Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First time poster here-honest question

Default Re: First time poster here-honest question

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Here's the cliffnotes.

Arguments against:
    1) No logical conference fit from a geography/competition perspective (the B1G and Big 12 have the closest programs geographically and they aren't going to come calling).
    2) Stadium is very small by FBS standards at 18,700 with little room for expansion without massive costs since it's indoor.
    3) Having to add $5-10M (25-30% of what is currently) or more annually to the athletic budget in a very fiscally conservative state.

Arguments for:
    1) Level of competition increase (although you'll see the arguments against claim that the MAC or MWC isn't that much better that where NDSU is currently at)
    2) Avoid stagnation in terms of national notoriety and prestige as we've basically hit the FCS "glass ceiling".
    3) Be proactive by actively seeking an FBS conference invite and making those actions public knowledge to avoid what happened in the 90s at NDSU when the program stagnated in D2 rather than moving up to D1AA when they probably should have.
    Right on. Good summary of both sides
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Here's the cliffnotes.

Arguments against:
    1) No logical conference fit from a geography/competition perspective (the B1G and Big 12 have the closest programs geographically and they aren't going to come calling).
    2) Stadium is very small by FBS standards at 18,700 with little room for expansion without massive costs since it's indoor.
    3) Having to add $5-10M (25-30% of what is currently) or more annually to the athletic budget in a very fiscally conservative state.

Arguments for:
    1) Level of competition increase (although you'll see the arguments against claim that the MAC or MWC isn't that much better that where NDSU is currently at)
    2) Avoid stagnation in terms of national notoriety and prestige as we've basically hit the FCS "glass ceiling".
    3) Be proactive by actively seeking an FBS conference invite and making those actions public knowledge to avoid what happened in the 90s at NDSU when the program stagnated in D2 rather than moving up to D1AA when they probably should have.
    Nice summary. There really isn't an answer to the conference question. Some people think that pointing this out is anti-FBS, but it is not.

I also think that we really need to raise the level of the MBB program and the university as a whole because those are good goals regardless of whether NDSU goes FBS or not - it's just a bonus that accomplishing them would make NDSU more attractive to FBS conferences. I mean, if you are the Mountain West looking to add a school and you have to choose from SDSU and NDSU, who do you choose: SDSU with their distinct basketball edge or NDSU with the ability to dominate the football conference?

Some people think that process of going FBS looks like this:

1. Make a lot of noise about going FBS (Let's have a pep rally!)
    2. Cold call FBS conferences
    3. ????
    4. Profit.

We are more suited for the NFC north

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    We are more suited for the NFC north

True, as long as we don't face a certain coach named "Ditka."

IMO - I like going to Playoff games, I like winning championships and proving who is #1.
    I do not like a football season ending after a conference game only to wait three to four weeks to play in some no-name bowl game for some gaudy crystal trophy most people will forget after two weeks. Winning a No-Name Bowl is a lot less impressive than battling for the National title trophy....which sounds better, 2017 National Champions OR Winner of the 2017 Tostitos Crunch Bowl

Difference between FCS Champion and the FBS Champion - FCS plays for pride and trophies....FBS plays for bowl money; FCS has an undisputed Champion...FBS Champion is picked by sports writers and open for dispute. Would be fun to see a Georgia Team travel to Michigan or Ohio in Dec for a play-off game.....cold and snow suck to play in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfergy4 View Post
    ..FBS Champion is picked by sports writers and open for dispute. Would be fun to see a Georgia Team travel to Michigan or Ohio in Dec for a play-off game.....cold and snow suck to play in.
    What year is it where you’re at?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/watch...ts-fcs-future/

This kind of explains it.

However, if ndsu could fill the dome at double the current ticket price wouldn't that take the new stadium argument out of the picture?

When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Three words: Another Lakes Alias Bus.

It would be nice if fake posters tried a little harder. I mean c'mon...at least form a committee or something...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    What year is it where you’re at?
    Sports writers still help pick the top 4 teams via the AP poll, don't they? The FCS playoffs would be less exciting if there were just four teams and an undefeated conference champion was left out.
    It's OK to not be OK.