Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time poster here-honest question

Default First time poster here-honest question

Hi guys, I'm an Alabama alum and have watched NDSU a number of times on the TV. Tremendous respect for what all the program has accomplished at the Division IAA (or FCS) level.

Do you know or think that NDSU will eventually move to the Division IA (FBS) ranks? Honestly, I think they could be pretty good to VERY successful at that level. I would think the Mountain West would be the most logical FBS move, if they were to make that move.

I watch a fair amount of Mountain West football and I think right now, NDSU could beat most (if not all) of those teams.

Anyhow, good luck and I was curious to see what you guys thought.

Default Re: First time poster here-honest question

No one here has ever given it much thought.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Welcome TiderinTexas. Get your popcorn ready! This will be entertaining

Do I bite the bullet here? ok.

I don't want them to move up, yet. Moving up into the G5 seems like a life sentence into mediocrity, unless you are able to pull off UCF or Boise St (even then you will never get a shot at a national championship). Stadium would need to be upgraded a lot and or a new one would need to be built and I also think sports programs would have to be added?

Just not the right time for the university and I will leave it at that.

oh no not this shit again
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Short answer: Maybe? Probably? But not soon I dont imagine.

long Answer: This is like civil war discussion around here. Houses divided, brother fighting against brother. Each side thinks the other side is real life Nazis and view their own side as Jews under Nazi occupation.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

So El Chapo moved to Texas?
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Here's the cliffnotes.

Arguments against:
    1) No logical conference fit from a geography/competition perspective (the B1G and Big 12 have the closest programs geographically and they aren't going to come calling).
    2) Stadium is very small by FBS standards at 18,700 with little room for expansion without massive costs since it's indoor.
    3) Having to add $5-10M (25-30% of what is currently) or more annually to the athletic budget in a very fiscally conservative state.

Arguments for:
    1) Level of competition increase (although you'll see the arguments against claim that the MAC or MWC isn't that much better that where NDSU is currently at)
    2) Avoid stagnation in terms of national notoriety and prestige as we've basically hit the FCS "glass ceiling".
    3) Be proactive by actively seeking an FBS conference invite and making those actions public knowledge to avoid what happened in the 90s at NDSU when the program stagnated in D2 rather than moving up to D1AA when they probably should have.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderinTexas View Post
    Hi guys, I'm an Alabama alum and have watched NDSU a number of times on the TV. Tremendous respect for what all the program has accomplished at the Division IAA (or FCS) level.

Do you know or think that NDSU will eventually move to the Division IA (FBS) ranks? Honestly, I think they could be pretty good to VERY successful at that level. I would think the Mountain West would be the most logical FBS move, if they were to make that move.

I watch a fair amount of Mountain West football and I think right now, NDSU could beat most (if not all) of those teams.

Anyhow, good luck and I was curious to see what you guys thought.
    Not interested in playing all those "pud" teams.........purple

On the off chance this is a genuine query, the site has a search function. Or, just browse around a bit. The subject gets rehashed about once a month.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie