Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling facilities

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Wrestling facilities

I was just curious if someone could layout how we stack up in the facilities arms race specifically in Wrestling. I realize we won't stack up well against OSU, Iowa, ISU, PSU, or other elite schools but I am still curious. As a fan of wrestling and NDSU, hopefully we can grow this program to a higher national status. It is the one program outside of football where a student athlete can come to NDSU and realistically be part of a top 25 team, achieve All American, and win a National Championship. To me, that's pretty special stuff and I wish we put more emphasis on it, especially considering our past.

Default Re: Wrestling facilities

I'm not sure what all could be included in facilities. They have their own practice room, an adjacent locker room and their own small weight room, all on the 2nd level. Other features of the SHAC are shared with other sports. The setup and lighting for matches makes for a great environment.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I was just curious if someone could layout how we stack up in the facilities arms race specifically in Wrestling. I realize we won't stack up well against OSU, Iowa, ISU, PSU, or other elite schools but I am still curious. As a fan of wrestling and NDSU, hopefully we can grow this program to a higher national status. It is the one program outside of football where a student athlete can come to NDSU and realistically be part of a top 25 team, achieve All American, and win a National Championship. To me, that's pretty special stuff and I wish we put more emphasis on it, especially considering our past.
    NDSU's is better than most university facilities I've seen across the country. To get to the next level, the RTC will need to be big time as this is the newest weapon in the recruiting war. So far Penn State is killing it while Ohio State isn't too far behind. Everyone else is trying not to fall too far behind, but as long as Cael is happy in, well, Happy Valley, best of luck to everyone else.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Does having USA wrestling in Fargo give us a good advantage? You would think having the best in the nation on campus could create some unique opportunities

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Does having USA wrestling in Fargo give us a good advantage? You would think having the best in the nation on campus could create some unique opportunities
    It gives the NDSU coaches the advantage of having a chance to scout kids at a young age without having to seek permission. Unfortunately, the top kids still want to go to the top wrestling schools. With many of these top kids now having World Medals before even graduating High School compare to just a decade ago, the battle to get them is tough.

UNI has the same advantage with them hosting our Folkstyle Nationals, but are just as successful as NDSU as far as getting top end recruits that end up at the usual places (Penn State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, etc.).
    Hail the BISON!!!

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    It gives the NDSU coaches the advantage of having a chance to scout kids at a young age without having to seek permission. Unfortunately, the top kids still want to go to the top wrestling schools. With many of these top kids now having World Medals before even graduating High School compare to just a decade ago, the battle to get them is tough.

UNI has the same advantage with them hosting our Folkstyle Nationals, but are just as successful as NDSU as far as getting top end recruits that end up at the usual places (Penn State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, etc.).
    Whats your thought on adding Women's Wrestling to NDSU to help bolster our profile and to help offset Title IX issues with any future football move up? In the past, I have not been a fan of women's wrestling but have begun to notice a change within the youth club level's in the upper midwest and the acceptance of it as a legit sport. Stylistically speaking, its still not my thing but among the youth wrestlers at the club level in ND, it is certainly accepted and is no longer seen as girls trying to be boys so to speak. While we don't have a State high school tournament for girls yet, my hunch is there will be one organized in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Whats your thought on adding Women's Wrestling to NDSU to help bolster our profile and to help offset Title IX issues with any future football move up? In the past, I have not been a fan of women's wrestling but have begun to notice a change within the youth club level's in the upper midwest and the acceptance of it as a legit sport. Stylistically speaking, its still not my thing but among the youth wrestlers at the club level in ND, it is certainly accepted and is no longer seen as girls trying to be boys so to speak. While we don't have a State high school tournament for girls yet, my hunch is there will be one organized in the near future.
    I really don't know how much, if any, it will help to have a women's wrestling program when the NCAA finally adds it, but NDSU's profile will take a beating if they're not among the first schools to do so. The program that will benefit from the NCAA adding women's wrestling (all long as it is freestyle) as a varsity sport is our National Team. We might finally be able to beat Japan within a decade that it happens.

For NDSU's wrestling profile to get better, it will need to rely on building its RTC program. I don't know what kind of funds they have right now, but the main programs have full time paid coaches (usually just freestyle) and the wrestlers are paid well if they're a National/World Team Member. The RTC is going to need a lot of money to attract these types of coaches and athletes, which will then attract higher level high school athletes.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Since we're now Big 12, hopefully more kids start to view us as a top school. We got the dome and the tournament which is big time. We got the SHAC which is well above average. We got the conference. Great D2 tradition and growing in D1...

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Since we're now Big 12, hopefully more kids start to view us as a top school. We got the dome and the tournament which is big time. We got the SHAC which is well above average. We got the conference. Great D2 tradition and growing in D1...
    Maybe, but again, right now, it's mostly about having a great RTC to get great recruits. Here are some articles that might help explain what is going on at the DI level of college wrestling and the reality of how far back NDSU is in the arms race:

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...dden-arms-race

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...b#.WYCaatMrKu4

I don't know where Penn State alumni make so much money, but they sure love giving the school a lot of it.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Maybe, but again, right now, it's mostly about having a great RTC to get great recruits. Here are some articles that might help explain what is going on at the DI level of college wrestling and the reality of how far back NDSU is in the arms race:

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...dden-arms-race

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...b#.WYCaatMrKu4

I don't know where Penn State alumni make so much money, but they sure love giving the school a lot of it.
    Damn.. it helps when your athletic department gets a check from the Big Ten Network that in larger than our entire athletic budget.