Page 8 of 145 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Coach Staff Update

Default Re: 2018 Coach Staff Update

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Dom predicts Mess, Riley, Klanderman, and Ray go with Klieman.

Says Kramer status "unknown".

Dunn doubtful for championship per source.

Lots of info on chat tonight.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'd be good with that (minus the Kramer part). I'd assume that means Riley to OC and Goeser to DC. Retain Hedberg, Roehl, Williams, and Morgan.
    Umm, he said Riley to go with Klieman, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Gotta be old to get this.
    I listen to this on classic radio xm
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Umm, he said Riley to go with Klieman, no?

Doh! You're right. Well I guess Hedberg at OC isn't a bad option either. Be interesting to see whether Dom is right and Klieman takes 4 assistants with him or if Ross Uglem is right and it's only 3. In either case that would pretty darn good to retain 6 or 7 assistants (including Entz).

Although as some have mentioned before if Klieman has openings on his staff in the next few years he definitely could target some of the remaining assistants from his former staff still at NDSU.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Doh! You're right. Well I guess Hedberg at OC isn't a bad option either. Be interesting to see whether Dom is right and Klieman takes 4 assistants with him or if Ross Uglem is right and it's only 3. In either case that would pretty darn good to retain 6 or 7 assistants (including Entz).

Although as some have mentioned before if Klieman has openings on his staff in the next few years he definitely could target some of the remaining assistants from his former staff still at NDSU.
    Hedberg is developing a reputation here as the quarterback whisperer and we will need him more than ever starting in February when the guys come back. I say pay him like an OC and let him keep his current role and responsibilities with the team. If Riley wants to go with Kli then maybe we should look outside the program for a guy. With that said, I wouldn't mind giving TR a crack at it, especially with Hedberg on staff. The most important hire is DC and we need the best possible candidate for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Hedberg is developing a reputation here as the quarterback whisperer and we will need him more than ever starting in February when the guys come back. I say pay him like an OC and let him keep his current role and responsibilities with the team. If Riley wants to go with Kli then maybe we should look outside the program for a guy. With that said, I wouldn't mind giving TR a crack at it, especially with Hedberg on staff. The most important hire is DC and we need the best possible candidate for that role.
    D will be fine under Entz. We need someone who can keep this O going/maturing.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Cool, lets just say we couldn't get Chris Dawson to come to Fargo. He'll get snapped up by a P5 program the minute he hits the market.
    Yeah, I admit that was a super simplistic way of looking at it, but I was still surprised when I saw Dawson's bio page. In a field that should be always pushing into new science, I would expect a top practitioner to have advanced degrees in it. Of course it's possible that Dawson has attended innumerable conferences and studied all the latest literature, but S&C seems to be a field where the tendency is to teach others to do things just because that's the way you were taught.

I've gotten the feeling that Kramer and the NDSU S&C program(at least the football side of it) don't do that. In comparison to someone close to home, I've seen geauxsioux/thebigund talk about how great the UND FB S&C program is, but that program seems to be out of date based on the results on the field(rate of injuries and lack of strength/endurance development). But GS/TBUND is adamant about it and I wonder if it's only because he was shaped by that program, so it must be the best way. (That wasn't a slam, btw, just pointing out that we all have blind spots in areas where we were shaped.)

I will say that looking at the careers of both coaches as well as the results on the field, I would take Kramer over Dawson. And also that we need to pay Kramer a whole lot more and expand the S&C staff so that we can have more specialized trainers for different sports/genders and create an NDSU S&C culture that's not built solely around a single coach. NDSU has 4 S&C coaches, K-State has 11.

Here's what I mean about the difference in careers between Kramer and Dawson. Kramer was interested in training/conditioning from the beginning. A bachelors in PhyEd from UW-La Crosse was immediately followed by a masters in exercise science at App St where he also worked as a S&C grad assistant. He then goes to Georgia Tech for five years as a player development coach. After GT, he creates the S&C program at Northern Iowa(earning a national S&C coach of the year honor in the process) before spending a year and a half at the US Olympic Training Center helping to develop the Performance Enhancement Teams before coming to NDSU. This feels like a guy always on the cutting edge of things.

By contrast, Dawson started as a football player. He got his business bachelors while playing for Oklahoma. While getting his MBA from Oklahoma, he worked as a grad assistant and then became a S&C assistant coach there. After five years at Oklahoma, he spent two months interning with the Dallas Cowboys, five months as team administrator of the XFL LV Outlaws, two years at Minnesota as head strength coach, then six years at Kansas doing the same, all before taking his current job at K-State. I just don't see any outside-the-box work on that resume, and Minnesota and Kansas aren't exactly known for putting exceptionally conditioned teams on the field.

Now this is just a cursory look at their careers without knowing what other work they've done to stay on top of the science of S&C, but I don't see anything that would make me want Dawson over Kramer. And they're almost the same age, so it's not like one has a decade or more experience than the other. On paper it looks like the main reason they are in such different places today is just due to Dawson playing at Oklahoma and getting those early contacts, while Kramer started at a DIII and had to work his way up on his own.

But that's all just an outsider's look.

Got confirmation on one coach going to kstate. Assume the lid is officially off.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Got confirmation on one coach going to kstate. Assume the lid is officially off.
    And???????????

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If Kramer does decide to go with (I personally don't think he will), do we have anyone who has worked under Kramer who can keep the truck rolling here?

This might be the biggest position to fill outside of head coach.