Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Commit: Zeb Noland (QB transfer from Iowa St)

Default Re: 2019 Commit: Zeb Noland (QB transfer from Iowa St)

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    During Entz's introduction presser he mentioned utilizing the passing game "more efficiently". More of a "pro style" QB in Noland...perhaps they want a guy in here who can spin it.
    . Do you think a Klieman authorized it ? All we heard about is Trey Lance was being groomed? I would think Hotchkiss and Sanders would now transfer out?

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    This is actually a pretty good way to give some space at QB. You're not going to get a superstar QB with a potential 4 year starter in front of him.
    I kinda think this is the biggest reason. They knew Lewis was getting cold feet. Wanted a Qb and hope to get a guy next year who would have a min of two years to play. I also think we get a QB pwo or whatever it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CentennialBison View Post
    Is this saying that the staff is not confident in either Hotchkiss or Sanders? I had higher hopes for both of them vs Trey Lance. I dislike the QB run game because it could easily put an end to your season. Not every kid is as durable as Easton. It would suck if they transfer.
    I have very little idea how the coaching staff feels but from reading the tea leaves it sure seems like Lance, not Hotchkiss (who beat out Sanders for the ceremonial backup job), is being groomed as Stick's replacement.

Can't be a great team these days without a QB who can throw for a big first down.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I have very little idea how the coaching staff feels but from reading the tea leaves it sure seems like Lance, not Hotchkiss (who beat out Sanders for the ceremonial backup job), is being groomed as Stick's replacement.
    I like mobile passers vs dual QBs. I agree it looks like Trey is next. I just want the coaches to give these guys a chance to compete next year before making statements like "Trey Lances of the world". Let's not anoint before the competition has begun. Wouldn't surprise me if both Hotchkiss and Sanders transfer out with Zeb as the primary competition for Trey.

This makes perfect sense and he is replacing Van Dellen not a 2019 QB. I still think there will be a true freshman QB in this class. Think along the lines of James Hendricks type. Either a Walk on or partial that has athleticism switch positions

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I tend to agree on the QB run game. It can be devastatingly effective like we saw Friday night but you look at how it kind of hamstrung our offense when we were reluctant to run Stick the last couple years. I was hoping Hotchkiss would be given a good chance to play some because he appeared to have decent arm talent but maybe the mental side has been tougher to pick up for both he and Sanders. Wouldn't be shocked if one of those guys doesn't transfer or move to a new position.
    The QB run game doesn't need to be used to have a massive impact on the defense. The threat of the QB running is probably more important than him actually running; defense can't forget about it or he tucks it and scrambles. Even a slight pause by the defense to respect the QB opens up room for the other backs. That was the big issue with why Noland got replaced at Iowa State; they wanted to use RPO's and defenses just keyed on the RB with no threat of him running. New guy could make a defense pay for it. He can sling it for sure, great arm, but he's far from a superstar. He'll need to learn footwork for taking snaps under center as well...

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CentennialBison View Post
    Are we going to a more WCO from the power-spread that we have going on? We have seriously toned down the WCO Brock throws. 22 personal and wheel routes, and spread looks mixed in.
    I dont think we have the personnel on the edge to stretch a defense through the air by just running routes alone...especially when Shep is gone. Maybe some of the youngsters will bring that element to our offense. IMO we have had to resort to PA and misdirection to be successful throwing the ball because otherwise we're too easy to defend.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Some videos with Zeb. Nice velocity and spiral. Arm not as strong as Wentz but has similar baseball fastball concept going. Touch is okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhE2V2mjD2g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXT0QpT8C0s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1Pe0rQ8v0

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    I dont think we have the personnel on the edge to stretch a defense through the air by just running routes alone...especially when Shep is gone. Maybe some of the youngsters will bring that element to our offense. IMO we have had to resort to PA and misdirection to be successful throwing the ball because otherwise we're too easy to defend.
    . Good point. Much easier to defend without a mobile QB and very inexperienced WR room. Going to load the box on the run game