Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Wake up Bison Nation!

Default Re: Wake up Bison Nation!

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Our ability to move to an FBS conference has remarkably little to do with the quality of the football team.
    That's as succinctly as you can put it but nobody will get it.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    nobody will get it.
    Pretty sure everybody gets it

SafeTeeJ is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by fmfantasy View Post
    Cruised? they barely won half their games...

Would that be the legendary 1988 team that beat the mighty Augustana 28-26? the unstoppable St Cloud State 29-28? the monsters of the Midway Mankato 21-17? beat UND 34-27? I mean UND???? the team that won the last 3 play off games by 10-22-14? They beat Millersville by 10 in the playoffs? a school I have never heard of and they only dominated in the playoffs as they brought teams to dakotah field and froze their ass off....

Those seem like there would have been a lot of exciting games though - edge of your seat stuff... Bison games only look as close as 40 points cause the coach sits everyone but redshirts or runs 3 play offense half of every game... if Kleiman was paid a 2K bonus per point they would average 80 a game..
    Win is a win, baby! Those NCC teams were very good those years in the late 80s. Mankato and St Cloud always played us tight and beat us in down years.
    Millersville was an option team and knew how to defend us due to familiarity of style. Remember the Wofford playoff game.....?

I’m sure CAS can add to this.
    "The bird is in your hand"

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Not that this hypothetical match up will happen, but if it did, I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that we'd keep it closer with Alabama than Montana State did with us. NDSU would look like they belonged while getting beat like pretty much all the other decent teams that Alabama plays. My guess is that it would end up with Alabama scoring around 30-something while we score in the low 20s. Ask a recent player sometime. See what they think.

Per Sagarin, we're rated only about 3 touchdowns less than Alabama. MT State is about 4 TDs + FG lower than us. We're rated comparably to teams that Alabama beat by 20-ish points, but the Bison also play up for the big games.

Of course a recent player would have the confidence to play them and want to play them. Any competitor in any sport would want that. NDSU would lose 100 out of 100 vs Bama. different level.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Agreed! There is a huge talent gap. I still think NDSU wouldn't be embarrassed on the same field as Alabama.
    This is probably correct. Top FBS teams roll over good quality Group of 5 teams all the times, often with 2nd and 3rd stringers playing in the 2nd half. Alabama smashed Louisiana, who made the Sun Belt title game, Clemson killed Georgia Southern, who was a good Sun Belt team. Alabama and Clemson would outmatch NDSU in strength and also have a massive speed advantage at the playmaker positions (something the FBS teams that NDSU has beaten recently did not have). NDSU would struggle having to go against NFL caliber WRs and QBs like Alabama and Clemson both have.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

But it's a game that I want to see NDSU play. Win (extremely unlikely) or lose by 21. Just to see where we are competition wise. Line them all up. Ohio State, Michigan, Washington, Oklahoma, Clemson etc. etc. Oregon can't come quick enough!
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

I certainly agree. I would also like to see matchups vs good group of 5 teams like N.Illinois, Utah State etc. I know they would never schedule NDSU but it would be interesting to see the result of those type of matchups.

Default Wake up Bison Nation!

Quote Originally Posted by fmfantasy View Post
    Only in ND would Doug Burgum be considered a rich alumni... I am talking a billionaire like even UND has. or someone who could pony up 500 million to name a stadium after not a Residence hall...
    Not exactly there sport. I happen to be acquainted with a billionaire down here in the MSP metro area. He made a donation some years ago to one of the universities in town and has his name on a building as a result. But that donation, while newsworthy and notable, was an order of magnitude less than your wild eyed imagination. You are fooling yourself if you think some billionaire alumnus is going to donate that kind of money for a sports stadium. How the hell do you think they got to be billionaires?

Oh and don’t kid yourself - NDSU most certainly has alumni who have ten digit net worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    You know it. I wish these people that keep pushing for for FBS would actually do more than spout off on a message board. Make some calls, write some some 6 figure checks, then we'll see how it goes.
    Typical anti FBS rant. So NDSU's president and AD have no responsibility to provide any kind of vision or pursue it? Maybe communicate now and then to the taxpayers, students, Alumni and Teammakers about these concerns? NDSU football has brought national attention to NDSU , Fargo and North Dakota so it's not like it isnt important. Other than recent convention center plans will there be improvements to the dome to build better suites and add some more seats for the future? How about football goimg to the next level? Is it strictly status quo and waiting for the phone to ring or is something being done to be sure other conferences know we would be very interested? Maybe work with the Montanas, SDSU and others to create a new FBS conference? Fans shouldn't have to call direct to get this info.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Typical anti FBS rant. So NDSU's president and AD have no responsibility to provide any kind of vision or pursue it? Maybe communicate now and then to the taxpayers, students, Alumni and Teammakers about these concerns? NDSU football has brought national attention to NDSU , Fargo and North Dakota so it's not like it isnt important. Other than recent convention center plans will there be improvements to the dome to build better suites and add some more seats for the future? How about football goimg to the next level? Is it strictly status quo and waiting for the phone to ring or is something being done to be sure other conferences know we would be very interested? Maybe work with the Montanas, SDSU and others to create a new FBS conference? Fans shouldn't have to call direct to get this info.
    Has it occurred to you that perhaps not going FBS is NDSU’s President and AD being responsible to the taxpayers, students, Alumni and Teammakers concerns?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie