Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The talent gap

Default Re: The talent gap

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    And who do they have rooming with Stick? Lance.
    I do believe it is Lance.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    I do believe it is Lance.
    It is Lance. It was actually meant to be a rhetorical question.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Gopher fans (elite gopher fans) constantly talk about talent, while ignoring team culture, player development, and the sum playing as greater than the parts. Yes, you want to win on recruiting day and get good players, but culture, player development and team are more important in my opinion.

I will beat better talent regularly if I have great team unity and culture. I would expect bison fans to understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by bison_by_blood View Post
    1. Anderson is a freak. He’d start somewhere. Not QB but LB or WR maybe if he can catch?
    2. I’d say the top 4 or 5 best teams each have about 4 or 5 guys that likely would start for us. Most teams I’d guess average around 2 dudes that would.
    3. So if we played EWU’s offense, they upgrade o line and add the best WR in the country. Then play Weber’s D and they can cherry pick 3-4 guys where they’re weakest. Plus they get the best ST guys? They certainly SHOULD beat us, but I would not count the Bison out.
    Agree with this.

What truly sets us apart is the athleticism on the OL and the depth on the DL (this year in particular). Our LG played LT the last two years; our RG has played every position except center. Remember Jacksonville State's fat offensive linemen? Can you see any of those interior guys having the agility to move out and play tackle? Being able to legitimately play 10 guys on the DL is a luxury zero other teams have.

They could use Andersen on defense, not just because he's an incredible athlete but because he is smart.

It seemed like there were plays where Montana State's defense was beat before the ball was snapped because they weren't lined up properly. They could have used a coach on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    It is Lance. It was actually meant to be a rhetorical question.
    Way to give people a chance to answer.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Next year might be just what the doctor ordered for this fan base. I'm not even buying Frisco tickets in August. I think this might just be one of these off years.
    I agree there will obviously be a drop off. Only a fool would predict otherwise. However, there is probably a long ways to fall before #2, so similar to 2014, we could drop off quit a bit and still easily challenge for a natty. Highly doubt we go undefeated next year.

BUT, if you go around the 2 deep you can easily pencil in solid NDSU caliber starters at every position except for WR. That assumes T.L. is the real deal at QB, a bet I’d be willing to make with anyone at any practical amount.

As for this topic in general, it’s quite a bit overboard. This team has deficiencies, just not ones you can notice playing the MNLonghorn denounced puds that we do. All of our linebackers except for Jabril could easily be better. At WR, given the field or NDSUs roster, I’d only consider 1 Bison, and even that be a stretch. Quite frankly Big Fluffy has better. Within the MoValley there are a few CBs I’d take over ours. Our DTs are really good, but not exactly dominant. Just being realistic...

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    As for this topic in general, it’s quite a bit overboard. This team has deficiencies, just not ones you can notice playing the MNLonghorn denounced puds that we do. All of our linebackers except for Jabril could easily be better. At WR, given the field or NDSUs roster, I’d only consider 1 Bison, and even that be a stretch. Quite frankly Big Fluffy has better. Within the MoValley there are a few CBs I’d take over ours. Our DTs are really good, but not exactly dominant. Just being realistic...
    What's overboard? I don't see anyone saying that our players are more talented across the board than other FCS teams, though the OP poses that question. My original point was that the talent of the individual players doesn't matter as much as the chemistry of the team -- assuming you've got some pretty solid talent to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    They could use Andersen on defense, not just because he's an incredible athlete but because he is smart.

It seemed like there were plays where Montana State's defense was beat before the ball was snapped because they weren't lined up properly. They could have used a coach on the field.
    Wouldn’t have helped. If you listen to coach’s presser we had our own coach on the field who would just audible to counter their adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    What's overboard? I don't see anyone saying that our players are more talented across the board than other FCS teams, though the OP poses that question. My original point was that the talent of the individual players doesn't matter as much as the chemistry of the team -- assuming you've got some pretty solid talent to start with.
    Well, for starters, this, which is a ridiculous question to ask (many schools do is the correct answer):

Quote Originally Posted by fmfantasy View Post

2- how many FCS teams have more than 2-3 players that would start for us?

I’ll side with post #3 in this thread.