Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South Beach Duals

Default South Beach Duals

NDSU travels to Florida for the South Beach duals. Opponents will include Cornell, North Carolina, Indiana, and West Virginia.

I think Cornell will beat us, but there is a pretty solid chance to win the three other duals. North Carolina should be favored but we have a clear path to victory.

Matches I'm most looking forward to:
    Cornell:
    Fleetwood vs Vito Arujau. Vito is an outstanding freshman and looks like the cut to 125 hasn't hurt him.
    Cam Sykora vs Chaz Tcker. They've split low scoring matches and it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in the rubber match. Both guys have taken a step forward this year. Tucker is very defensive and tough to score on. First takedown will be absolutely crucial in this one.
    Cordell Eaton vs Ben Honis. Honis is solid and long, but not unbeatable. This is a match Cordell can win if he is smart with his shots and finishes quickly.
    Brandon Metz vs Jeramy Sweany. Metz needs these wins if he is going to earn the B12 an extra AQ spot. Sweany is a 4 year starter and 2 x NCAA qualifier, but may have trouble with Metz' size and upper body technique.

West Virginia:
    Cam Sykora vs Matthew Schmitt. Cam is 0-2 vs Schmitt and I'm hopeful he has closed the gap. Schmitt has good length and is solid in every position.
    Cordell Eaton vs Noah Adams. Adams is a very good freshman who moves very well for his size and puts up a lot of points. This would be a very good win for Cordell and huge for B12 Tourney seeding.

North Carolina:
    Andrew Fogarty vs Kennedy Monday. Monday is about as talented as they come, but his consistency isn't all that great.
    Brandon Metz vs Correy Gilliand-Daniel. Daniel pinned Metz earlier this year, but it was because Metz tried to force a throw. I think this is winnable for Metz.

Indiana:
    Gavin Sutton vs Cole Weaver. If Sutton is in the lineup, this will be a good test vs an NCAA qualifier.
    Nick Knutson vs Jake Danishek. Danishek is a serviceable B10 starter, who has been Indiana's starter all four years and he qualified for NCAAs once. I think Knutson can win this one.

Default Re: South Beach Duals

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Andrew Fogarty vs Kennedy Monday. Monday is about as talented as they come, but his consistency isn't all that great.
    Gavin Sutton vs Cole Weaver. If Sutton is in the lineup, this will be a good test vs an NCAA qualifier.
    The UNC press release doesn't include Monday.

The NDSU press release doesn't include Sutton.

I couldn't find press releases for any of the other teams.

Here are line-ups that I scraped together. NDSU and UNC were the only press releases I could find, so it was a bit of a guessing game for the others. The rankings I used were Intermat/Flowresting.

NDSU
    125 – #10/10 Brent Fleetwood (13-3) OR Paul Bianchi (1-3)
    133 – #19/16 Cam Sykora (13-5)
    141 – Sawyer Degen (8-8) OR Taylor Nein (0-0)
    149 – Jaden Van Maanen (12-4)
    157 – Nick Knutson (6-8)
    165 – #17/17 Andrew Fogarty (8-2)
    174 – Lorenzo De La Riva (10-6) OR Jesse Shearer 7-3)
    184 – Tyler McNutt (7-6) OR Michael Otomo (6-3)
    197 – Cordell Eaton (11-4)
    285 – Brandon Metz (9-6) OR Dan Stibral (14-4)

Cornell
    125 – #13/17 Vito Arujau
    133 – #13/14 Chas Tucker
    141 – #1/1 Yianni Diakomihalis
    149 – Hunter Richard
    157 – #18/NR Fredy Stroker
    165 – Milik Dawkins
    174 – #14/14 Brandon Womack
    184 – #6/8 Max Dean
    197 – Ben Honis
    285 – Jeramy Sweany

Indiana
    125 – Liam Cronin,Elijah Oliver
    133 – Garrett Pepple
    141 – #16/NR Cole Weaver
    149 – Breyden Bailey, Michael De La Pena
    157 – Jake Danishek
    165 – Bryce Martin
    174 – Jake Hinz
    184 – Norman Conley
    197 – Jake Kleimola
    285 – Fletcher Miller

West Virginia
    125 – KJ Fenstermacher,Joey Thomas
    133 – Matthew Schmitt, Caleb Rea
    141 – Luke Martin
    149 – Christian Montserrat
    157 – Zachary Moore
    165 – Nick Kiussis
    174 – Josh Ramirez
    184 – Jackson Moomau, Hunter DeLong
    197 – Noah Adams
    285 – David Smith, Brandon Ngati

North Carolina
    125 – Joe Heilmann
    133 – James Szymanski,Gary Wayne Harding
    141 – #NR/19 A.C. Headlee, Jaime Hernandez
    149 – #5/5 Austin O’Connor
    157 – Josh McClure, Sawyer Davidson
    165 – Will MacDonald
    174 – Devin Kane
    184 – #11/10 Chip Ness
    197 – Chasen Blair, Hunter Queen
    285 – #15/16 Cory Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    The UNC press release doesn't include Monday.

The NDSU press release doesn't include Sutton.

I couldn't find press releases for any of the other teams.
    FYI, Monday is the son of the great Kenny Monday. He's one of the main reasons I became a thrower - the other was being in Judo as a young kid and having a good sense of feel for throwing.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Thanks to the weather here, the team won't make it to the tourney on time to wrestle as scheduled. Instead, they'll just face Cornell later tomorrow and wrestle the other three duals on Sunday.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    FYI, Monday is the son of the great Kenny Monday. He's one of the main reasons I became a thrower - the other was being in Judo as a young kid and having a good sense of feel for throwing.
    He was my favorite wrestler growing up, I remember him winning the gold in the Seoul 1988 Olympics. The Seoul Olympics was very special to me.

Thanks to the weather here, the team won't make it to the tourney on time to wrestle as scheduled. Instead, they'll just face Cornell later tomorrow and wrestle the other three duals on Sunday.
    Don’t think they are going to wrestle Cornell now. You

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdoc8088 View Post
    Don’t think they are going to wrestle Cornell now. You
    You are correct. We will face the other three teams tomorrow. https://gobison.com/news/2018/12/29/...-schedule.aspx

��unfortunate but if we have to drop one that is the one. Cornell is a bit snobbish.. They were a little humbled last year when we beat them though. Best we can hope for with the blizzard fowling things up. The boys did make it about 1:45pm, so hopefully they can get a practice in and get acclimated. At least it’s not high altitude like Wyoming. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdoc8088 View Post
    ��unfortunate but if we have to drop one that is the one. Cornell is a bit snobbish.. They were a little humbled last year when we beat them though. Best we can hope for with the blizzard fowling things up. The boys did make it about 1:45pm, so hopefully they can get a practice in and get acclimated. At least it’s not high altitude like Wyoming. ��
    What? It IS 9'...
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)