Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

Every loser has an excuse. Either the refs were the problem or the winning team cheated or played dirty. 6x national champs... what are the odds the Bison aren't really that good, but need refs or cheating to make the NATTY string run? Yea, right. Every loser has an excuse.

As an aside, just wondering how Stig has managed to say so long at SDSU without being recruited for a higher level opportunity.

Extra aside question: If SDSU was up 44-21 with the ball in the red zone and a minute to play, would Stig have gone for the run up score or taken a knee? Just wondering based on past performance.

Every LOSER has an excuse.
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    When I saw it live I noticed that block and thought "uh-oh". When they said there was a flag I thought, "yep". When I saw the replay I thought, "well, it does appear he 'tackled' him but was it more like a pancake?" The GIF doesn't show enough of the action prior to Anderson getting there to determine anything. I would need to go back and look at the full reply to have a stronger opinion. But from what I saw there is definitely something there that could be holding. I just don't think it's a strong call. Based on that it's not accurate to call it a bad call. That would be something that simply didn't happen (i.e. the tipped pass on the DPI a couple years ago corrected by replay).

When I use the term "bad call" it's semantics, and I understand why you use the term in a different context. You are also prejudiced by your fandome for the team who was called for the foul. That's completely understandable. When D1 officials are graded, there are several different designations. CC=correct call, CNC=correct no call, INC=incorrect no call, IC=incorrect call, MC=marginal call, TT=too technical. They are also assigned a number to communicate the gravity of the call. These are based entirely on the judgement of the grader which is also subjective (officials dispute their grades all the time but ultimately the grader has the final say). Based on what I saw I'm guessing this would be an IC or maybe MC. A CC would have a point value of 6 and a crew saver or unique call could get a 7. If you get a downgrade it would be given anything from 0 to 5 but usually a 0 or 3. At worst I would guess that gets a 3. There was definitely a restriction and the player was taken the to the ground at the point of attack where grandma in the top row of the stands can see it. But was it really a hold? Probably not and thus the minor downgrade.

As for the one on Strong's TD, those are completely different situations. Receivers blocking in space like that is very different. He's never beat as the back approaches. The defender is holding his ground trying to determine which way the runner is going. Once the defender commits one way or the other it can turn into a hold but it's often all about the release by the blocker. More often than not the defender either picks the wrong direction or he picks so late he lost the block on his own and the runner clears the block. That's not a hold. It's probably the most common incorrect call I see high school officials make because they see some slight restriction and automatically think hold. The ones that are holds look different than that. As a fan I wouldn't expect you to be able to easily determine the difference, but I've seen thousands of those on film and have worked enough at wing to have seen several on the field. Someone who is working that position in the semi-final of FCS championship has seen that block 10s of thousands of times in person and on film so it's not that hard for them to distinguish as well. I don't think it applied in this case but another thing to look at is the feet of the defender. If he's going backward he's likely already lost the block and will get no benefit of the doubt when he tries to separate.

So as a fan call that a bad call all you want. That's your perspective. I'm just explaining why in the scope of officiating and the powers that be, it's not "bad" even if it's incorrect.
    Fantastic technical explanations.

Oh wow, On the MNF pregame show they just called out Christion for sliding short of the marker on the "C'mon man" segment.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Oh wow, On the MNF pregame show they just called out Christion for sliding short of the marker on the "C'mon man" segment.
    IMG_4562.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    IMG_4562.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I want to print that on a cake and eat the whole damn thing.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That’s pretty brutal. Not sure if Christion has some post bunny aspirations or opportunity but calling him out on national tv in what might be a most depressing final game of his career is not cool imho. Don’t like it. Shame on you Moss. Pick on somebody your own size and run over another patrol cop.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    That’s pretty brutal. Not sure if Christion has some post bunny aspirations or opportunity but calling him out on national tv in what might be a most depressing final game of his career is not cool imho. Don’t like it. Shame on you Moss. Pick on somebody your own size and run over another patrol cop.
    You must be unfamiliar with this segment.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh man I saw that also. Wow busted his chops pretty good. It was the truth. But he did not want to take anymore hits. That was obvious.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    It really doesn't take into account the absolute ass whooping he took prior. Nor the fact that his coach still had him out there instead of in concussion protocol.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    You must be unfamiliar with this segment.
    No I’ve seen it multiple times. Much more a fan of the ten best plays of the weekend vs the public shaming of this segment. In this instance I find it particularly foul. Good reflection of Randy Moss character though. Or the lack thereof. #someoneWhoCouldNeverHaveBeenABison.
    Don't believe everything you think.