Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Spring Practice

Default Re: 2019 Spring Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer63 View Post
    Do you really think we have the wide receiver core to run a west coast style? And I'm not dissing our WR's... but right up until Wilson got hurt, the talk was that we were unproven and lacked depth in our WR group. We even moved DJ Stewart from RB to WR to try and shore up some depth. I just think our guys fit better into the ground and pound style... force the defense to load the box, then pick away at the gaps that leaves in the secondary.
    I believe DJ Stewart has always been a wr since coming in last fall. I don't think he started as a rb here eventhough that's what he played in hs

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Well, I believe we have the receivers to run a west coast style if we use all our receivers, including our TE's and running backs. West coast is quick reads with the ball coming out fast to get the ball into your playmakers hands in open space. Part of my question comes from the recent interest in small, quick running backs we seem to be targeting. IMO, those types of backs are going to do well in an offense that gets them the ball quickly on swing passes rather than pounding them between the tackles. Just an observation of a noticeable change in some of our running back recruits makes me wonder if Roehl will bring back those portions of our offense he ran as a player and that we ran so effectively when Walker was our QB.
    Roehl won't change the offense without Entz being on board. Maybe things will change in the next couple of years but right after being hired Entz said the recipe for success has already been demonstrated and his plan with minor changes was to continue running the ball and using the passing game in an efficient manner. There is always the possibility he has changed his mind.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-74421198...rence-12-17-18
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Whatever they did last year was perfect in my mind. Messingham dialed the balance between the pass and run in perfectly.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Roehl won't change the offense without Entz being on board. Maybe things will change in the next couple of years but right after being hired Entz said the recipe for success has already been demonstrated and his plan with minor changes was to continue running the ball and using the passing game in an efficient manner. There is always the possibility he has changed his mind.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-74421198...rence-12-17-18
    I'm not expecting whole sale changes, but adding some of the west coast passing schemes back in certainly seems like a possibility and logical given Roehl's familiarity with that.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    I'm not expecting whole sale changes, but adding some of the west coast passing schemes back in certainly seems like a possibility and logical given Roehl's familiarity with that.
    One way or another I want football again---I am tired of waiting.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    One way or another I want football again---I am tired of waiting.
    I would like to see the TE used just a bit more and show off what kind of athletes we have at that position.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    I believe DJ Stewart has always been a wr since coming in last fall. I don't think he started as a rb here eventhough that's what he played in hs
    You might be right... I had it down that he was listed as RB on the roster last year, but I pulled up the 2018 roster on gobison and he was at WR. My mistake. I thought that just happened this spring, but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Whatever they did last year was perfect in my mind. Messingham dialed the balance between the pass and run in perfectly.
    I wish Coach Roehl and the team all the best in the coming years. But there maybe a learning curve or growing pains without Mess calling the offense. Again I am on board with Roehl but will miss Mess.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

I think the passing offense will be alright if we get good production from the tight ends. We have plenty of good athletes at TE.

I feel pretty good about the O-line. The guys that stick around end up being good players.

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    I think the passing offense will be alright if we get good production from the tight ends. We have plenty of good athletes at TE.

I feel pretty good about the O-line. The guys that stick around end up being good players.
    One of the young guys Jeff & Dom were quoting good things about was RFR Jalen Sundell - 6’ 5 287 - iirc he was getting some time at 1st team RT. Assume that has something to do with the coaches switching players around to different positions for spring practice reasons. Cordell Volson being out due to injury may have something to do with this also. Anyways, good to hear of good, young, talented depth, especially with the Rams having lost 3 starting seniors from last season.