Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485

Thread: It’s a Done Deal

Default Re: It’s a Done Deal

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    I hear lots of talk about "trusting" the former coaches, but I have trouble with that. Once they commit to another team, they have divided loyalties at best. And if the coach thinks that he is the best coach for a player, then he could say that it was in the player's best interest for him to flip his commitment. If a kid says he would rather play for K-State now that he has an opportunity, what should Klieman do? Let's remember, K-State needs help with recruiting right now. If I/m the AD and my new coach (from a perennial national champion team) didn't bring any recruits, I might be pretty disappointed. Once they get past their Big 12 arrogance, K-State fans better hope that Klieman brings some recruits with him. They desperately need them.

It is like a real estate agent. They have a first obligation and it isn't always for your best interest.
    All our recruits were recruited on NDSU’s dime, all the money spent to get the verbals were while coaches were being paid by NDSU, bottom line.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe I answered that in my post with this statement:

I don't know Coach Klieman nor have I ever spoken to him, but from what I've seen of him and the way he handles himself in person and on any type of video media, he's the type of individual I feel most people hope their sons grow up to be.
    Not a chance he gets this job if Gene is not the AD. You and I will have to disagree with that cause I am not buying what is above.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If recruits are coming for a game, we couldn’t ask for a better matchup and excitement around a particular game. Crowd will be electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    Not a chance he gets this job if Gene is not the AD. You and I will have to disagree with that cause I am not buying what is above.
    Totally agree.

But separating myself from this situation, this could turn out to be a very good hire.

1. Klieman is very good coach.
    2. He is an almost perfect cultural fit.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The AD and coaching world is a very small fraternity. Relationships are huge everywhere. I've seen it first hand with some of my work with the Final Four. I doubt there are many coaches hired by ADs where there wasn't either a direct connection or strong referral connection. It appears Coach Klieman has several solid connections throughout college athletics so if it wasn't Gene Taylor at KSU it could have very well been somewhere else. But the fact Taylor was there very likely played a huge role in this being the next landing spot.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The AD and coaching world is a very small fraternity. Relationships are huge everywhere. I've seen it first hand with some of my work with the Final Four. I doubt there are many coaches hired by ADs where there wasn't either a direct connection or strong referral connection. It appears Coach Klieman has several solid connections throughout college athletics so if it wasn't Gene Taylor at KSU it could have very well been somewhere else. But the fact Taylor was there very likely played a huge role in this being the next landing spot.
    Gene mentioned something at Klieman's introductory press conference down in Manhattan today that I thought was interesting. He said that when Klieman interviewed for the job at NDSU he told Gene (paraphrasing) "I'm not just going to when one more championship, I'm going to win multiple more championships". That appears to have stuck with Gene and I'm sure that resonated with him when Klieman interviewed for the K-State job so if Klieman said something like "I'm going to win Big 12 championships here" it holds a little more weight than it would've coming from another candidate who doesn't have that previous relationship with the hiring AD.

I'm sure Gene could've passed along favorable recommendations on Klieman to other P5 ADs, like Iowa St's AD for instance, if they had an opening but it would be tough for any other AD to have the background to go to bat for Klieman like it appears Gene Taylor did.

You don’t have to buy anything as I’m not selling. I made a good estimate prediction and it happened. End of story.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Bison View Post
    All our recruits were recruited on NDSU’s dime, all the money spent to get the verbals were while coaches were being paid by NDSU, bottom line.

Right. No recruit has ever followed the coach who recruited them to a new school after being recruited on the old school's dime.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Maybe we lose 1 or 2 recruits. Not going to break our program. Recruits choose the school and the coach. I don’t blame them for stepping back and reconsidering their choice if something changes. It’s their life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk