Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Official Roadtrip to the Championship Thread 2019

Default Re: Official Roadtrip to the Championship Thread 2019

Our trip to Frisco was a little different from those in the past and a little interesting. My friend works for American Airlines so he gave me and my girlfriend 'buddy passes' which allow us to fly essentially free. The only catch is you are on the standby list, however you are given D1 priority for any open seats. The problem this year is that after 7 years of this you'd think American Airlines and Delta would realize that there are A LOT OF PEOPLE trying to leave Fargo the week of the championship. Once you make it out of Fargo; you're golden.

We started our trip Thursday morning by going to the airport to try and catch the 5:20 am flight to Chicago. Of course, AA oversold the plane and was offering people $1500 vouchers for a later trip. Which normally would be an awesome deal for someone...but there was a handful of people (about 5) that had been stuck in Fargo since Monday trying to get back to Florida. (Blizzard and weather from last monday kept their flights here) So no one bit the bullet. Because that didnt pan out, I decided to look at the standby list in MSP and Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls has essentially no one on their flights. They were all 1/2 full. So we drove the 3 hours and flew out of Bunny Country to Chicago.

As I said before, once you get out of the ND/SD area you are golden as MSP and Chicago are hubs with a lot of flights going everywhere. We ended up getting on a first class flight to Dallas on American Airlines new 787 Dreamliner. That alone was worth the trip.

Coming back to Fargo was essentially the same problem. We wanted a straight shot to Fargo and we barely made it on the 1:44 pm flight out of Dallas. Lots of bisons on that flight coming home.

Moral of the story, AA and Delta need to plan ahead and get more flights out of Fargo during championship week...or at least upgrade the aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    Our trip to Frisco was a little different from those in the past and a little interesting. My friend works for American Airlines so he gave me and my girlfriend 'buddy passes' which allow us to fly essentially free. The only catch is you are on the standby list, however you are given D1 priority for any open seats. The problem this year is that after 7 years of this you'd think American Airlines and Delta would realize that there are A LOT OF PEOPLE trying to leave Fargo the week of the championship. Once you make it out of Fargo; you're golden.

We started our trip Thursday morning by going to the airport to try and catch the 5:20 am flight to Chicago. Of course, AA oversold the plane and was offering people $1500 vouchers for a later trip. Which normally would be an awesome deal for someone...but there was a handful of people (about 5) that had been stuck in Fargo since Monday trying to get back to Florida. (Blizzard and weather from last monday kept their flights here) So no one bit the bullet. Because that didnt pan out, I decided to look at the standby list in MSP and Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls has essentially no one on their flights. They were all 1/2 full. So we drove the 3 hours and flew out of Bunny Country to Chicago.

As I said before, once you get out of the ND/SD area you are golden as MSP and Chicago are hubs with a lot of flights going everywhere. We ended up getting on a first class flight to Dallas on American Airlines new 787 Dreamliner. That alone was worth the trip.

Coming back to Fargo was essentially the same problem. We wanted a straight shot to Fargo and we barely made it on the 1:44 pm flight out of Dallas. Lots of bisons on that flight coming home.

Moral of the story, AA and Delta need to plan ahead and get more flights out of Fargo during championship week...or at least upgrade the aircraft.
    Have you never flown to Frisco before? This was the same as every other year. Also, Delta did add a direct flight from FAR to DFW, which they do most years. Some years they have added two. AA has never added a flight.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Other moral of the story. Don't expect flying standby in/out of Fargo to be easy during the national championship. Frankly, I'm surprised it even worked at all.

P.S. Don't you have any travel agents that book special non-stop charters?
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    Other moral of the story. Don't expect flying standby in/out of Fargo to be easy during the national championship. Frankly, I'm surprised it even worked at all.

Yes. There was an NDSU fan charter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    Have you never flown to Frisco before? This was the same as every other year. Also, Delta did add a direct flight from FAR to DFW, which they do most years. Some years they have added two. AA has never added a flight.
    Yes. 3 years. Normally, they add additional flights and upgrade the aircrafts. However the manager for AA was out all week the week prior to the championship week.

The AA employees were trying to tell them to add more/upgarde but no one listed to them.

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post

I didn't expect to fly out of Fargo. However, spending 30 mins driving to the airport and seeing if their is a spot is nothing at all and yes, was quite easy. The only reason I didn't fly out that morning is there was only one seat that was open after everything was said and done. I don't think my girlfriend would have appreciated waiting for the next...

Getting a $2500 ticket for $175 is well worth being on standby.

Yes. 3 years. Normally, they add additional flights and upgrade the aircrafts. However the manager for AA was out all week the week prior to the championship week.

The AA employees were trying to tell them to add more/upgarde but no one listed to them.
    I have never seen AA change aircraft or add flights. But ok, if you are accurate, didn't the manager of the Fargo location realize before the week prior to championship week that the Bison won?

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    I have never seen AA change aircraft or add flights. But ok, if you are accurate, didn't the manager of the Fargo location realize before the week prior to championship week that the Bison won?
    They did last year. I mean if you're not confident they do that, then idk what to tell you. Just passing the information along from the AA employee I was flying with. As far as the area manager not realizing it; no clue. They turned a lot of people away from the flights later that afternoon (Thursday) as they oversold their flights. The soonest they could get them out of Fargo was Saturday or Sunday. They could fit almost an entire flight in when they bring in an aircraft with a 3x3 format instead of the 2x2 they were using.

They did last year. I mean if you're not confident they do that, then idk what to tell you. Just passing the information along from the AA employee I was flying with. As far as the area manager not realizing it; no clue. They turned a lot of people away from the flights later that afternoon (Thursday) as they oversold their flights. The soonest they could get them out of Fargo was Saturday or Sunday. They could fit almost an entire flight in when they bring in an aircraft with a 3x3 format instead of the 2x2 they were using.
    Most of the issues this year involved storms that impacted airport operations for the week before the game. Would have thought your friend would understand that.

I didn't expect to fly out of Fargo. However, spending 30 mins driving to the airport and seeing if their is a spot is nothing at all and yes, was quite easy. The only reason I didn't fly out that morning is there was only one seat that was open after everything was said and done. I don't think my girlfriend would have appreciated waiting for the next...

Getting a $2500 ticket for $175 is well worth being on standby.
    Yes, if you are also willing to potentially miss the game. Sounds like you got a bit lucky...I was on the flip side. My wife and I flew buddy pass standby (when we were dating) to a vacation destination. Got very bad advice from her flight attendant friend. Made it there and took 1st class along the way...wow what could be better? Getting home...Bad weather and a flight cancellation, and it took us 3 days to get home, even with looking for high traffic hubs. Last time we did that. I am glad it worked out for you though.