Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

I remember seeing Bison championship games on TV in the 80s but wasn't really into it. My mother was going to UND for grad school at the time so we also went to a couple of their games and I watched UND hockey games on TV also. I have always just been a big sports fan. I went to the first game my freshman year with a high school friend and her roommate. I remember they were more interested in the cheerleaders than the game since they both cheered in HS. I told them to quit being so critical and try out themselves. They both did. My friend ended up cheering for wrestling that year and her roommate made the football squad the following fall! She ended up transferring to Florida State where she cheered for their football team! I like to think I had a hand in that.

I probably went to most of the games while a student including the first season in the Fargodome in 1992. I was involved with the Student Alumni Association (and later helped form Bison Ambassadors from that group) and we would often be hosts in the president's suite. That was especially nice on very cold games. When I moved to Indy I coordinated the satellite sites for Bison-Sioux games.

I guess you could say that first game my freshman year was the game, but there is no doubt I would be following my school's team regardless of which school I attended. It just happens to be a team that has had a ton of success!

1972 Bison vs. Youngstown State at Dakota Field. Last minute of the game, Youngstown State with Ron Jaworski at quarterback is inside the Bison 3 yd. line at the east end of Dakota field. Behind by less than a touchdown and with three tries to score, Steve Nelson from his middle linebacker position stuffed Jaworski three straight times seal victory for the Bison. I remember my heart was just racing. It was a hell of a game. Jaworski was the 37th player taken in the draft in 1973. Nelson was junior and was the 34th player taken in the 1974 draft by the New England Patriots.
    Last edited by phxbison; 02-26-2019 at 06:27 PM.

My dad took me to one game a year in the late 70s when I was small. I enjoyed being at the games but think I was more caught up in the cheering and the mojo of the crowd instead of the actual football game. In 1983 we moved to Dickinson and I began to religiously listen to the games on radio and buying a Sunday Fargo Forum to read up on that weeks game. What a year to get hooked on Bison football - Jeff Bentrim's first year!

1st Gopher game. That got me watching/listening to games whenever possible.

K-State game. That got me attending games whenever possible.

Coming to NDSU from MN in the late 90's there wasn't a lot of buzz to get me interested until the success in the D1 era started. I remember my dad mentioning once during my first tour that NDSU had a good football team, but until the success after the D1 transition there wasn't much happening to get a new student from outside the area like me hooked. My "good old days" stories are remembering listening to Scottie Miller call the Steve Walker comeback against Cal Poly.

Not really a game or season for me, my dad is a huge Bison fan and I remember going to games as a kid and tailgating back before the tailgating is what is now. I was hooked from the start.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Not really a game or season for me, my dad is a huge Bison fan and I remember going to games as a kid and tailgating back before the tailgating is what is now. I was hooked from the start.
    So, from birth? I'm impressed. Did you pee green then yellow?

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The 2nd GSU/NDSU game peeked my, interest but it was the 3rd GSU/NDSU game and NDSUs playoff records that made me respect and admire your program. (CONSISTANCY)

TALON
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

.... the persistent, never-give-up, "destroy-the-would be tackler" running of fearless Tyler Roehl in his first 2 years (.. yes, he continued to run well in last 2 years...... but I was already hooked by then).

The fall of 1972. New south stands really changed the environment. Who needs tailgating when you had that student section?

533 In a row

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
    .... the persistent, never-give-up, "destroy-the-would be tackler" running of fearless Tyler Roehl in his first 2 years (.. yes, he continued to run well in last 2 years...... but I was already hooked by then).
    And you've proved that over and over again! (CONSISTANCY)
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison