Quote Originally Posted by Multiple_Disorders_Mainer View Post
If you think you are at a snails pace...I mean at least you guys put up an indoor stadium.
Try coming to Orono, Maine sometime in the cold for a football game...

We have made great strides but it about time the State stepped in and did more for UMAINE athletics...

We have a great Coach right now, but will he get a necessary raise so we can keep him...I can only pray they do...

Do you honestly think that is going to happen in Maine, i.e. pay raise and more support for athletics? Full-disclosure here, I attended the UMaine some time ago for my undergraduate degree (a great party school I might add). After I left Orono Maine I moved to Fargo (or Fargo-Moorehead) were I attended graduate school at NDSU. I lived in F-M for several years where I met my wife and got married and so I have interests, appreciation and a fondness for both communities. However, the differences between Maine and ND people are large. When i attended UMaine I found there was more interest in the annual high school basket tournament than athletics at the University level. Also, the state residents or a significant percentage almost seemed resentful of "out-of-staters"(still remember hearing this all the time at UMaine - a bunch of cranky Yankees IMO) who would come in and compete for there jobs. If things have not changed in Maine , then a sizeable portion of the population may be a bit resentful that a large percentage of your team (players and coaches) comes from outside your state (NY, PA, NJ etc) and therefore don't want the state to spend state money on student-athletes or coaches who are not from Maine (born and raised).

Final commnent, I was really hoping UMaine would come through this Saturday setting up a NDSU-UMaine final but I was not surprised. EWU football has been a scoring machine in recent years. Your defense is pretty darn good, but your offense is just so-so IMO and once your team got behind a snowball effect developed. Your Coach is to be congratulated for getting your team to the semis as recruiting up north on Interstate 95 must be very challenging. NDSU football has a lot of great things going for it and extending beyond tradition. The facilities are great for an FCS school, community support is great and geographically it is in a wonderful location drawing talent from the upper-midwest ( + a touch from Florida). Hard to see how the gap between Umaine and NDSU ever gets smaller in the foreseeable future.