Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big XII Tournament

Default Re: Big XII Tournament

A good tournament for 3 of our wrestlers Fleetwood, Fogarty and De La Riva. In the finals I thought Fogarty had to keep riding because at the end he could not defend his legs. Utah Valley stood up and Fogarty let him go instead of trying to take him down to the mat again. Of course Utah Valley got the takedown(could not defend his legs). Once he gave the escape I thought he needed to shoot but he didn't. I hope we get an all American this year. As far as I know Coach Kish has never as a Head Coach recruited a Bison wrestler that has been All American. Sykora was the most disappointing wrestler in this tournament but their were several others who wrestled poorly. Our recruiting and development don't seem good enough under Coach Kish's leadership.

Cam Sykora got an at large bid to the NCAA tournament.

Had Jaden Van Maanen not lost to Jensen in the conference tourney, he may well have got one. Shane Oster got one at 149 with a worse winning percentage than JVM and a head to head loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Cam Sykora got an at large bid to the NCAA tournament.

Had Jaden Van Maanen not lost to Jensen in the conference tourney, he may well have got one. Shane Oster got one at 149 with a worse winning percentage than JVM and a head to head loss.
    I think JVM would have made it too. I gotta say, I wasn't impressed by his antics at the tail end of that last match either. It looked like he was throwing punches.

Cordell really got the short end of the stick with that bracket. At a weight with 7 AQ spots, he got eliminated by losing to #4 and #6, and he almost beat #4.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    I think JVM would have made it too. I gotta say, I wasn't impressed by his antics at the tail end of that last match either. It looked like he was throwing punches.

Cordell really got the short end of the stick with that bracket. At a weight with 7 AQ spots, he got eliminated by losing to #4 and #6, and he almost beat #4.
    I don't understand why the B12 doesn't just seed the whole bracket.

They screwed over Metz in particular. Granted Metz lost to Hutchinson and Ngati in the regualr season, but he earned the conference an AQ and then didn't even get seeded. Had he been drawn in differently, like into Wolters spot, he very likely wins a couple matches and who knows. Instead, he gets drawn to face the 6 and 5 seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    They screwed over Metz in particular. Granted Metz lost to Hutchinson and Ngati in the regualr season, but he earned the conference an AQ and then didn't even get seeded. Had he been drawn in differently, like into Wolters spot, he very likely wins a couple matches and who knows. Instead, he gets drawn to face the 6 and 5 seeds
    I didn't feel as bad for Metz. He needed to make the top 6 and he got matches against #5 and #6, and neither of those went very well. I really hope we see less Greco next year, and more of those awesome doubles like he hit against Goodhart at CKLV.

Quote Originally Posted by harleycowboy View Post
    Sykora was the most disappointing wrestler in this tournament but their were several others who wrestled poorly. Our recruiting and development don't seem good enough under Coach Kish's leadership.
    I have to believe that Sykora is fighting through an injury or something at the moment. His season was rock-solid, but he hasn't seemed the same since SDSU, so lets hope he gets something turned around in the next couple of weeks.

It feels like we have lots of talent on the team this year, through a combination of recruiting and transfers. Fleetwood, De La Riva, and Fogarty seem to be wrestling quite well now. Sykora has been very good outside of the last few weeks. Metz and Eaton haven't had great winning percentages, but they have had brutal schedules. JVM would have probably qualified except for his last match. I suspect Weber would have been able to qualify if he had been here for the first semester. A lot of our young guys had good free-style results over the summer, including Metz, Bianchi, JVM, and Midkiff. We just need one of these guys to break through the AA barrier, and then things will take-off. Just like you, I hope it starts this year.