Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Lacrosse

Default Re: 2019 Lacrosse

Quote Originally Posted by moosbah View Post
    I like the optimism about us adding this as a varsity sport, but the Utah situation is a very unique one, where a LOT of pieces had to fall into place and they had the luxury of having a couple high level teams in the neighborhood for competition (AF and Denver). Closest we have is Notre Dame and Michigan and we have nothing in common with those schools.
    Ya the basic piece for Utah was 15.6 million donation by airline executive.

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    Ya the basic piece for Utah was 15.6 million donation by airline executive.
    I didn't realize Drexel, Cleveland St and Jacksonville(Florida) had a lot in common with Michgan....

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I didn't realize Drexel, Cleveland St and Jacksonville(Florida) had a lot in common with Michgan....
    They don't and those programs are good points for start ups, but they have those existing D1 programs in that area. We're sorta in a waste land for D1 programs, until the U of Minn sacks up and tries it. Until that happens, I don't see it happening.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

They don't and those programs are good points for start ups, but they have those existing D1 programs in that area. We're sorta in a waste land for D1 programs, until the U of Minn sacks up and tries it. Until that happens, I don't see it happening.
    I said within next decade and most likely you will see programs in MN, Colorado, Colorado State within that time...With continued expansion of the sport and getting closer to ND, NDSU should have a plan and be ready..

I said within next decade and most likely you will see programs in MN, Colorado, Colorado State within that time...With continued expansion of the sport and getting closer to ND, NDSU should have a plan and be ready..
    I agree with that and hope you are right. It would be nice to be on the somewhat leading edge of that movement if it keeps momentum.

I'd have to think by then Michigan State, Iowa State and other large D-1 schools would hop in there as well, but title 9 will have a say in that to be sure.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

I agree with that and hope you are right. It would be nice to be on the somewhat leading edge of that movement if it keeps momentum.

I'd have to think by then Michigan State, Iowa State and other large D-1 schools would hop in there as well, but title 9 will have a say in that to be sure.
    I looked it costs about $1 to 1.5 million a year to run a decent lacrosse program so title IX shouldn't be as big a problem as one thinks. suprising when I asked Larson about it he didn't even bring in TITLE IX into conservations. His issues are what you said, no HS programs yet and not any schools nearby.

I looked it costs about $1 to 1.5 million a year to run a decent lacrosse program so title IX shouldn't be as big a problem as one thinks. suprising when I asked Larson about it he didn't even bring in TITLE IX into conservations. His issues are what you said, no HS programs yet and not any schools nearby.
    Yeah, I think if the Goophs and possibly Iowa State or someone like Dayton hop on board, it will go a long way to making it happen. Problem is ISU's program is horrible and the Goophs are very mediocre. When Michigan went, they at least had a strong club team, which is why I'm hoping Michigan State will step up sooner than later. Their club team has been strong for awhile and they have to be suffering from little brother syndrome.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

Yeah, I think if the Goophs and possibly Iowa State or someone like Dayton hop on board, it will go a long way to making it happen. Problem is ISU's program is horrible and the Goophs are very mediocre. When Michigan went, they at least had a strong club team, which is why I'm hoping Michigan State will step up sooner than later. Their club team has been strong for awhile and they have to be suffering from little brother syndrome.
    as far as goophs.. I saw 2017 article club coach was thinking within next 6 years. That might have changed since then.. Michigan St was DI until early 90's then dropped it. I know there has been some talk with them about adding it back.

as far as goophs.. I saw 2017 article club coach was thinking within next 6 years. That might have changed since then.. Michigan St was DI until early 90's then dropped it. I know there has been some talk with them about adding it back.
    As much as I don't like the Big 10 as a conference, it would be nice to see U of Minn get D-1 lax, just for the enhanced regional exposure.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

Last note of season.. really impressed with NDSU lacrosse team in that they promote their incoming recruits on twitter/facebook with a picture of them along with position, HS and college grad year... Something you see on lax recruiting sites and varsity sports at NDSU. Something my sons DIII school out east doesn't even do..