Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Has Turned Down A Job With Substantially More Money and Why?

Default Re: Who Has Turned Down A Job With Substantially More Money and Why?

I left a fob for a $50k+ paycut simply because I hated walking in those doors every morning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Easy to turn down substantial opportunities depending on the situation of new position, location, stress, and free time.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaOkie View Post
    Plus the street leading to K-State is named after him, the stadium is named after him, and he has $250K per year retirement clause in his contract to be an ambassador for K-State. How could that go badly??
    Snyder is an idiot.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

If you dont enjoy your job, get out. Money is not everything.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Billy Beane passed on a $12.5 million offer from the Red Sox to stay in Oakland.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

My wife did the same thing only her job didn't pay $millions. She's much happier now making about 1/2 the money without having to answer emails all weekend from her crazy boss.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    My wife left a job at a fortune 50 that was worth many millions because the stress of it was literally destroying her health. Money is definitely not everything.

That said if you can stomach the pressure of a multi million dollar per year gig for four or five years and you are willing to maintain your prior standard of living then how much more career do you need? Perhaps not too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's OK to not be OK.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I left my job to go to work for myself. I make 70% of what I used to make working 40% of the time and I don't have set hours. Golf in the morning, work in the afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    I left my job to go to work for myself. I make 70% of what I used to make working 40% of the time and I don't have set hours. Golf in the morning, work in the afternoon!
    So what’s your handi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

The whole idea that just because it is a P5 coaching job or it pays 2-4 million a year should make no difference at all. The most important thing that should be on anyones mind is are they happy. Coach K is making a lot of money for no matter where you live in the country or what your education level is. So the questions that he or anyone else for that matter should be asking is, "Am I Happy". He has multiple levels to consider, does he make enough money to provide for his family and future, is the family happy with his job, do they live in a nice safe place, and whatever else is important to him. More money does not not guarantee happiness, as a matter of fact, it quite often leads to more stress. So point is, if his family likes Fargo and NDSU, and can manage to survive on 500K a year in pay and benefits plus all the other little perks a person of his status gets around town, then why leave. And if more money and a P5 coaching job is his desire, and it is offered, then go for it.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    So what’s your handi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My guess is that it is 70% better than when he was working for someone else.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?