Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: MSU Post Game Thoughts

Default Re: MSU Post Game Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by eman View Post
    does anyone have a link to the montana state coaches postgame???
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    That's just a link to the NDSU post-game presser. I haven't been able to find one for Montana State either. Maybe they refused to do one? Are they allowed to decline?

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    That's just a link to the NDSU post-game presser. I haven't been able to find one for Montana State either. Maybe they refused to do one? Are they allowed to decline?
    Their coach strikes me as the type of guy who would not opt out if he could.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Their coach strikes me as the type of guy who would not opt out if he could.
    I agree. But usually those things aren't so difficult to find. Even on their own YouTube channel it isn't shown.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't believe they are allowed to decline. There was reference made to their post game press conference in several articles on the game, but like many, have not been able to find that posted anywhere online.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    I don't believe they are allowed to decline. There was reference made to their post game press conference in several articles on the game, but like many, have not been able to find that posted anywhere online.
    They definitely had some interviews. I was in Fargo for the game and we saw/heard some quotes on the evening news Saturday and in the Forum yesterday. That said I have been unable to find a video of their presser.

This article contains some excerpts: https://billingsgazette.com/sports/c...92081f2d8.html

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    Solid post, but I’d have to say the comments about MSU being in the mix for Frisco in the near future are certainly possible, but more likely misguided. Far too often fans see their team make a short playoff run and optimistically think their team is on the upswing when in reality it is closer to a peak.

I understand you’ll be better next year with what you have coming back, but let’s be honest, the bobcats are nowhere near a title contender with or without a home playoff game.

MSU has been a middle of the road program for decades. What exactly is going to be the catalyst to be that much of a game changer for MSUs program?
    Number one, I'd have to say Coach Choate....he's upped the recruiting game and is more focused on player development. Number 2, they'll have a better QB next year. Troy Andersen is a great player....but he's not a good QB, and with any luck will be moving back to linebacker next season. That makes the defense better....plus 2 of our best linebackers missed most of the season with injuries. Anyway, they will get a lot of depth back on defense with guys simply healing up (we were pretty dinged up in the secondary as well). Big Sky Conference is also getting better, and though you guys refer to it as the big fluffy....I don't think they are as far behind the Valley as you guys think (and will actually pass you up as a conference in the next year or two). Also, renewed push for facilities. Finally, how many teams do you think are "in the mix" for Frisco this year? I have 4....NDSU, SDSU, EWU and Weber State (though I give Kennesaw State honorable mention as I believe they are underrated). Not sure what SDSU loses other than qb.....but you guys are losing 16 starters an likely your coach, and Montana State is catching up with EWU and Weber. Regardless of whether you guys continue on your run or start to slide back to the pack......I would expect MSU to be mentioned as a possible title contender over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotabobcat View Post
    Number one, I'd have to say Coach Choate....he's upped the recruiting game and is more focused on player development. Number 2, they'll have a better QB next year. Troy Andersen is a great player....but he's not a good QB, and with any luck will be moving back to linebacker next season. That makes the defense better....plus 2 of our best linebackers missed most of the season with injuries. Anyway, they will get a lot of depth back on defense with guys simply healing up (we were pretty dinged up in the secondary as well). Big Sky Conference is also getting better, and though you guys refer to it as the big fluffy....I don't think they are as far behind the Valley as you guys think (and will actually pass you up as a conference in the next year or two). Also, renewed push for facilities. Finally, how many teams do you think are "in the mix" for Frisco this year? I have 4....NDSU, SDSU, EWU and Weber State (though I give Kennesaw State honorable mention as I believe they are underrated). Not sure what SDSU loses other than qb.....but you guys are losing 16 starters an likely your coach, and Montana State is catching up with EWU and Weber. Regardless of whether you guys continue on your run or start to slide back to the pack......I would expect MSU to be mentioned as a possible title contender over the next few years.
    --On Troy being a good QB... I dunno... I think he is pretty good. Maybe not great at QB, but I don't think you guys would have gotten to where you are without him being pretty good. I concur that he is an amazing athlete, regardless of position played.

--On the Big Fluffy... I suppose it is always possible that they improve beyond the MVFC, but I don't see that happening in the next year or two. It's a hard thing to measure, though. (Unless you use some sort of computer system like Sagarin, which currently has the MVFC rated at about 10 points higher than the Big Sky -- and the way he ranks conferences is that less weight is placed on the highest and lowest rated teams and more on the middle teams. If NDSU had a higher weight, the disparity would be even greater.) Head to head match-ups over time give some indication, but are not always the best measure of the relative strength of conferences.

