Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by bajadanny View Post
    Yea the ref was standing right there watching the block in the back
    He's focused on the quarterback because that's his key. The blocker comes from nowhere and he likely didn't see him coming. It's still a miss and should have been called but he's not looking at that block before it happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    He's focused on the quarterback because that's his key. The blocker comes from nowhere and he likely didn't see him coming. It's still a miss and should have been called but he's not looking at that block before it happens.

It happened RIGHT BY the quarterback so count me as baffled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Attachment 8703

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not the first time a NDSU playoff opponent got embarrassed by the "C'mon Man" segment. Remember Bruce Mapp of Coastal Carolina in 2014?

Too bad he got hurt in that game as he did have some pretty good catches and wasn't remembered for them as much as the errant first-down calls.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    It happened RIGHT BY the quarterback so count me as baffled.
    He needs to see the guy who initiates the block before the block. He's not watching that guy. If you just see the result of the block and assume it was a block you're just guessing how it happened.

The wing on the far side should have been watching this guy. He had no key since all but one of the eligible receivers are on the other side. He has that tackle and should stay with him and see that block.

I know this may sound odd and how can the referee possibly not see this, but this is how you process things on the field in real time.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    To me it just looks like more of a brain fart and not realizing he needed that first down. I don’t think you need to question the kids toughness or anything like that.

The segment was more about the decision and not him not being able to take a hit. Wasn’t as bad as I thought it would have been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I actually feel bad for T.C. at this point. He was obviously hurting and possibly concussed. If he had been his normal self he would have ran till he was forced down. It would be interesting to see his passing percentage for the games this year compared to Friday night. He had to be throwing with blurry vision because he was off.
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

For a QB to be that unaware of the down and distance and the time on the clock (not getting out of bounds), you have to think he was playing concussed at that point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    Why was that not a block in the back on the jacks? I just noticed it
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    All 3 players were within 2 feet of each other and the ref can be seen in the video staring right at them!!!! Pretty tough to rationalize a non call there!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    All 3 players were within 2 feet of each other and the ref can be seen in the video staring right at them!!!! Pretty tough to rationalize a non call there!
    Try it some time. Only watch the QB and the defender near him and be only 10-15 feet away. That's what the R is watching. Those watching the video already know there was contact so you \are looking for it. If the R gets his eyes wide enough to see all 3 players he's not going to see potential illegal action on his QB. The first time he likely sees the third player is when the contact is made. He has no idea how the defender got there. It's not a foul if the defender was blocked into that hit or he was already engaged with the defender and the defender turned his back. Early in my career I would see the end of something like this and flag it because all I saw was the result of the contact and make an assumption he was hit from behind. Far more often than not I would see the video and realize I was wrong. That's why you don't guess unless you saw the entire block including the action leading up to it.

In this example, the official who should be watching the action of the tackle is the one at the top of the screen. There is nothing else for him to watch and that is one of his initial keys. This should have been an easy get for him, and he likely gets the downgrade on this.

Officiating is as much about angles and keys as it is about proximity.

There will always be missed calls. The game is fast. That block in the back was pretty much out of the play anyway right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt