Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Klieman's Kstate Thread

Default Re: Klieman's Kstate Thread

Scottie Hazelton is a BOSS. good for him. go get that money.

(maybe he deserves more credit for the NDSU dynasty than Bohl or klieman.. hmmm)
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Loud and Proud Bison fan View Post
    It is comments like this that blow mind. There have been 2 total head coaches that have gone from FCS to a P5 coaching job. 1 Klieman the other is Jim Tressel. A good DC on P5 team will get 20 more looks than Matt Entz even if he wins 5 more Nattys.
    In general you're probably very correct. I think the success of this program moves the posts a bit though for this particular FCS spot. If CK continues to have success and CB does as well then I believe that removes some of the hesitation to look at the FCS guy. Because it just ain't a normal FCS post. As tailg8r said CEO is a different job than SVP. If I'm hiring I'm gonna take a long hard look at a successful CEO even if he/she is coming from a much smaller firm.

Sorry about the blown mind. I hope that will not negatively impact your workday.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Loud and Proud Bison fan View Post
    It is comments like this that blow mind. There have been 2 total head coaches that have gone from FCS to a P5 coaching job. 1 Klieman the other is Jim Tressel. A good DC on P5 team will get 20 more looks than Matt Entz even if he wins 5 more Nattys.
    Jim Harbaugh went straight from San Diego to Stanford. I would guess there are probably a couple others too.

But yes, the point that it is pretty rare for a HC to jump from FCS to P5 remains.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    Jim Harbaugh went straight from San Diego to Stanford. I would guess there are probably a couple others too.

But yes, the point that it is pretty rare for a HC to jump from FCS to P5 remains.
    People knew Jim Harbaugh was going to be a higher level head coach before he did. He had to coach at San Diego to just show he didn't suck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    In general you're probably very correct. I think the success of this program moves the posts a bit though for this particular FCS spot. If CK continues to have success and CB does as well then I believe that removes some of the hesitation to look at the FCS guy. Because it just ain't a normal FCS post. As tailg8r said CEO is a different job than SVP. If I'm hiring I'm gonna take a long hard look at a successful CEO even if he/she is coming from a much smaller firm.

Sorry about the blown mind. I hope that will not negatively impact your workday.
    I'd love to say you are spot on but the success of NDSU isn't moving anything.

Let's look at the uniqueness of the FCS to P5 coaching moves so far. Tressel had a history with OSU and Cooper and was coaching everyone's second favorite college program in the state at the time.

While Klieman will have success, if Taylor isn't there, coach K goes either G5 HC or P5 DC route before a P5 HC shot. There is no scenario where Klieman goes straight to a P5 HC job in any parallel universe without someone like Taylor in the right spot at the right time.

There is no scenario in which Matt Entz goes straight to P5 HC job either. If that is his dream job and anyone offers him a P5 DC job, he should be all over it. 2 to 3 years with a top 10 defense is an automatic ticket to a HC job. Watch pelini get another shot. Bohl and Klieman may have softened the market up a little but they didn't punch any holes in it.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Maybe fleck rows his boat to bitchigan after a couple more years and Entz gets a shot with the goofers. I do think without that direct P5 experience, he has to be able to say I can recruit here. That limits who will hire him, as well. If there was ever a P5 DC offer out there and he wants to become a P5 HC, the dumbest move would be to turn it down. I also think if he is happy where he is at, we shouldn't want him there.

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I'd love to say you are spot on but the success of NDSU isn't moving anything.

Let's look at the uniqueness of the FCS to P5 coaching moves so far. Tressel had a history with OSU and Cooper and was coaching everyone's second favorite college program in the state at the time.

While Klieman will have success, if Taylor isn't there, coach K goes either G5 HC or P5 DC route before a P5 HC shot. There is no scenario where Klieman goes straight to a P5 HC job in any parallel universe without someone like Taylor in the right spot at the right time.

There is no scenario in which Matt Entz goes straight to P5 HC job either. If that is his dream job and anyone offers him a P5 DC job, he should be all over it. 2 to 3 years with a top 10 defense is an automatic ticket to a HC job. Watch pelini get another shot. Bohl and Klieman may have softened the market up a little but they didn't punch any holes in it.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Maybe fleck rows his boat to bitchigan after a couple more years and Entz gets a shot with the goofers. I do think without that direct P5 experience, he has to be able to say I can recruit here. That limits who will hire him, as well. If there was ever a P5 DC offer out there and he wants to become a P5 HC, the dumbest move would be to turn it down. I also think if he is happy where he is at, we shouldn't want him there.

Well you about have me convinced with this. I probably had a bad take on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Well you about have me convinced with this. I probably had a bad take on this one.
    I don't think it is a bad take. There is really no logical reason a lot of FCS coaches couldn't make the jump. Good football is good football. Recruiting is always a real issue though. Generally, there does need to be a track record of connections in certain areas unless a guy already has a huge name.

I think it comes down to boosters and having to explain that hire. I don't know if Taylor could hire Klieman any earlier than he did. A year earlier and he isn't rooted deep enough to weather the booster storm. If ADs worked in a vacuum, there would be a few more direct FCS to P5 hires.

If there was a school that could create direct hires, it could be NDSU. Not just the success here but there are no gimmicks going on either. No option offense. No 2-6-3 defense. No 140 offensive play a game hurry up system. No we go for 2 every touchdown. Wait, skip that one. You get the system with this hire.

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

K-State promotes Klanderman which isn't a surprise. Opens up a position coach for them. This is where NDSU could/should be nervous.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What was Klanderman coaching at K State? DBs?
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS