Thread: 2019 Summit League Hoops Thread

Default Re: 2019 Summit League Hoops Thread

SDSU’s Macy Miller selected in 3rd round by Seattle in WNBA draft

https://gojacks.com/news/2019/4/10/w...ird-round.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    SDSU’s Macy Miller selected in 3rd round by Seattle in WNBA draft

https://gojacks.com/news/2019/4/10/w...ird-round.aspx
    Wow, that is nice. Good for her. Living the dream yet.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Jenkins commits to UNLV. Will sit out next season

Jacks pick up another nice piece. David Wingett from Winnebago, NE is transferring in from Memphis. I think Wingett ended as a top-5 HS scorer in the state of NE. Had eligibility issues, went to prep school for a year and had an injury at Memphis this past season. He's long, rangy, and can score it. Go look at his HS dunk highlights.

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/rec...87441cd42.html

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    Jacks pick up another nice piece. David Wingett from Winnebago, NE is transferring in from Memphis. I think Wingett ended as a top-5 HS scorer in the state of NE. Had eligibility issues, went to prep school for a year and had an injury at Memphis this past season. He's long, rangy, and can score it. Go look at his HS dunk highlights.

Interesting that he already has been granted a medical redshirt for last season. I thought a student-athlete had to wait until their 5 year clock was up before they could ask for and be granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA. So, if the article is correct, after he sits out this year he'll be a 3rd year freshman in 20/21. He'll be the same age/class as Sam Griesel and Griesel will be a junior that year.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post

and according to his twitter. total punk .
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Interesting that he already has been granted a medical redshirt for last season. I thought a student-athlete had to wait until their 5 year clock was up before they could ask for and be granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA. So, if the article is correct, after he sits out this year he'll be a 3rd year freshman in 20/21. He'll be the same age/class as Sam Griesel and Griesel will be a junior that year.
    I really think that article is wrong. I think when it's all said and done, he'll get three playing season at SDSU, not four. The reason he got NCAA approval for that season was because he was injured after he played a few games. That's not the same as getting approval for a sixth-year exemption. And I don't think he'll qualify for one of those unless he has a damn good reason for transferring to SDSU (like a family member nearby is dying or seriously ill). The sixth-year exemption is for student-athletes who involuntarily lose two seasons; the NCAA almost always treats sitting out for a transfer as a voluntary reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I really think that article is wrong. I think when it's all said and done, he'll get three playing season at SDSU, not four. The reason he got NCAA approval for that season was because he was injured after he played a few games. That's not the same as getting approval for a sixth-year exemption. And I don't think he'll qualify for one of those unless he has a damn good reason for transferring to SDSU (like a family member nearby is dying or seriously ill). The sixth-year exemption is for student-athletes who involuntarily lose two seasons; the NCAA almost always treats sitting out for a transfer as a voluntary reason.
    Yeah, that was my understanding of the medical redshirt rule as well so it would make sense to me that he'd only have 3 years eligibility starting in 20/21. Although I know some student-athletes really bend the rules for that two seasons lost involuntarily thing. The NCAA seems to be surprisingly lenient when it comes to interpreting what dictates losing a season "involuntarily". If he does have some reason like a sick relative for transferring I'd expect he'd be granted immediate eligibility for the 19/20 season at SDSU like Jordan Horn got at NDSU last year. Then he would get 4 years of eligibility down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, that was my understanding of the medical redshirt rule as well so it would make sense to me that he'd only have 3 years eligibility starting in 20/21. Although I know some student-athletes really bend the rules for that two seasons lost involuntarily thing. The NCAA seems to be surprisingly lenient when it comes to interpreting what dictates losing a season "involuntarily". If he does have some reason like a sick relative for transferring I'd expect he'd be granted immediate eligibility for the 19/20 season at SDSU like Jordan Horn got at NDSU last year. Then he would get 4 years of eligibility down there.
    Agreed. Or if the Memphis coach admits in writing that the player was cut from the team for athletic reasons. Most coaches don't like to do that, but there is an NCAA waiver for it. It usually has to do with oversignings and a player losing their roster spot because of it.

In September 2012, the NCAA Division I Subcommittee for Legislative Relief adopted guidelines for waivers based on an assertion that the student-athlete was “run off” by their previous institution. The NCAA staff is directed to grant relief in cases where an athlete is ineligible for the one-time transfer exception due to playing a sport which does not have the exception or because it is their second (or more) transfer between four-year schools.
    https://www.athleticscholarships.net...off-waiver.htm