Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Wrestled. Was mainly a Greco guy due to my throwing ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wrestled starting in 8th grade in the AAU under the High School coach. Then was on the high school team in high school. In practice I was very good. The coach had me wrestle from my 132 weight class up to 180 pound class. I was very good at take downs and could block the opponents attempt for a take down on me. The problem with me was against other teams in matches in front of crowds.
    When I got out in front of the crowd I froze and begin to think instead of act. (I did not have the athletes mindset) I still enjoyed wrestling my team mates but would never make a true wrestler because of my fear of loosing in front of a crowed.
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    Wrestled in high school and college. Not into WWE type stuff. Didn't have cable as a kid to watch that stuff anyway.
    I watched the NWA raslin stuff as a kid in the 70s. I knew it wasn't real then but watched anyway
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    I have followed Monken since he was an assistant at Navy. The guy is a hard nosed, classy old school coach. Hard for me to say the Go A...! thing, but Monken is a class act...unfortunately his offense will likely limit is ability to move up to bigger better FBS teams, if he continues his current level of success, he will be at the Point for a long, long time.
    Navy has done very well running it & Monken has turned around Army with it. I don't see Monken changing his offensive scheme much. Of the 3 Academies Army has the most trouble getting players.

I haven't seen any old footage of him. He's probably on some old VHS tapes of the 84' and 88' Olympic Trials in our storage unit. If it exists, my predecessor would probably have it as he had all those tapes digitalize before he retired. Unfortunately, he took everything with him when he left, so when I need something, I either have to wait to see if he can find it (he's still a pretty busy guy) or I get to "enjoy" the process of finding the footage myself.

This process becomes too much fun when third party companies need old footage for their project. We ran into this when working with those that did the Team Foxcatcher (https://www.netflix.com/title/80044093) documentary and currently with those who are doing a project on Kurt Angle. It's literally looking for a needle in the haystack. I'm just glad when MMA companies like the UFC needs footage, it's for athletes that competed during my tenure in the video department, and therefore, will already have their footage readily available in digital format on hard drives and easy to find.
    I've wanted to see tape of Severn wrestling in his prime. Apparently he could pin any olympic wrestling except Banach who edged Severn in the olympic trials. Keep your peeled

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    I've wanted to see tape of Severn wrestling in his prime. Apparently he could pin any olympic wrestling except Banach who edged Severn in the olympic trials. Keep your peeled
    Not sure about the pinning part, but during the 1984 Olympic Team Trails, Severn had quite a bit of convincing wins in the qualifier part of the tournament at 100 KG in Freestyle wrestling. The only fall he had there was against Greg Gibson, who would go on to win a Silver in Los Angeles in Greco-Roman. Severn lost the finals to Lou Banach, 6-1, setting him up as the number two (I believe the top four would advance) on the ladder for the final trails of the tournament. Severn would pin Greg Gibson to set up a rematch with Banach in the best out of three finals. Banach pins Severn in the first match, Severn gets a late two-point turn to tie the match at four a piece and wins by criteria. In the final match, Banach wins 7-5 in what I've heard was a pretty controversial match.

Severn did win a World Title as a Junior in 1977, but probably his biggest win in his career was over the Soviet Union's Leri Chabelov, (an eight-time World Champion - five in the Senior division) at the 1986 World Cup.

If you want to see Severn against another beast, here is a video of him wrestling Bruce Baumgartner (one our country's most decorated international wrestlers, and USAW's current President) to a draw at collegiate All-Star Match.

Hail the BISON!!!

I remember when Moan and I took on Severn and Banach in a tag teem match in the back area of a bar once. Seven and Banach double teamed Moan in the first 15 seconds and threw Moan on top of me. While Moan fought on I was crushed and had cracked ribs. I can't remember what happened exactly, but what I remember is Banach carrying Seven of in a fire mans carry to his car. Moan had a fifth of Everclear in his hand calling the punks back.

Is that the way you recall it Moan?

Bwha, ha ha...……. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsTALON View Post
    I remember when Moan and I took on Severn and Banach in a tag teem match in the back area of a bar once. Seven and Banach double teamed Moan in the first 15 seconds and threw Moan on top of me. While Moan fought on I was crushed and had cracked ribs. I can't remember what happened exactly, but what I remember is Banach carrying Seven of in a fire mans carry to his car. Moan had a fifth of Everclear in his hand calling the punks back.

Is that the way you recall it Moan?

Bwha, ha ha...……. ;-)
    Well, in my defense, I was only eight at the time, and therefore, completely plausible.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Well, in my defense, I was only eight at the time, and therefore, completely plausible.
    Well Seven and Banach weren't in there prime when it happened. I just remember you smacking them around in the bar. I said to myself, TALON, this Moan guy has gumpion & I have to try & back him up. Thanks for dropping me off at a Nevada barrowful and paying for my rehab. They took care of me well! ;-)

Not sure about the pinning part, but during the 1984 Olympic Team Trails, Severn had quite a bit of convincing wins in the qualifier part of the tournament at 100 KG in Freestyle wrestling. The only fall he had there was against Greg Gibson, who would go on to win a Silver in Los Angeles in Greco-Roman. Severn lost the finals to Lou Banach, 6-1, setting him up as the number two (I believe the top four would advance) on the ladder for the final trails of the tournament. Severn would pin Greg Gibson to set up a rematch with Banach in the best out of three finals. Banach pins Severn in the first match, Severn gets a late two-point turn to tie the match at four a piece and wins by criteria. In the final match, Banach wins 7-5 in what I've heard was a pretty controversial match.

Severn did win a World Title as a Junior in 1977, but probably his biggest win in his career was over the Soviet Union's Leri Chabelov, (an eight-time World Champion - five in the Senior division) at the 1986 World Cup.

If you want to see Severn against another beast, here is a video of him wrestling Bruce Baumgartner (one our country's most decorated international wrestlers, and USAW's current President) to a draw at collegiate All-Star Match.

That's an interesting watch. Was Bruce at a higher weight at this point?

I guess the story I heard was Severn had previously pinned all of the wrestlers that Banach ended up wrestling in the olympics. No idea if its true. I also discovered today that Severn had 2 brothers that were all american wrestlers at asu.

That's an interesting watch. Was Bruce at a higher weight at this point?

I guess the story I heard was Severn had previously pinned all of the wrestlers that Banach ended up wrestling in the olympics. No idea if its true. I also discovered today that Severn had 2 brothers that were all american wrestlers at asu.
    In college, both were heavyweights. I believe back then heavyweight was still unlimited as Tab Thacker competed around this time. In Freestyle, Severn and Banach were 100 KG (220 LBS) wrestlers while Baumgartner was in the unlimited weight class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!