Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Resolution would eliminate names, locations of universities, colleges from ND Const

Default Re: Resolution would eliminate names, locations of universities, colleges from ND Con

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    I'm a UND grad but I'd say flagship in Bismark. Grand Forks wouldn't need a 4 year being so close to Fargo. I think geography is important, but the location also depends on your goals. Attendance would prob be higher in Fargo, but I think a more centrally located flagship would better serve the state, as there would be easier access (distance) in more areas of the state.
    I get where you’re coming from and it does SEEM fairer, but efficiency and ease of access are more important. You’re basically selling a product/products to the tech, industry and commerce centers immediately east of ND, as well as using lots of resources from the same place, including students.

Since you’d run it from Bismarck, you just have to spin it the right way to make it fair. Plus Fargo is bigger and being closer to Mpls it would be easier to recruit. I personally find Bismarck to be a beautiful place/setting, but it is a bit isolated geographically.

If you think of ND higher ed as a business – as I think you should – then limiting it to just ND students doesn't make sense. Do you want ND to grow? Do you want regional kids, from say NW MN to come work in Fargo? To me that’s just common sense, but maybe people out west don't want growth.

Plus you know that if they had put UND in Fargo you'd be all over it ...

Default Re: Resolution would eliminate names, locations of universities, colleges from ND Con

Bismarck had their chance. The story goes that they had their choice between the penitentiary and University and decided on the better class of clientele.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

This has been an excellent discussion.
    I will guarantee this will not be the case in Bismarck.
    They will not allow any school to be closed or changed. I get it. It is the lifeblood of some of these communities
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

That might have been true in the old days. My mom is Irish and my dad is German. Even in the late 1950s, my dad lived with with a co-worker at the V.A. hospital and they have been friends since then. His mom was born in Norway and could not understand how her son could like a German after what happened in WWII. My dad's dad left Germany for Canada in the middle of WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    And they had to split off half the state because the Irish and Germans couldn't get along.

Man, I hate the Irish.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    This has been an excellent discussion.
    I will guarantee this will not be the case in Bismarck.
    Over 100 views just today so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    The big university campus has become far too much of a place for extended adolescence.
    Disagree.

It's extended adolescence for fools regardless of where you go.

Borrowing large sums of money that you will not be able to repay - foolish.

Doesn't matter if you're spending it on tacos or tuition. Stupid.

There are many, many responsible people aged 17+ who do great at university, because they take it seriously.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Disagree.

It's extended adolescence for fools regardless of where you go. True statement

Borrowing large sums of money that you will not be able to repay - foolish. Your house loan will be bigger and you will borrow more for vehicle in your lifetime but can pay those back. I never get that agreement it can not be paid back.

Doesn't matter if you're spending it on tacos or tuition. Stupid. Wrong, tacos financed over loan time stupid, Tuition over an equal time as tacos way better.

There are many, many responsible people aged 17+ who do great at university, because they take it seriously.
    FIFY
    This is true as well

You get out of your college education what you put into it.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

I just saw this on SS and it strikes me as relevant (and no, I’m not Milo, but I do find his argument to be rational).

NDSU - $27M athletic budget with 29 % allocated (no hockey)
    UND - $28M athletic budget with 47 % allocated (with hockey)

Using the above numbers, a UND FB fan is basically saying 'The (UND) budget is plenty big to be competitive in multiple sports’ as an argument for why UND should expect to be competitive in both FB and MIH (never mind that the numbers above leave just $1M for MIH compared to a comparable FB-only budget at NDSU).

This suggests that some fans up there expect to fund both MIH and FB at competitive levels by getting an even larger amount of their athletic $$ from the state (as opposed to generating it themselves). Am I reading that correctly?

Is that justifiable/fair? Since so many people are looking at this thread, perhaps they could log in and comment. I think this is worthy of a rational discussion, especially since it relates to how ND allocates funds for higher education.

No smack, just rational discussion.
    Last edited by WhoRepsTheLurker; 02-04-2019 at 08:32 PM. Reason: clarity (since people might actually read it)

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    I just saw this on SS and it strikes me as relevant (and no, I’m not Milo, but I do find his argument to be rational).

NDSU - $27M athletic budget with 29 % allocated (no hockey)
    UND - $28M athletic budget with 47 % allocated (with hockey)

'The (UND) budget is plenty big to be competitive in multiple sports’ as an argument for why UND should expect to be competitive in both FB and MIH (never mind that it just leaves $1M for MIH if no additional $$ comes from the state).

This suggests that some of the fans up there expect to fund both MIH and FB at competitive levels by getting an even larger (and more disproportionate, wrt NDSU) amount of their athletic $$ from the state (as opposed to generating it themselves). Am I reading that correctly?

Is that justifiable/fair? Since so many people are looking at this thread, perhaps they could log in and comment. I think this is worthy of a rational discussion, especially since it relates to how ND allocates funds for higher education.

Please no smack, just rational discussion.

What's somewhat frustrating when trying to analyze the finances of each AD is the way the Ralph is run. For instance, they have to take in at least a couple million in concession sales each year, but this revenue doesn't get allocated to the UND AD. I believe the same is true for Ralph advertising and suite sales (maybe), even though the Ralph is a non profit where its sole mission is to benefit UND athletics. The Ralph also takes half of UND's ticket revenue in all sports, including football. Without seeing more in depth financials from the Ralph, it's hard to say how much revenue and expenses the UND AD really generates.

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    Without seeing more in depth financials from the Ralph, it's hard to say how much revenue and expenses the UND AD really generates.
    It would be interesting to see that.