Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

Quote Originally Posted by KC Bison View Post
    My brother got me interested in the late 1970's. I stayed fairly involved until 1985-1989 when we lived in DC with almost no information (prior to internet). Been in KC since 1989 but with internet (Bisonville and the Forum and ESPN3 and Plus) keep up with everything going on with the team.
    I forgot to mention that I was almost desperate to keep tabs of the team when I moved away. For the two years that I lived in Michigan and for the first 2 or 3 years here in Oregon, I was a subscriber to the Fargo Forum Sunday Edition mailed to me every week. For the most part, it was solely to keep up with the football team but they wouldn't let me just pay for August through December only.
    Insert something clever here...

I don't have an exact game, but it started when my parents took our family to a couple games in the late 80's (Mike Favor and Jim Dick teams). Coming from a small 9-man town, Bison football was awesome. Neither of my parents were huge sports fans and both attended UND-Ellendale so I'm convinced they were spending the time and money for the trip for my sake.

I was hooked after watching the physicality and execution of Bison football. It was the way football was meant to be played. After seeing campus and the energy in the student section, I attended a couple Bison basketball camps while Erv Inniger was coach. I got to stay in the dorms, play in the BSA and knew I wanted to go to college there. The Ag department also swayed me to NDSU. My senior year in HS, I had opportunities to play football at some small schools and even a walk-on offer from Rocky, but my mind was made up to go to NDSU.

During my time at NDSU, I can't remember a game I missed. We started our own pre-game in Reed Hall and later on, in University Village, tapping a keg as soon as Chub's was open to pick up our keg. This also makes me wonder why Coors ever did away with the Party Ball? We could easily smuggle that 5 gallons of glory into the dorms. I was at the infamous game where someone in the student section threw a wiskey bottle at Ed Schulz in the pressbox. I'm guessing someone on this board knows who threw it. The student section in those days was an alcoholic convention. It was glorious.

I graduated in 1992 but made a point to return to Fargo for the first game in the Dome. I wanted to see what 18,000 really looked like compared to the ''Announced attendance" at Dakotah Field that was inflated to get the Dome built. Well, Beachy blew his knee out at that game. I didn't attend a home game in Fargo until the last 3 or 4 years.

I made it to a playoff game at Northwest Missouri State in 1997??? Bison lost and it wasn't the same style of play I remembered. Then, in 2010 when NDSU came to Lawrence, I made a point to go. I dragged family and friends to the game and the passion was revived. I've been to every FBS game since, several road games and all Natty's in Frisco. Even hosted a tailgate in Manhattan. Bison Football has become a family gathering and priority.

My parents are now huge Bison football fans and would probably be pissed off if a couple Saturdays in the Fall didn't involve Bison football in Fargo. They are also now regular Frisco attendees. I was even able to get my son's best friend to go to Frisco for the JMU game. Both his friend's parents are Bunny grads and he's now a converted Bison fan.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I went to a few games during the '91 season with my dad. I remember bundling up in my snowmobile suit being miserable. But things all changed in '92, I went to a game with my dad and my best friend. I ran into the student teacher from my class, who I found out was Arden Beachy's brother. Got to meet Arden and his parents and go into the locker room after the game. There was no turning back after that! I was a Bison fan from there on out and was #3 for the rest of my time playing any sport.

It's interesting to see a lot of waning support on here towards the end of the D2 days. I was kind of the same. Started at NDSU in the fall of '02 and joined a fraternity and was surprised that there was never really a group that would go to games. Got the feeling that no one really cared until the Montana game, I was watching in my room by myself, thinking there was really no interest in the game until the Bison went ahead. The house erupted, everyone kind of creeped out their doors in awe that everyone else was watching. Attendance at games changed after that.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I went to a few games during the '91 season with my dad. I remember bundling up in my snowmobile suit being miserable. But things all changed in '92, I went to a game with my dad and my best friend. I ran into the student teacher from my class, who I found out was Arden Beachy's brother. Got to meet Arden and his parents and go into the locker room after the game. There was no turning back after that! I was a Bison fan from there on out and was #3 for the rest of my time playing any sport.

It's interesting to see a lot of waning support on here towards the end of the D2 days. I was kind of the same. Started at NDSU in the fall of '02 and joined a fraternity and was surprised that there was never really a group that would go to games. Got the feeling that no one really cared until the Montana game, I was watching in my room by myself, thinking there was really no interest in the game until the Bison went ahead. The house erupted, everyone kind of creeped out their doors in awe that everyone else was watching. Attendance at games changed after that.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I keep telling people that I watched that Montana game at the Turf with my friend and we were literally the only people in the back room watching on the big screen. I'm sure the Babich years didn't do much for fan engagement but that shows just how far we've come.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    New Hampshire game 2013
    Frisco vs EWU

Grew up on a cattle ranch in the Southwest part of North Dakota, with four older siblings having attended NDSU, began listening in 1982 or 1983 because we were able to finally get a radio station to come in (i.e. Jamestown). I came to live for a Saturday afternoon game being on the tractor or in the shop fixing something. Not much has changed except my physical location and that I listen to it live via Bison 1660 app.
    A few of the more memorable games...listening to "the PITCH" live vs USD in 1985 (I think it was this year)....listening to the Mud Bowl series against Pitt State while I was stuck at work in Wichita (later worked with the Pitt State starting Center who loved talking about those battles)...Great Thread!

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsTALON View Post
    Thanks AK.

The first 2 GSU/NDSU games really didn't shock me, but GSU was at full strength in the 3rd game and you pulled that one out. That game made me a believer in NDSUs prowess and capabilities. That game was a nail blighter as a semifinal should be!
    We are talking about the same game. GSU1 and GSU2 on bisonville is in reference to those semi final games. The last had so much extra drama associated with it since it was GSU's last game in FCS. Then to top it off, your coach brings out his players early to disrupt the NDSU tunnel walk cranking up the atmosphere to 11. It had all the makings of a heavyweight tilt, good times.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Double Post.....

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    New Hampshire game 2013
    That game hooked me for going online to get tickets for my first of 4 trips to Frisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not till "death do us part"....unless you make another call like that ...you bum!!
    .........good grief..........

My sister brought me to a Bison game in about 1963 or 64. I was in elementary school...and was totally fascinated by the team, the uniforms, and the crowd. What year did Mudra and Erhardt come to coach? Think it was them.

Got to see the program turning into a long-term dynasty.

Then there's the game when the Bison beat #1 UND in GF in a big comeback. Early to mid 70s I think. Can somebody help me fill in the blanks? I can't seem to ever remember this stuff in detail. Severson did a bootleg (untouched) to win the game. The UND crowd was silent...which is the way it should be.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.