Our trip to Frisco was a little different from those in the past and a little interesting. My friend works for American Airlines so he gave me and my girlfriend 'buddy passes' which allow us to fly essentially free. The only catch is you are on the standby list, however you are given D1 priority for any open seats. The problem this year is that after 7 years of this you'd think American Airlines and Delta would realize that there are A LOT OF PEOPLE trying to leave Fargo the week of the championship. Once you make it out of Fargo; you're golden.

We started our trip Thursday morning by going to the airport to try and catch the 5:20 am flight to Chicago. Of course, AA oversold the plane and was offering people $1500 vouchers for a later trip. Which normally would be an awesome deal for someone...but there was a handful of people (about 5) that had been stuck in Fargo since Monday trying to get back to Florida. (Blizzard and weather from last monday kept their flights here) So no one bit the bullet. Because that didnt pan out, I decided to look at the standby list in MSP and Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls has essentially no one on their flights. They were all 1/2 full. So we drove the 3 hours and flew out of Bunny Country to Chicago.

As I said before, once you get out of the ND/SD area you are golden as MSP and Chicago are hubs with a lot of flights going everywhere. We ended up getting on a first class flight to Dallas on American Airlines new 787 Dreamliner. That alone was worth the trip.

Coming back to Fargo was essentially the same problem. We wanted a straight shot to Fargo and we barely made it on the 1:44 pm flight out of Dallas. Lots of bisons on that flight coming home.

Moral of the story, AA and Delta need to plan ahead and get more flights out of Fargo during championship week...or at least upgrade the aircraft.