Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

Playoff football makes the regular season insanely boring around here because we know before the game starts who we can run our base package against and dominate and who we might have to get more creative with. When we played SDSU the first time around I do believe we showed just enough to win the game while keeping so much in our back pocket for Friday night. First time I thought we could have run at will on them and we really put it to them last night. I think the coaches knew that first time around and didn't want to tip their hand for game 2.

Also I love the creative play calls that happen when the season is on the line and we played and coached like this was the biggest game of the season. I listened to the 1st quarter on the radio and Phil said the first wheel route we had never run like that before. The TD pass to Bruce I don't believe we've run that either. And I might be wrong but Easton's huge run for a TD was the same play that Brock scored on against GSU and that might be the first time we've run it that way since that game.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Playoff football makes the regular season insanely boring around here because we know before the game starts who we can run our base package against and dominate and who we might have to get more creative with. When we played SDSU the first time around I do believe we showed just enough to win the game while keeping so much in our back pocket for Friday night. First time I thought we could have run at will on them and we really put it to them last night. I think the coaches knew that first time around and didn't want to tip their hand for game 2.

Also I love the creative play calls that happen when the season is on the line and we played and coached like this was the biggest game of the season. I listened to the 1st quarter on the radio and Phil said the first wheel route we had never run like that before. The TD pass to Bruce I don't believe we've run that either. And I might be wrong but Easton's huge run for a TD was the same play that Brock scored on against GSU and that might be the first time we've run it that way since that game.
    That Stick TD reminded me of the time he did something similar to Iowa (gave Desmond King a heck of a stiff-arm).

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Line was telling them the play we were running and then ran it up their ass. Over and over. That was laughable. TC was either scared or hurt. Stig gets exposed after halftime.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It was a horrible call. Ellefson had Snyder squared up, give him a shove to the left shoulder, and Snyder went down awkwardly. But it didn't really matter in the end except for making Bruce's highlight reel stiff arm not actually count.
    I wouldn't call it a terrible call. It did appear he tackled him. If he got his arms around the defender rather than keeping them inside I'm sure it looked much worse than it was. That's still a judgement call and if it was downgraded (I assume it was). it probably wouldn't be a full downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Correct. If replay felt that was targeting they could have stopped it and called it. It was close on both targeting and late hit and it wouldn't have surprised me if either was called. It looked more like he got the wind knocked out of him on that one. The Cox got was definitely legal. Sometimes players do get hurt in legal hits.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Christion sliding so late made it a bang-bang play.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I wouldn't call it a terrible call. It did appear he tackled him. If he got his arms around the defender rather than keeping them inside I'm sure it looked much worse than it was. That's still a judgement call and if it was downgraded (I assume it was). it probably wouldn't be a full downgrade.
    Did you watch the replay? It's tough to tell from that gif but watching the replay it didn't look at all like a tackle to me. He hands were outside because Snyders shoulders were perpendicular to Ellefson's (if that makes sense) but he made contact with Snyder's shoulder with his chest and didn't grab or wrap with his arms. I think Snyder's awkward fall caused the flag. There were plenty of other borderline holding calls (for instance on Hendricks' on Strong's TD run) that weren't called. I stand by that it was a bad, and inconsistent, call.

Now the holding call later in that drive on Conner.... that one was legit.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmakesthegrassgrow View Post
    Christion sliding so late made it a bang-bang play.
    Agree

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

1. Glad to see Stig will be in Brookings for the foreseeable future...TV guys kept talking about his storied career, and I kept laughing.
    2. The Christion vs. Stick argument comes down to watching them run the ball: Stick was lowering his shoulder and running hard every time even with a lead, Christion gave himself up a yard short on 3rd down in the most important game in his programs history. That was the biggest in game white flag I've ever seen, and it tells you everything you need to know about each of those players....
    3. Our offensive line put on an absolute clinic.
    4. SDSU RB Strong is legit, can't figure out how he didn't have 35 carries.
    5. Jabril Cox: lets enjoy watching him for two more years. Him, Tuszka, and Waege are going have some fun next year.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Stick played like a champion.

John Stigelmeier.

Other then that. I've got nothing. 2018 Bison have left me speechless.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    1. Glad to see Stig will be in Brookings for the foreseeable future...TV guys kept talking about his storied career, and I kept laughing.
    In spite of the Joose incident and speculation about his handling of player injuries he has had a pretty remarkable career there. Keep in mind they were an average at best program in D2 and he's led the way transforming them into what is now a top 10, if not a top 5, FCS program. They're in a tough spot because they're only a couple hundred miles for the behemoth of the subdivision so compared to NDSU they and Stig may not look all that successful but, make no mistake about it, that is a solid program that he's built up from very little.