Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time poster here-honest question

Hybrid View

Default First time poster here-honest question

Hi guys, I'm an Alabama alum and have watched NDSU a number of times on the TV. Tremendous respect for what all the program has accomplished at the Division IAA (or FCS) level.

Do you know or think that NDSU will eventually move to the Division IA (FBS) ranks? Honestly, I think they could be pretty good to VERY successful at that level. I would think the Mountain West would be the most logical FBS move, if they were to make that move.

I watch a fair amount of Mountain West football and I think right now, NDSU could beat most (if not all) of those teams.

Anyhow, good luck and I was curious to see what you guys thought.

Default Re: First time poster here-honest question

No one here has ever given it much thought.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Welcome TiderinTexas. Get your popcorn ready! This will be entertaining

Here's the cliffnotes.

Arguments against:
    1) No logical conference fit from a geography/competition perspective (the B1G and Big 12 have the closest programs geographically and they aren't going to come calling).
    2) Stadium is very small by FBS standards at 18,700 with little room for expansion without massive costs since it's indoor.
    3) Having to add $5-10M (25-30% of what is currently) or more annually to the athletic budget in a very fiscally conservative state.

Arguments for:
    1) Level of competition increase (although you'll see the arguments against claim that the MAC or MWC isn't that much better that where NDSU is currently at)
    2) Avoid stagnation in terms of national notoriety and prestige as we've basically hit the FCS "glass ceiling".
    3) Be proactive by actively seeking an FBS conference invite and making those actions public knowledge to avoid what happened in the 90s at NDSU when the program stagnated in D2 rather than moving up to D1AA when they probably should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Here's the cliffnotes.

Arguments against:
    1) No logical conference fit from a geography/competition perspective (the B1G and Big 12 have the closest programs geographically and they aren't going to come calling).
    2) Stadium is very small by FBS standards at 18,700 with little room for expansion without massive costs since it's indoor.
    3) Having to add $5-10M (25-30% of what is currently) or more annually to the athletic budget in a very fiscally conservative state.

Arguments for:
    1) Level of competition increase (although you'll see the arguments against claim that the MAC or MWC isn't that much better that where NDSU is currently at)
    2) Avoid stagnation in terms of national notoriety and prestige as we've basically hit the FCS "glass ceiling".
    3) Be proactive by actively seeking an FBS conference invite and making those actions public knowledge to avoid what happened in the 90s at NDSU when the program stagnated in D2 rather than moving up to D1AA when they probably should have.
    Right on. Good summary of both sides
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Here's the cliffnotes.

Arguments against:

Arguments for:
    Nice summary. There really isn't an answer to the conference question. Some people think that pointing this out is anti-FBS, but it is not.

I also think that we really need to raise the level of the MBB program and the university as a whole because those are good goals regardless of whether NDSU goes FBS or not - it's just a bonus that accomplishing them would make NDSU more attractive to FBS conferences. I mean, if you are the Mountain West looking to add a school and you have to choose from SDSU and NDSU, who do you choose: SDSU with their distinct basketball edge or NDSU with the ability to dominate the football conference?

Some people think that process of going FBS looks like this:

1. Make a lot of noise about going FBS (Let's have a pep rally!)
    2. Cold call FBS conferences
    3. ????
    4. Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I also think that we really need to raise the level of the MBB program and the university as a whole because those are good goals regardless of whether NDSU goes FBS or not
    Solid statement

No idea if this guy is legit or not, but you can expect a fair bit of troll traffic between now and signing day, for obvious reasons.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

Some people think that process of going FBS looks like this:

1. Make a lot of noise about going FBS (Let's have a pep rally!)
    2. Cold call FBS conferences
    3. ????
    4. Profit.
    C’mon tony, go ahead and say what you’re REALLY thinking. I’m a big boy and I can take it.

3. Light a fire under Loaf’s fat ass to get AC/DC in here.

I fully support moving to Divison I.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    C’mon tony, go ahead and say what you’re REALLY thinking. I’m a big boy and I can take it.

3. Light a fire under Loaf’s fat ass to get AC/DC in here.
    AC/DC to the west lot? Dude...we need to expand the tailgate lot first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]