Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iowa State Dual - 9 Jan 19

Default Iowa State Dual - 9 Jan 19

Iowa State comes to town for a top 25 B12 match up tomorrow night. We'll be underdogs, but there should be some very good matches. My predictions:
    125- Fleetwood dec Mackall 3-0 NDSU
    133- Gomez dec Sykora 3-3, Match I'm most looking forward to.
    141- Parker maj Nein 7-3 ISU
    149- Degen dec Van Maanen 10-3 ISU
    157- Knutson/Weber dec Straw 10-6 ISU
    165- Fogarty dec Schumacher 10-9 ISU
    174- Coleman dec De La Riva 13-9 ISU
    184- Colbray dec Otomo 16-9 ISU
    197- Miklus dec Eaton 19-9 ISU
    HWT- Metz dec Gremmel 19-12 ISU

Gomez, Parker, Degen, Coleman, Colbray, and Miklus are all ranked and Mackall is right on the cusp. This is a substantially improved ISU squad.

Default Re: Iowa State Dual - 9 Jan 19

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Iowa State comes to town for a top 25 B12 match up tomorrow night. We'll be underdogs, but there should be some very good matches. My predictions:
    125- Fleetwood dec Mackall 3-0 NDSU
    133- Gomez dec Sykora 3-3, Match I'm most looking forward to.
    141- Parker maj Nein 7-3 ISU
    149- Degen dec Van Maanen 10-3 ISU
    157- Knutson/Weber dec Straw 10-6 ISU
    165- Fogarty dec Schumacher 10-9 ISU
    174- Coleman dec De La Riva 13-9 ISU
    184- Colbray dec Otomo 16-9 ISU
    197- Miklus dec Eaton 19-9 ISU
    HWT- Metz dec Gremmel 19-12 ISU

Gomez, Parker, Degen, Coleman, Colbray, and Miklus are all ranked and Mackall is right on the cusp. This is a substantially improved ISU squad.
    Would be nice to see Metz finally beat Gremmel.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Here's the comparison: https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/.../35/iowa-state

Are there any known starters out according to what WrestleStat shows?

Quote Originally Posted by andegre View Post
    Here's the comparison: https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/.../35/iowa-state

Are there any known starters out according to what WrestleStat shows?
    Sutton at 141 for NDSU.

Schumacher is the ISU starter at 165.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Iowa State is greatly improved. Lost this season to Iowa 19-18 (last year was 35-6).
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Would be nice to see Metz finally beat Gremmel.
    Do you think we could see Big Dan tonight? He already beat Gremmel once this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    Do you think we could see Big Dan tonight? He already beat Gremmel once this year.
    Hard to tell from being afar from the program. I know Metz is much better than what I saw from at the USAFA dual. I think he just needs more confidence and learn how to be more mean and aggressive. I would like to see him spend more time at the USOTC during the offseason to develop those skills.
    Hail the BISON!!!

So close for Cam. That would have been a big win.

I'll offer full thoughts tomorrow, but Cam had that match...

I understand why they did it, but I would've picked top in the third. Cam utterly dominated the second and Gomez wasn't close to getting away. Only concern is the two cautions.

Had Cam got away in the last 45 seconds, he wins.

Had Cam bailed when he should have in the first, he probably wins.

That is too many missed opportunities against a top 10 opponent, but he was right there.

Iowa State is just a way better team than us.

125- Fleetwood was flat, but he still found a way to win. I think he could've scored a couple takedowns with a little higher pace.
    133- Cam wrestled well and had several chances to win this one. Like I said, I would've picked top in the third, but he still had a chance.
    141- Degen was fired up, but couldn't get to his offense. We saw how many different ways his brother could score, and hopefully he can approach that level. Needs to develop a go-to takedown and stay tighter on top.
    149- Degen was just a lot better than JVM. He needs to shoot a lot more. Guys get to his legs far too easily and one way to prevent that would be to become more offensive.
    157- Really flat performance by Knutson. His shot defense was unusually poor and he couldn't generate any offense. I expect we'll see more Weber than Knutson going forward.
    165- Fogarty looked alright. The misdirection single gave him problems early, but he was able to adjust to it and snuff it out. He continues to look really strong on top.
    174- De La Riva had a chance in this one, but couldn't create offense. Coleman did a very good job of finishing his shots quickly and correctly so De La Riva couldn't scramble.
    184- Colbray is very athletic and just much better. Colbray looks a lot more effective at 184. Colbray made his debut at the SHAC at HWT two years ago and his return trip went much better for him.
    197- Miklus is an AA and looked the part.
    HWT- Good job on the first takedown, on the throw in the 2nd period, and with some shot defense. Still did a very poor job of mat wrestling and seems far too hesitant to pull the trigger on offense. Needs to just show more effort when on top.

Overall, it was a better performance than the West Virgina dual, and against a better team, but the score was far worse. Hopefully we see a more competitive performance vs Pitt on Saturday.