Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Rule Changes

Default Re: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It's rare for a game to go 5 or more OTs so the impact would be extremely minimal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Why would that excuse it?

Ultimately what they are trying to do on tackles is to get them to wrap up rather than hit. If you approach the runner with your head or shoulder to hit them rather than just tackle them you are more likely to commit targeting. That behavior doesn't seem to have changed.k
    Hold on there, Indy. Correct tackling technique IS to hit the player with your shoulder, drive through the player, and wrap up. That is a good tackle, not targeting. You cannot wrap someone from the side with your arms and make a tackle......

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Hold on there, Indy. Correct tackling technique IS to hit the player with your shoulder, drive through the player, and wrap up. That is a good tackle, not targeting. You cannot wrap someone from the side with your arms and make a tackle......
    90% of targeting fouls on a tackle involve a defender trying to hit or blow up the offensive player mostly with the shoulder. They usually aren't wrapping up. They become a missile or Superman trying to hit someone rather than tackling. That's where the head becomes a force in the hit. What you describe very rarely results in targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Why would that excuse it?
    It's not a major impact to the game because there might only be 3 or 4 games at all levels per season that get to a fifth OT. In 10 years of college officiating I haven't had 5 OT combined in all my games. This is just a way to shorten those rare games that go that far.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    When removing a player from a game, a second layer of judgement seems justified, at least to me anyway.

Reading the article I'm not sure exactly what the changes are. Apparently review can now either confirm or overturn a targeting call? Still think there are cases were targeting technically occurs, but ejection isn't warranted due to circumstances outside the offending players control. Doesn't sound like that is addressed by proposed rule changes.
    Today when targeting goes to replay you could have a decision of "stands". That means there wasn't enough information to overturn but it also wasn't enough to confirm. When that happened the player was still ejected and the penalty enforced. Now it's either confirmed of overturned. The "stands" situation will now be an overturn.

The suspension for the second offense in a season I assume will be for the entirety of the next game. It may have already been a half of it happened in the second half, but now it will be for the entire game regardless of when it happened.

NAIA makes it a full game suspension for targeting at any time. A player could lose nearly 2 gates if he's guilty of targeting early on the game.

Today when targeting goes to replay you could have a decision of "stands". That means there wasn't enough information to overturn but it also wasn't enough to confirm. When that happened the player was still ejected and the penalty enforced. Now it's either confirmed of overturned. The "stands" situation will now be an overturn.

The suspension for the second offense in a season I assume will be for the entirety of the next game. It may have already been a half of it happened in the second half, but now it will be for the entire game regardless of when it happened.

NAIA makes it a full game suspension for targeting at any time. A player could lose nearly 2 gates if he's guilty of targeting early on the game.

Thanks for the clarification. Seems like a little give and take regarding increased review and increased penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Expecting a defensive player to make a perfect form tackle every time is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

90% of targeting fouls on a tackle involve a defender trying to hit or blow up the offensive player mostly with the shoulder. They usually aren't wrapping up. They become a missile or Superman trying to hit someone rather than tackling. That's where the head becomes a force in the hit. What you describe very rarely results in targeting.

A lot of those type of plays happen farther away from the line of scrimmage. Meaning players are moving much faster. Plus recurves often tuck and lower their body at the last minute which lowers the contact zone. Your version of a perfect wrap up tackle cannot happen at all angles and maximum speeds

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Suspending a player for a game after their second targeting call in a season is BS.
    Wow so lame.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Expecting a defensive player to make a perfect form tackle every time is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Not a perfect form tackle. Just attempt to make a form tackle. Most targeting involves a defender going on to make a hit rather than a tackle. Not all hits result in targeting but they are asking for trouble.