the best game around in football.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Thank you for the info. And i believe this proves my point to el chapo. If there are 40 d 1 girls in the cities right now ndsu won’t have a chance with how many? Very few.

Ndsu hiring a coach from the cities probably doesn’t change that since there is are schools from all over already with access and inroads. Breaking into that market to recruit is going to much harder than he thinks. It’s not like football where the gophers don’t offer and the wayzata player comes to the best game around in football.
    But you only need 1 or 2 a year, right???

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that at least 2 of the candidates are recruiting coordinators. My 2cents is that if the new Head Coach doesn’t have experience in recruiting Minnesota, especially the metro, then make sure you hire an assistant who does have experience/connection to Minnesota.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    But you only need 1 or 2 a year, right???

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that at least 2 of the candidates are recruiting coordinators. My 2cents is that if the new Head Coach doesn’t have experience in recruiting Minnesota, especially the metro, then make sure you hire an assistant who does have experience/connection to Minnesota.
    My point with Lakes, it isn't as easy has he wants to make it sound. "Hire someone from the cities, and we will get TC ladies to come to NDSU". Lakes you should come to the North Tartan AAU tournament end of July. You can stay at your brothers place, games are at Bloomington and Hopkins high schools. There will be 80 to 120 coaches (D1 down to NAIA) there looking at same players. Lindsay Whalen was there last year, Brew from UND, don't recall seeing Maren but wasn't looking for her either. This is a regional tournament. Strong Iowa presence teams from Milwaukee as well. The competition for the top tier young ladies is pretty high and they have options.

As for getting 1 or 2 a year. you would think so. I don't know what the number of Div 1 young ladies in the TC's is. but there are probably more schools looking at them then there are available athletes. Another issue to consider when it comes to high school ladies basketball. For many of them you are competing with Volleyball as well.

A young lady on NDSU team had offers from the east coast for BB. Choose VB. So that limits the pool as well.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    My point with Lakes, it isn't as easy has he wants to make it sound. "Hire someone from the cities, and we will get TC ladies to come to NDSU". Lakes you should come to the North Tartan AAU tournament end of July. You can stay at your brothers place, games are at Bloomington and Hopkins high schools. There will be 80 to 120 coaches (D1 down to NAIA) there looking at same players. Lindsay Whalen was there last year, Brew from UND, don't recall seeing Maren but wasn't looking for her either. This is a regional tournament. Strong Iowa presence teams from Milwaukee as well. The competition for the top tier young ladies is pretty high and they have options.

As for getting 1 or 2 a year. you would think so. I don't know what the number of Div 1 young ladies in the TC's is. but there are probably more schools looking at them then there are available athletes. Another issue to consider when it comes to high school ladies basketball. For many of them you are competing with Volleyball as well.

A young lady on NDSU team had offers from the east coast for BB. Choose VB. So that limits the pool as well.
    This just makes what the SD schools are doing that much more impressive.