Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

Default Re: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

The first time I watched Lamar Gordon run for a long TD.

I remembered going to games years before that, but that's my first distinct "oh yeah I'm in!" moment.

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    First D1 game against Valpo hooked me. Georgia Southern 2 Semi-final took it to a whole another level, it was easily the best gameday experience I have ever been apart of.
    Thanks AK.

The first 2 GSU/NDSU games really didn't shock me, but GSU was at full strength in the 3rd game and you pulled that one out. That game made me a believer in NDSUs prowess and capabilities. That game was a nail blighter as a semifinal should be!
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Shamefully, I was given a hand-me-down UND t-shirt from some family friends and was wearing it while listening to the Bison-Sioux game while hunting with my dad around 1982 or so. The radio broadcast got me interested somehow in the Bison instead. I was around 11 years old at the time. The t-shirt was soon "lost" in the laundry somehow...

Somewhere around '85 or '86, my dad and I attended the Bison-Sioux games every year, coordinating deer hunting around it. (Yes, it IS possible!!) I remember going to Dacotah Field for the first time, my dad loading up on coffee, me on hot chocolate, taking a warming break in the BSA at halftime, and watching the rowdies in the student section across the stadium from us. The experience of Bison Football grabbed hold of me then. We listened to a lot of games on the radio back then. My dad and I had our first beer together while listening the the '88 championship game. I still remember that moment very fondly.

I started college in the fall of 1989, which was a 'tween year, void of a championship. I went to every home game for my entire college career (6 years) and about 40-50% of the away games, which consisted of easy drives back then. Drove to Florence, Alabama for the NC in 1990 and had an absolute blast. I also assumed that we'd be back again pretty soon. I got one of the "Thunder Zone" t-shirts for the first game in the student section at the Fargodome. Still have it. (It seems to have shrunk.) That was a fun day at the beginning but a bummer feeling leaving after Beachy's injury.

On a side note, I went to many WBB games during college and very few of the men's games. Those ladies really kicked ass. It was cool to go to NC games in the BSA.

I moved to Michigan after graduating in 1995 and still went back to ND for the Bison-Sioux game every year. Moved to Oregon in 1997 and kept the tradition on all years but one up to the DI transition. Admittedly, it was much harder to keep up with the team in those (dark) years given lack of media access, etc. I fell back from the school and team quite a bit at the time.

During the transition, it was awesome to be able to listen to just about every game through internet radio. I listened to miracles in Missoula, San Luis Obispo, and Davis, as well as a couple in Fargo. Scotty Miller was my gateway drug. That Kermit-the-Frog voice completely drew me in. When the video feeds became available, it was always Scotty and Phil dubbed over bad video in the dome.

I've been completely solid since. I try to make it to one game a year, either in Fargo or an away game, plus Frisco as well as watching the rest of the games on TV/webcast/recording. I've missed about 10 games total during the DI era.
    Insert something clever here...

NDSU vs. Ashland in 1986. Was in high school, and was at Dacotah field that "fine and lovely day" with my older brother to see a 50-0 drubbing.

BTW -- Meant to mention it in my first response, but thanks for starting this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I try to make it to one game a year, either in Fargo or an away game, plus Frisco as well as watching the rest of the games on TV/webcast/recording. I've missed about 10 games total during the DI era.
    Living on the west coast makes doing this a bit challenging, but I'm in the same boat. This year I was actually able to make it back to two games with my seven-year old boy. Starting on the next generation of Bison fandom!

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Even if GSU and NDSU don't play each other again I have a NDSU game in the Fargo Dome on my bucket list.
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

December 10, 1983. The Bison beat Central State 41-21 for their 4th National Championship. We were in the delivery room listening to the game when my son was born. The wife wasn't paying too much attention for some reason.
    Last edited by Vet70; 02-26-2019 at 08:47 PM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

No particular game, but started at NDSU in the fall of '77. The games I didn't go to I watched on TV or listened to on the radio. Lost track after I moved to Denver in '85, then reconnected when streaming came out.

Been to every Chipper and every FBS game since '07 Gophers, as well as a smattering of home games here and there and an occasional away game in the scenic towns of Brookings, Springfield, MO, Carbondale, IL, and Youngstown...
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Always been a bison fan, but FBS games has taken my interest to a new level. 7 of 8 is awesome, but leaving me asking, what if. Need to competing against bigger schools, but BB is in a terrible place right now. Need to raise profile of NDSU and make a move.

Biggest games I’ve attended? 1) MN 11 2) Iowa 3) K State

KC Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My brother got me interested in the late 1970's. I stayed fairly involved until 1985-1989 when we lived in DC with almost no information (prior to internet). Been in KC since 1989 but with internet (Bisonville and the Forum and ESPN3 and Plus) keep up with everything going on with the team.