Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Senate Bill 2297 - Bonding bill - Dunbar Hall

Default Re: Senate Bill 2297 - Bonding bill - Dunbar Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I would be a little bit sad if they decide to tear down Geoscience Hall to make the Dunbar replacement cheaper. It's not a great building, but it's one of the few old NDSU buildings that has at least some character in its design. Granted, it's a distant 9th out of 9 good old buildings.*

*Tier 1 buildings: Minard, Morril, S Engineering, Ceres, Putnam, Old Main
    Tier 2: Churchill, Bentsen Bunker
    Tier 3: Geosciences
    Architectural perfection:

Such sleek modern lines.

Spent a lot of time in that beauty.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post

Such sleek modern lines.
    That was purple, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    That was purple, right?
    Maybe some people who know stoichiometry see beauty in architecture differently than most?

Civil06 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Such sleek modern lines.
    Lotta truth here. I love that the entire engineering complex tells the architecture program we'll do just fine without you. At least I'm assuming an architect wasn't involved.
    "Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts."
    - Henry Blaha

Maybe some people who know stoichiometry see beauty in architecture differently than most?
    I know stoichiometry, like it, and have taught it. Still don't like any of the NDSU buildings constructed during that era. I'll take the Engineering Center that's just out of frame before any of those(and I don't really like the EC). You can have sleek, modern lines and still make a building interesting. The buildings from that era of NDSU are just blah boxes. The music building is a little better(very little). Loftsgard was an attempt to do the same, but I think they failed. IIAC/Burdick is a dog's breakfast. But I also think they ruined Minard with the addition and that the new STEM building was also a mistake, so there's that.

I also dislike UND's campus. Using collegiate gothic in the middle of the upper plains is just stupid and fake. Trying to use architecture to fake something they're not and never will be: Ivy League.

I would love it if NDSU would try and create a Prairie/Modern hybrid to create a new unified architectural vision. Prairie-style was created in and for the upper plains(came out of Chicago and Wisconsin). And I don't know if any other campuses in the world use it as their dominant motif.* Would be something to make NDSU unique like the red-tiled roofs of USC, the grey limestone of IU Bloomington, or the Mission motif of the University of San Diego.

I'll quit now.

*Looks like Florida Southern College uses something on the Prairie/Modern spectrum, but much further to the modern side than I think NDSU should use.

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Such sleek modern lines.
    I've been talking about that building to a few different fellow grads lately. At the time I spent many hours there, I didn't think much about it. But having gone on for grad degrees at other schools and also visiting lots of other schools, I'm kind of surprised the NDSU engineering school can recruit any students or faculty.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mebisonII View Post
    I've been talking about that building to a few different fellow grads lately. At the time I spent many hours there, I didn't think much about it. But having gone on for grad degrees at other schools and also visiting lots of other schools, I'm kind of surprised the NDSU engineering school can recruit any students or faculty.
    At work today, we had a conversation about certain department buildings at NDSU. The convo started because a coworker was spouting off about how SDSU has a nicer campus than NDSU and that is why his daughter goes there and his other daughter is going to join her next year. He said the buildings are newer and nicer than NDSU's. Whatever, I told him, I have never seen the campus just the football field.
    Another coworker, from St Cloud, said he almost passed up on attending NDSU after seeing UMD's engineering buildings because he was very impressed with the architectural designs. He then went on to say UND has a beautiful campus as well (this is where I threw up in my mouth) and he almost went there had it not been for his friends attending NDSU.

This isn't the first time I've heard people get turned off by how unappealing NDSU is aesthetically.
    When I came to NDSU, I was shocked at seeing the buildings of certain departments. I wondered how does an "engineering" and an "architectural" school have the most unappealing buildings?
    Is state funding to blame?

I just thought I would comment because I saw this thread and it was good timing.

gotts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Such sleek modern lines.
    It's fitting it looks like it could be a prison facility given what the Mechanical Engineering classes I took there felt like.
    Golden Rules of Bisonville:
    Being self-aware is knowing your head is firmly planted up your ass
    Never let facts get in the way of a good argument

Surefire Successful Bisonville Conversation Starters: Move to FBS, Scream Yellow, Zipper Merge, Pickleball Championships, Transfer Portal, The Rainforest, Fire Vigen Save Season, Fargodome Expansion, Toxic Locker Rooms, Marlboro Matt, Veer Offense, Whale of a Game, Rainin' Bitches, Frisco Cruiser Bus, BYU Fan Voting, Frisco is biased towards NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by gotts View Post
    It's fitting it looks like it could be a prison facility given what the Mechanical Engineering classes I took there felt like.
    I think Nazari would make a good prison warden.