Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

Default Re: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Mud game in the playoffs at Pitt State.....I want to say 1994?
    I was a fan before this game. But that game is one of my all time favorties. But it was not in 1990.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Started listening to a few games during their domination in the 80's and it built from there. Didn't attend a live game until I was a freshman in the fall of 1989. Always looked forward to the UN_ game each year as it was televised statewide. The fact that all of our games are now televised is absolutely a huge feather in NDSU's cap, and I'm sure has made many a fan out of people who may not otherwise be. The 12 year stretch of beating the school up north was a blast. Not a particular game, but the late season playoff games at Dacotah Field when the other team would come out bundled in heavy clothes and the long poncho type coats were awesome!

2004 52-0 win over Valparaiso

I was a freshman. First bison game

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Then there's the game when the Bison beat #1 UND in GF in a big comeback. Early to mid 70s I think. Can somebody help me fill in the blanks? I can't seem to ever remember this stuff in detail. Severson did a bootleg (untouched) to win the game. The UND crowd was silent...which is the way it should be.
    That was 1972.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    NDSU vs. Ashland in 1986. Was in high school, and was at Dacotah field that "fine and lovely day" with my older brother to see a 50-0 drubbing.
    Have you seen the video of it?

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Bison vs. Morningside Maroon Chiefs in late 60's at Dacotah Field. Had to be told early in the game that the guys in Green/Gold were "our" Bison, NOT the Green Bay Packers.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I will add that while memories are bit vague from the 80's and early 90's, I do know I was around to see Jeff Bentrim and Phil Hanson. I didn't know the significance of how good those guys really were at the time, but I was aware there was something that set them apart from the rest.

Can I just mention how great of a job parenting my parents did raising me to be a Bison fan?!!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by T-herd View Post
    2004 52-0 win over Valparaiso

I was a freshman. First bison game
    I was in the Valpo training room a couple of months after that game.
    Their trainer said....."We had no idea we were walking into something like that!"....talking about the dome atmosphere, etc.

The year we beat Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the playoffs. Memory is a little foggy, but I think that's the year the football team was sent home for Thanksgiving break as there was no way we were going to make the playoffs, until all the right teams lost in the final week of the regular season. Anyway, I believe we backed into the playoffs, and then won the National Championship.....I was hooked

Correction: We beat Cal Davis the year we got into the playoffs late (I had to fire up the old VCR and watch "100 years of Tradition" to find out the answer. Tape is in remarkably good shape)

What year did we play Cal Poly SLO in the playoffs? Or am I not remembering correctly.
    Last edited by North End Zone Resident; 02-27-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    I was in the Valpo training room a couple of months after that game.
    Their trainer said....."We had no idea we were walking into something like that!"....talking about the dome atmosphere, etc.
    Saw a couple assistant valpo coaches at Taco Bell after the game. They were impressed with the gold crowd and asked if there was a t-shirt giveaway(wasn’t). They said something similar to us about the atmosphere.