Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 1/24: At South Dakota State 7 p.m.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 1/24: At South Dakota State 7 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    We got great culture
    If Matt Larson doesnt fire both basketball coaches, I'm going to call for his firing
    This ^^^^^^ I rarely get to watch NDSU BB here, but I made the grievous error of watching last night. I have no idea how you can leave your most athletic, best scoring players on the bench. Time to drain the swamp, coachstyle.

One of the things I always respected about Conor Riley (former OL Coach) was that he put the best 5 on the field. Moved kids around, some kids had to play out of position, but it made us better as a unit. I can think of a bunch of examples. Sometimes kids were really good at one position, and then had to move as it helped the team. Maybe the kid was even slightly worse at that position, but it maybe made the team better.

Having Deng and Rocky SPLIT 40 minutes exactly evenly is maddening. It is SMALL BALL at its worst. we absolutely NEVER go big on anyone...in a small league. This isn't the big ten. We aren't asking someone to guard the Michigan State PF who is a manchild, this it he Summit League, which is down.

In my opinion, we should start Vinny at the PG spot. Tyson is a MASSIVE two, who pounds people in the post. MAKE SOMEONE DEFEND HIM! Then Sam at the 3 (his natural spot) instead of forcing an 18 year old into the post. Deng at the 4....allowing him to dominate against a typically less physical player, and then Rocky at his natural 5.

Do we get weaker off the bench? Maybe. but, we have solid player to come in too. You cannot play those bigs a ton of minutes together, but it beats getting run out of the gym early. This team lacks ANY swagger. No confidence. THey play nervous and slow. GEt out to a big lead. I really think Horn is a good player and I am Cooks biggest fan. Jared should have his minutes cut deeply. If you want any future, you need to build up the young kids. You cannot tell me Jared is THAT much better than those two on defense. Please. I am a huge fan of Jared. Jared is a role player on a good team. Cam, Horn, Cook can rotate in nicely in the guard spot. Tyson should be showcased in the post against 2 guards.

Also, recruit MORE BIG MEN! You cannot be this thin and forced to play small at all times. Small ball can be fun if used in moderation, not 100% of the time. When we were punishing UND on the low block, I was literally begging to go big on them, they were out of fouls.

Finally, I am absolutey done talking about offense, what we run, etc. This team can score just fine. Someone needs to defend. This is the worst team in the country on defense. Defense is a mentality. Lets start talking more defense and less culture. I want someone to get a hard foul, step up and be a leader. can anyone show emotion?? I remember someone saying Jabril Cox should show less emotion after a big hit, I totally disagree. This is a game, these are kids in a stadium. Show respect and have fun! I would die to see more smile and energy, it would make me want to go more.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Back to the basketball game last night which was a rough one for the Bison. I thought the 2 keys were the Jacks shooting 60+ percent in the first half and the Bison having 18 turnovers for the game. Nobody is going to win in Brookings with those two stats!!

Thank you. Thoughts and prayers to Landon and his family.
    Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I remember talk like this in 2007. What if we run the table? What if we get a bowl invite? What if they vote us #1 even though we can't play in the playoffs? We ended that season with a loss to SDSU.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I predict Deng plays 19 minutes and still leads the team in scoring and all of us complain after the game.
    Boy I am good. Pat myself on the back for predicting this almost exactly. I guess Ward outscored him in the end though.

I agree completely with what Burgundy said for a starting lineup as well, but I may not notice if Richmond makes a change cause I will not watch unless it is like 20 below zero and I have nothing better to do. He is way to stubborn and clueless. It is really hard to recruit bigs for the Summit and now we have two that compliment each other and they don't play enough minutes. Maybe we need more assistant coaches (although it didn't work for the stubborn Thibs either) on the Bench like the NBA to suggest things like we need to play them together like what happened for the USD game. It is the most baffling thing that after we dominate the USD game we would not be using a big lineup. I am going to stop complaining cause it is a waste of my time.

It is so funny to listen to commenters basically ask the same questions about the lack of playing time for Deng as we do. Unless Deng is like Michael Beasley in practice and screwing off all the time which I don't believe is happening a six grade traveling BB coach would have way better rotations than we have.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

The same shit is going to continue to happen as long as Dave is coach here. Post issues since he took over, defense has dropped off, kids not playing physical/tough, players not playing to their abilities. Samuelson is a spot up shooter. We're talking about the same stuff after every game, but nothing changes. Coaches have to adapt. I went to the BSC-NDSCS game over watching this one, cuz I knew it was going to be over within the first 5 minutes.
    Last edited by ndsubison1; 01-25-2019 at 04:38 PM.

I understand Quayle is a good kid, but damn, how the hell does he get only 3 less minutes than Deng? Imo he should barely see the floor.

We have talent that can be utilized, but it isnt. Before the season I clamored for Wilson to not redshirt this season due to this exact situation happening this season. Kreuser and Geu are both good players and it's hampering the team to not play them together most of the game. Id rather have coach overplay them than underplay them.
    Last edited by ndsubison1; 01-25-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    We have talent that can be utilized, but it isnt. Before the season I clamored for Wilson to not redshirt this season due to this exact situation happening this season. Kreuser and Geu are both good players and it's hampering the team to not play them together most of the game.
    I feel if he didnt redshirt Richman would still find a reason not to play them both at the same time. He's unwilling to make changes.

That starting 5 makes to dang much sense Burgundy!!!!