Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: 3/10 Summit League Tourney Opener vs. Oral Roberts

Default Re: 3/10 Summit League Tourney Opener vs. Oral Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    He had two fouls you fucking morons. By the end of this thread I’m sure everyone is back “okay I’m willing to give this team a chance” again. JFC.
    BTW I made my comment with 12 minutes left in the first half when richman yanked him after his first foul. He didn’t pick up his 2nd until there was 4 min left in the half.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post
    Ward dominated inside because Richman ran sets to isolate him, he wasnt ball dominating at all. Hunter hit some shots in the first to keep them close but that wasnt going to be sustainable.

The notion that the lack of intensity is because of the cosching staff is a complete joke. Intensity is the one thing the kids need to bring. If you have to coach players to be intense then you have the wrong players.
    I agree completely with your first statement. The second is debateable.
    Playing at a high level of intensity is taught in practice over and over repeatedly. Some teams bring it every night, some don't. Well coached basketball teams usually do. Same thing goes with turnovers. If your coaching staff demands that you take care of the ball in practice and their are consequences when you don't, it will carry over to the games. Coaching 101!

It's ok to give credit to Richman while still acknowledging that his performance to this point still justifies the program going in a new direction.

This was a bad matchup for NDSU. ORU was the top rebounding team in the conference with 2 very good post players and the Bison dominated them for the final 30+ minutes. They did this despite subpar games from Vinnie and Geu. Hunter kept them in the game, Ward put them in front to stay, and Rocky made winning plays on both ends to seal it. Those 3 guys get game balls IMO. Kudos to the coaches as well, this team has come a long way in a month and a half. Hope to see them keep it going!

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

[QUOTE=THEsocalledfan;1341021]We will be up by 10+ with 10 min to go in second half, and we will implode. Mark it down.[/QUOTE

Same prediction for tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It's ok to give credit to Richman while still acknowledging that his performance to this point still justifies the program going in a new direction.

This was a bad matchup for NDSU. ORU was the top rebounding team in the conference with 2 very good post players and the Bison dominated them for the final 30+ minutes. They did this despite subpar games from Vinnie and Geu. Hunter kept them in the game, Ward put them in front to stay, and Rocky made winning plays on both ends to seal it. Those 3 guys get game balls IMO. Kudos to the coaches as well, this team has come a long way in a month and a half. Hope to see them keep it going!
    Yep, give credit when credit is due. A couple of reasons this years team has improved:
    1: Last year we lead the Summit in turnovers. With Vinnie running the point this years team does a better job taking care of the ball.
    2: Our depth. We have guys coming off the bench who can deliver offensively. Not sure but my guess is we lead the conference in points off the bench.

In last night's game vs ORU, NDSU shot:

4 free throws in the 1st half...…...and 32 in the 2nd half. 32 free throws in one half!

Coming into the game NDSU was averaging 17 free throw attempts per game.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    In last night's game vs ORU, NDSU shot:

4 free throws in the 1st half...…...and 32 in the 2nd half. 32 free throws in one half!

Coming into the game NDSU was averaging 17 free throw attempts per game.
    That's what happens when you attack the rim and get the ball in the paint!

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    That's what happens when you attack the rim and get the ball in the paint!
    Yep, while the referees got pretty whistle happy on both ends in the 2nd half I think that's what makes this team go offensively. Attack the rim and get the ball inside. Passing and dribbling the ball around the 3 point line doesn't do anything. Get it inside either via the pass or dribble then play inside out and let your three point shooting be opened up by that effect. Or if the 3s aren't falling then get to the line. Sometimes all a shooter needs is to see a couple FTs go through the hoop to bust himself out of a funk.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yep, while the referees got pretty whistle happy on both ends in the 2nd half I think that's what makes this team go offensively. Attack the rim and get the ball inside. Passing and dribbling the ball around the 3 point line doesn't do anything. Get it inside either via the pass or dribble then play inside out and let your three point shooting be opened up by that effect. Or if the 3s aren't falling then get to the line. Sometimes all a shooter needs is to see a couple FTs go through the hoop to bust himself out of a funk.
    I was shocked to see us attack the basket; it was kind of like good coaching was happening.....(I will gave Dave credit as it was earned last night). They need to pound it in to Ward, Rocky, and Deng. Get the WIU guy in foul trouble. BTW, I want to see Rocky inside more. He needs to bang more like he does on the D end.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post
    The notion that the lack of intensity is because of the coaching staff is a complete joke. Intensity is the one thing the kids need to bring. If you have to coach players to be intense then you have the wrong players.
    Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    The second is debatable. Playing at a high level of intensity is taught in practice over and over repeatedly. Some teams bring it every night, some don't.
    This is an interesting debate. At the D1 level, it comes down whether or not you think need to you recruit 'heart-and-soul' just like you recruit talent. Looking at the Bison FB program, I would have to say yes, but I agree it is debatable.

While motivating players is certainly part of the job, you can help yourself with the type of player you recruit. Some guys are more passionate and selfless in a game setting than others. Can you teach that to 18-20 year olds? I suppose on some level you can, but it might distract a bit from x's and o's.

But no question that bad coaching can kill 'heart-and-soul'.