Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Brock Robbins

Default Re: Brock Robbins

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    The NCAA regulates it because it can result in health issues

It is not because it is performance enhancing
    It is absolutely performance enhancing and especially if taken in a dosage that results in a + test. If it didn't enhance performance no one would take it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Why do they take it before they workout?
    Because it gives them a buzz.....a stimulant buzz just like tobacco provides. The companies that offet these products whether the powders or the energy drinks promise enhanced recovery times or a "boost in energy" when in actuality, they add caffeine making the athlete feel a surge (buzz) that they can easily get addicted to.....and surprise surprise want to keep BUYING it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    The lack of knowledge about supplements and caffeine on here is alarming..... And pretty much in line with the general public. Kids literally die from caffeine overdose. It's not entirely uncommon.
    This article (https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-s...-supplements#1) pretty much sums up your point. Here's an important quote from the article:

"Supplements are handled completely different than either prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs," Cohen explained. "Those two categories are carefully vetted by the FDA. Supplements are not vetted by the FDA, and do not require that any evidence of safety or efficacy is presented to the agency before they are sold to consumers."

The FDA's Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 essentially places the burden for evaluating supplement safety, content and labeling primarily on the shoulders of the manufacturers, he said.

Experts point out that this arrangement means that, while the FDA has the authority to remove from the market any supplement reported as causing harm, as a practical matter it does so only after the fact. This raises the risk for a wide range of "serious adverse events" involving tainted supplements -- including stroke, kidney failure, liver injuries, blood clots and even death -- critics of the arrangement contend.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    So why the ridiculously large penalties? The NCAA is a joke, and their rules and enforcement are not applied uniformly.
    Because it can be fatal. I am guessing they regulate for safety of the athletes.

I wonder if part of BN "compensation" for his performance coaching included being able to peddle his product to the team? Thus NDSU as previously stated covered his travel expenses and then he was allowed to market the product to the team. Another scenario I thought of that could have occurred and would allow for both stories to be correct; Brock drinks his properly mixed beverage, goes out warms up, comes back to locker room and another athlete has their properly mixed beverage and hasn't drank it and he asks (forgetting what is in it) "you going to drink that, if not can I?". I remember drinking teammates gatorade back in the day (high school) as I sweat a ton. So in that sequence he would have gotten the portion causing the failure "from a student athlete" but the product that cased the failure "was provided by a trusted staff member".

I personally witnessed in high school the danger of caffeine. Had a teammate take No Doze before a game (I think it was 2 or 3) and after the game passed out cold when he "crashed" and had to be carried into locker room. Coaches did a little internal investigation and it was stated at the next practice if anyone was caught taking them or had similar effects following game they would be immediately kicked off the team.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by CivilBison96; 02-01-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of fatal, (I never could spell....)

Quote Originally Posted by CivilBison96 View Post
    Because it can be fetal. I am guessing they regulate for safety of the athletes.

I wonder if part of BN "compensation" for his performance coaching included being able to peddle his product to the team? Thus NDSU as previously stated covered his travel expenses and then he was allowed to market the product to the team. Another scenario I thought of that could have occurred and would allow for both stories to be correct; Brock drinks his properly mixed beverage, goes out warms up, comes back to locker room and another athlete has their properly mixed beverage and hasn't drank it and he asks (forgetting what is in it) "you going to drink that, if not can I?". I remember drinking teammates gatorade back in the day (high school) as I sweat a ton. So in that sequence he would have gotten the portion causing the failure "from a student athlete" but the product that cased the failure "was provided by a trusted staff member".

I personally witnessed in high school the danger of caffeine. Had a teammate take No Doze before a game (I think it was 2 or 3) and after the game passed out cold when he "crashed" and had to be carried into locker room. Coaches did a little internal investigation and it was stated at the next practice if anyone was caught taking them or had similar effects following game they would be immediately kicked off the team.

Just my $0.02.
    Caffeine can definitely be dangerous. About ten years ago, I was at a local convenience store before work buying lunch and my beverages for the day. While there, a salesman for a new energy drink, Spike, offered me a 2 for 1 deal on his drink since he saw I was purchase a Monster drink. I took him up on it and put the Monster drink away. I only got halfway through the first drink that day because it felt like my chest was going to explode. Apparently Spike has its name for a reason: https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caf.../spike-shotgun
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CivilBison96 View Post
    Because it can be fetal. I am guessing they regulate for safety of the athletes.

Just my $0.02.
    Can be fetal?

Getting pregnant by using it?

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Because it gives them a buzz.....a stimulant buzz just like tobacco provides. The companies that offet these products whether the powders or the energy drinks promise enhanced recovery times or a "boost in energy" when in actuality, they add caffeine making the athlete feel a surge (buzz) that they can easily get addicted to.....and surprise surprise want to keep BUYING it.
    Yeah, I know that. I was just baiting 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    The lack of knowledge about supplements and caffeine on here is alarming..... And pretty much in line with the general public. Kids literally die from caffeine overdose. It's not entirely uncommon.
    I completely agree there is a legit safety concern regarding caffeine especially its use in under regulated supplements. The entire supplement industry skirts FDA regulation selling snake oil.

It's the one year suspension that seems a bit over the top. Seems players and/or staff weren't careful enough with the rules how they are with monitoring caffeine doses. Which does have a legit concern regarding health and safety.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    The NCAA regulates it because it can result in health issues

It is not because it is performance enhancing
    I’d say it enhances your performance. Sluggish to your body tingles from the caffeine. Outside of the ridiculous amount of caffeine it’s like having coffee or an energy drink. What’s deemed acceptable enhancing stuff and not acceptable is all political.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caffeine can be dangerous if abused, but a year suspension for a first time infraction is a severe penalty, even though the kids know there is a fine line that has to be walked.
    Missing the championship game more than makes the point.
    I don’t care to read anymore articles by papers trying to sling mud at the Bison either there is no big “caffeine” conspiracy ... that is why I do not read rags like the enquirer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not till "death do us part"....unless you make another call like that ...you bum!!
    .........good grief..........