Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Spring Practice

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2019 Spring Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer63 View Post
    I think pretty much everybody would be happy if they did the spring "whatever it is" on a Saturday at 4:00 and opened up tailgating from 10;30 until 3;30. And if KVLY would show the plays and have the announcers talk in the background instead of just showing 4 guys talking for and hour and a half. And if the players wanted to throw in an autograph signing for kids under 12 on the morning of, it couldn't hurt. There... I fixed it.
    Preach It!!!
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    So, you’re saying we should make our own fun?
    We should be able to handle that
    I think pretty much everybody would be happy if they did the spring "whatever it is" on a Saturday at 4:00 and opened up tailgating from 10;30 until 3;30. And if KVLY would show the plays and have the announcers talk in the background instead of just showing 4 guys talking for and hour and a half. And if the players wanted to throw in an autograph signing for kids under 12 on the morning of, it couldn't hurt. There... I fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think in their minds they are "fixing it" because this is their solution \/\/\/\/\/\/

I know the coaches view the spring game as a nuisance and I'm guessing that had a lot to do with how hamstrung KVLY was with showing the on field action (purely a guess on my part). I would also guess that in 5 years there won't be any kind of public scrimmage at the end of spring ball anymore. By making it less and less of an event they'll ease the shock of when they eventually don't have it anymore. This is a surely a foolproof plan and I'm sure there will be little to no bitching on Bisonville about it when/if it does happen.
    I agree with your reasons this is going away but it's a bad idea IMO. This is a missed opportunity to engage the fans and help fund the program in the off season. The coaches and administration might want to understand that winning a championship isn't going to happen every year and counting on all those extra practices and PO games every year will eventually end. I'm not sure how much they make from the spring "game" but I think it was a nice little chunk a few years ago before they started phasing it out. Every little bit helps the budget IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I agree with your reasons this is going away but it's a bad idea IMO. This is a missed opportunity to engage the fans and help fund the program in the off season. The coaches and administration might want to understand that winning a championship isn't going to happen every year and counting on all those extra practices and PO games every year will eventually end. I'm not sure how much they make from the spring "game" but I think it was a nice little chunk a few years ago before they started phasing it out. Every little bit helps the budget IMO.
    I don't think they made much money on it in the past. Tailgating was/is free, admission was/is free. They probably made a bit off of selling tickets to the Bison showcase and the silent auction but it's not like they need to put on a spring game to do that.

There's potential for it to make money but if they started charging $5 to get into the dome or $5 a spot for tailgating is that worth it from the AD's perspective and is the cost worth it from a fan's perspective? If they started charging admission to the game or tailgating sure they'd catch plenty of flak for trying to squeeze more money out of fans for a pretty crappy product (meaning from an entertainment perspective - let's face it the spring game/scrimmage is boring as hell). I don't think there's an easy solution since they're going to piss off a certain group of people no matter whether they try to amp up the event and make some money off of it or if they try to phase the event out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I don't think they made much money on it in the past. Tailgating was/is free, admission was/is free. They probably made a bit off of selling tickets to the Bison showcase and the silent auction but it's not like they need to put on a spring game to do that.

There's potential for it to make money but if they started charging $5 to get into the dome or $5 a spot for tailgating is that worth it from the AD's perspective and is the cost worth it from a fan's perspective? If they started charging admission to the game or tailgating sure they'd catch plenty of flak for trying to squeeze more money out of fans for a pretty crappy product (meaning from an entertainment perspective - let's face it the spring game/scrimmage is boring as hell). I don't think there's an easy solution since they're going to piss off a certain group of people no matter whether they try to amp up the event and make some money off of it or if they try to phase the event out completely.
    One reason that the game was held on Friday was-------Every coach was on the recruiting trail right after the game Friday. Two coaches were on a plane right after the game headed to KC so they could meet with some recruits Sat mourning.

But I will say there sure as hell wasnt much interest in it this year. Nobody bitched until I threw the bait out there. Usually there is non-stop spring game talk on this venue. Not hardly a peep this year.

I think a lot of folks are realizing how freaking boring the game is .
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    One reason that the game was held on Friday was-------Every coach was on the recruiting trail right after the game Friday. Two coaches were on a plane right after the game headed to KC so they could meet with some recruits Sat mourning.

But I will say there sure as hell wasnt much interest in it this year. Nobody bitched until I threw the bait out there. Usually there is non-stop spring game talk on this venue. Not hardly a peep this year.

I think a lot of folks are realizing how freaking boring the game is .
    Thanks, Pat.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Default 2019 Spring Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Thanks, Pat.
    People also need to keep in mind our extended seasons over the last decade and how games and practice beat the hell out of all players, whether game roster players and or scout team. They all need time to recuperate and get stronger from training. Extended seasons limit both of those VERY important things when it comes to being ready for the next season of play. I guess if you haven’t done it/been there, you don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    People also need to keep in mind our extended seasons over the last decade and how games and practice beat the hell out of all players, whether game roster players and or scout team. They all need time to recuperate and get stronger from training. Extended seasons limit both of those VERY important things when it comes to being ready for the next season of play. I guess if you haven’t done it/been there, you don’t get it.
    Welcome back CAS. All you have to do to get it is have some common sense.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Fun part of spring game is getting a peak at new players who might make an impact in the coming season. With the new freshman rule we get an even better picture of that during games the previous season. Just looking on the bright side, this makes the spring game less important for me as a fan. Whatever it ends up being, it's fun as a fan to sit in and watch a practice in person. It's just a part of the program most people don't get to see otherwise. The format is definitely going in a downward trend for something that is suitable for broadcast on TV though.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Fun part of spring game is getting a peak at new players who might make an impact in the coming season. With the new freshman rule we get an even better picture of that during games the previous season. Just looking on the bright side, this makes the spring game less important for me as a fan. Whatever it ends up being, it's fun as a fan to sit in and watch a practice in person. It's just a part of the program most people don't get to see otherwise. The format is definitely going in a downward trend for something that is suitable for broadcast on TV though.
    The latter part of your post: That’s not a bad thing. Would’nt you rather see wins in Fall than watching OUR team beat the shit out of each other in Spring game that really means nothing? Players have won their position in practice already.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.