Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Resolution would eliminate names, locations of universities, colleges from ND Const

Default Re: Resolution would eliminate names, locations of universities, colleges from ND Con

They probably have to file a 990 so at least some the Ralph’s financial results should be public.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Default Re: Resolution would eliminate names, locations of universities, colleges from ND Con

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    They probably have to file a 990 so at least some the Ralph’s financial results should be public.
    That is correct. There are two other non profits that are involved with the management of the Ralph and money gets transferred back and forth so it's difficult to track. I also think their reporting period is sometime in the spring, after spring semester, and the Athletic Department reports to the NCAA are based on the calendar year.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opi...rd-less-likely

Not looking good for reform, at least according to MJ, but an interesting take at the end (with obvious implications). I still view some type of consolidation as inevitable.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    My exercise isn't ground up, but it tries to be a reworking of the whole thing given the existing infrastructure. I believe in specialization; pick a narrow field, but be damned good at it.

NDSU & UND stay mostly the same. Maybe trade some programs in a perfect world(say swap the NDSU health science programs for all of UND's engineering programs, or something like that). Strip most(90%) of the grad programs from the other campuses.

Dickinson becomes a liberal arts campus with an emphasis in natural & earth history and natural resources. Geology, anthropology, paleontology, etc. plus maybe a 4-year petroleum engineering program or the like. Make use of the nearby fossil beds, oil/coal/nat gas, and the only decently interesting geology in the state. Minot would be a duplicate of Dickinson except with a different focus. Maybe something in the humanities. Languages, poli-sci & international relations, perhaps. Maybe something more useful. Perfect world might be the law school, but I doubt that would fly.

Bismarck and Valley City become strictly 2-year prep schools for students that wouldn't do well going straight to the big 4-year schools, esp. NDSU & UND. High rigor, but small class sizes and more comprehensive student support. The two schools would work closely with the 4-year schools so that students would transition seamlessly.

Williston and Wahpeton become hard-core trade schools and drop the 'trying to be everything' mindset. Both have the same core sets of programs, but Williston focuses on natural resource tech(partners with Dickinson), while Wahpeton focuses on high-tech(partners with NDSU). I don't know what to do about NDSCS-Fargo. Leave it alone, fold it into NDSU, spin it off into a separate campus? All options have issues.

Devil's Lake becomes an outpost for limited classes where online just doesn't cut it. Four to nine week classes taught by instructors from other campuses. I'm thinking a limited welding class held every couple years, or a practical intro to health careers. Stuff like that where 75% of the coursework could be done online, but sometimes you just need to get your hands dirty. Maybe a dozen permanent staff, plus visiting instructors. One small dorm(not full time), one regular classroom building, one trades classroom building, one support building.

Bottineau becomes purely an outpost for NDSU forestry students to do short-term learning in ND's only forest. One dorm(only for a few weeks a year), one classroom building, maybe one building to handle everything else. Classes normally held during the summer for 4-6 weeks, and single weeks during winter break and spring break. Maybe a half dozen permanent staff to maintain the buildings and grounds.

Mayville is closed completely. It's just too close to NDSU, UND, VCSU & LRSC.

There, a plan that I'm sure has tons of holes and is completely impractical. You probably notice there are pairs of almost everything. Perfect world would be one of each. The pairs are a nod to the political reality of east vs west in the state.
    I would actually take this a step further...

Encourage Minot to privatize and offer incentives and debt reduction to do so. UJ is thriving and thats a great model for them to follow.

I like your idea with Bott, but I would expand the forestry and wildlife offerings...or we could just close it.

Close Mayville

I like your idea with Dickinson state. In fact the state should double down there and create a "Tech" system with Williston, BSC, and Whap as the feeder schools. Williston would be pissed but let's face it, that towns a shithole and would be a terrible place to have the college experience. Rename Dickinson to North Dakota Tech and spend the money saved from the reorganization to turn what is currently a laughing stock into a shining jewel with a new mission. A Presidential Library on campus would be a great start. The other option would be to go all in NDSCS as the head of the Tech system. It's a great school as is and wouldn't need it's image rebuilt.

Your spot on with Lake Region.

Valley City is a tough one but they either go private or except a new mission.
    Last edited by AKBison; 02-14-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Not sure what the goal of this is but it could make it easier for the elimination or a downgrade to certain western 4 year colleges.

https://www.inforum.com/news/educati...D-Constitution
    Failed in the senate. By a lot. 41-3. The senate version also only included NDSCS and Bott. The idea of the amendment was to leave all the 4-year schools in the constitution and only remove the 2-year schools that were listed.

https://www.inforum.com/news/governm...ails-in-Senate

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    doa........
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Failed in the senate. By a lot. 41-3. The senate version also only included NDSCS and Bott. The idea of the amendment was to leave all the 4-year schools in the constitution and only remove the 2-year schools that were listed.

https://www.inforum.com/news/governm...ails-in-Senate
    Very predictable.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix