Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Snowflake football rules

Default Re: 2019 Verbal: DJ Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBison View Post
    Guess not. Just wondering how continuing the discussion in the name of DJ Baptist helps retention and recruiting. I guess you all know best. Or personal point scoring is more important that recruiting and retention to BV.

I guess DJ Baptist is supposed to believe that any press is better than no press even when BV folks suggest you created cheap shot.

LET IT GO and CLOSE THIS THREAD! Please.
    Do you really think that recruits come to BV to find out what fans think of them? Do you really think that BV plays a role in our player and recruit retention???? Seriously?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    I'll start by saying I am concerned about my son playing tackle football with all we know, especially when he gets older...that said...

I watched the video, and I think the challenge I and others on here have, is that the more penalties are based on degree of force used, it makes penalties much more of a subjective call than an objective one. If your block sends someone back a yard is that too harsh?, two yards? To the ground? Or are you trying judge intent? What if in the videos the runners had cut or circled back and the lightly blocked player then made the tackle...the coach will tell their players to block harder the next time. It just seems like there is so much more subjectivity in rules for refs which leads to inconsistency and refs impacting game outcomes on really gray area judgments. For example, how many actual non-aggregious (I realize that's not a rulebook term) hits on the qb were personal foul flags this year in the nfl - I saw quite a few and they were sometimes game deciders.
    There is no rule against blocking hard. Many blocks are hard. The issue is blowing up a guy who doesn't see it coming. There is some judgement there but it's not a very difficult one. NFHS addressed it by saying blind side blocks have to lead with your hands. Pretty easy to see if you lead with the hands. The video avoids the blocker clearly takes several steps, lowers his head and hits a defenseless player directly in the ear hole with the crown of his helmet. Not much judgment needed there.

Football is still legally a very violent sport. I see it all the time on the field. Normal tackles are painful. But blowing up a guy who doesn't see it coming is unnecessarily violent. You can "what if" all day but if your solution is to attempt to sever his spleen then I don't know what to tell you. If a runner circles back into an area he has already left and nobody is there to block that defender that's on them.

I agree this conversation should go on some other thread. DJ will likely be an excellent addition to the Bison and hopefully have a great career. We shouldn't tarnish his commitment thread with rule talk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As I have said before about Baptist after the first time I saw his highlight video, "Pretty physical and violent for a WR!!!" Regardless if the block was illegal or not, the coaching staff will get him ready for rules of the game. However, I love how he plays, especially in regards to how he fights for the ball. I don't expect to see this guy gator-arming a pass when a hard hit is imminent, but rather him catching the ball while doling out punishment towards anyone trying to prevent him from making the play. I think his physical style of play will fit well for a Bison player.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Gully Gully Gully my friend. How many times have I told you to not get your rules knowledge from announcers or coaches
    A lot. You do tend to repeat yourself. I'm not arguing the rule, I'm simply stating that's what our coaches taught us. Were you there during my practice?
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Do you really think that recruits come to BV to find out what fans think of them? Do you really think that BV plays a role in our player and recruit retention???? Seriously?
    Google "DJ Baptist" and see where this thread shows up. It was the second page of results for me and the first page from Bing. It's not too big a jump to a player finding a thread about them.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
    Google "DJ Baptist" and see where this thread shows up. It was the second page of results for me and the first page from Bing. It's not too big a jump to a player finding a thread about them.
    This is why everyone should stay away from all social media.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Yep! They don't have to come to BV. Their friends will find this stuff and just spread it around. That's what social media is all about.... face time. If they don't see stuff written about them, their friend do and post it to them.... you have to live in a closet without any life to not know that recruits don't see what social media is saying about them.
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!

Yep! They don't have to come to BV. Their friends will find this stuff and just spread it around. That's what social media is all about.... face time. If they don't see stuff written about them, their friend do and post it to them.... you have to live in a closet without any life to not know that recruits don't see what social media is saying about them.
    Since I dont stalk recruits I guess Im not in that loop.

But I think you are doing a lot of assuming. Not only about him coming to BV but his friends also????

As questioned before I seriously doubt that whats said on BV has any bearing on our recruits. Plus thinking that BV has any bearing on the retention of players is pretty far fetched as well.
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 02-21-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I'm pretty active on twitter and have never seen a post from Bisonville about a recruit on there.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Okay lets say said scenario plays out...and he comes and checks the thread. What is he going to find? A bunch of anonymous posts about whether or not his block was legal. It already went viral...like big time...you think a bunch of people arguing among themselves is going to be the worst he's seen or heard? This is a public forum designed to provide a platform for people with similar interests to discuss those interests. I would actually find it a little bizarre if there wasn't a thread related to his block as it's entirely relevant.

No one has judged his character or insulted the kid personally so there's really nothing to see here.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.