--On title contenders this year... you are probably about right at this point. A few weeks ago, I would have included JMU. Though, if SDSU were in the other side of the bracket, I might lean toward only two real contenders. EWU has overcome some adversity this year and is still looking strong. I was impressed with Weber last year, but haven't kept up with them this year.

--Finally, I really like Choate and believe he has the capacity to bring a program to a different level. It's fun for individual teams to speculate on what is coming next year and future years, but I've seen enough really good teams loaded with younger players and a solid coach that have had a good year and then fizzled a bit the next year. It's a very difficult prospect to maintain success at this level of football. I'm glad NDSU has been so successful over the past several years in D-I, but there will likely be a few "down" years here and there too. They have obviously figured something out that other teams haven't been able to reproduce yet. It would be fun for other teams to up their game a bit so that the entire FCS landscape increases the level of play.
    Last edited by thebootfitter; 12-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

[QUOTE=thebootfitter;1315591--Finally, I really like Choate and believe he has the capacity to bring a program to a different level. It's fun for individual teams to speculate on what is coming next year and future years, but I've seen enough really good teams loaded with younger players and a solid coach that have had a good year and then fizzled a bit the next year. It's a very difficult prospect to maintain success at this level of football. I'm glad NDSU has been so successful over the past several years in D-I, but there will likely be a few "down" years here and there too. They have obviously figured something out that other teams haven't been able to reproduce yet. It would be fun for other teams to up their game a bit so that the entire FCS landscape increases the level of play.[/QUOTE]

This, I agree with "really good teams loaded with younger players and a solid coach that have had a good year and then fizzled a bit the next year." At NDSU its about the 'program', not the players and coaches. The NDSU program is a secret ingredient that carries class to class, year to year, player to player.....history, institution, character, etc. Player accountability prevents the level of drop off many teams experience after a successful season. Coach Karmer puts the previous year behind, and ensures the new year is a new year. --- program, institution & history. Returning graduated players keep checking up on the current program and players to ensure the program is on the right track year in and year out.

Who else has that kind of structure? You don't build that in one year or on one Natty, etc.
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!

--On Troy being a good QB... I dunno... I think he is pretty good. Maybe not great at QB, but I don't think you guys would have gotten to where you are without him being pretty good. I concur that he is an amazing athlete, regardless of position played.

--On the Big Fluffy... I suppose it is always possible that they improve beyond the MVFC, but I don't see that happening in the next year or two. It's a hard thing to measure, though. (Unless you use some sort of computer system like Sagarin, which currently has the MVFC rated at about 10 points higher than the Big Sky -- and the way he ranks conferences is that less weight is placed on the highest and lowest rated teams and more on the middle teams. If NDSU had a higher weight, the disparity would be even greater.) Head to head match-ups over time give some indication, but are not always the best measure of the relative strength of conferences.

--On title contenders this year... you are probably about right at this point. A few weeks ago, I would have included JMU. Though, if SDSU were in the other side of the bracket, I might lean toward only two real contenders. EWU has overcome some adversity this year and is still looking strong. I was impressed with Weber last year, but haven't kept up with them this year.

--Finally, I really like Choate and believe he has the capacity to bring a program to a different level. It's fun for individual teams to speculate on what is coming next year and future years, but I've seen enough really good teams loaded with younger players and a solid coach that have had a good year and then fizzled a bit the next year. It's a very difficult prospect to maintain success at this level of football. I'm glad NDSU has been so successful over the past several years in D-I, but there will likely be a few "down" years here and there too. They have obviously figured something out that other teams haven't been able to reproduce yet. It would be fun for other teams to up their game a bit so that the entire FCS landscape increases the level of play.
    ...let me rephrase that....Troy is amazing at running the ball from the quarterback position. NDSU knew what was coming, and he still managed to rush for 129 yards. However, he's not really consistent at passing the ball. In our games against NDSU, Weber and EWU....they just loaded the box to stop the run, and our offense stalled. I just don' think the Cats can jump to the next level without a better passing game, as they were too one dimensional this year.

-Well....UND is jumping into the Valley in 2 years (?). That alone could shift things to the Big Sky There is Sagarin...but they have UNI above UC Davis and Montana, who both beat them.....so I think Sagarin has some flaws, especially at the FCS level. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotabobcat View Post
    ...let me rephrase that....Troy is amazing at running the ball from the quarterback position. NDSU knew what was coming, and he still managed to rush for 129 yards. However, he's not really consistent at passing the ball. In our games against NDSU, Weber and EWU....they just loaded the box to stop the run, and our offense stalled. I just don' think the Cats can jump to the next level without a better passing game, as they were too one dimensional this year.

-Well....UND is jumping into the Valley in 2 years (?). That alone could shift things to the Big Sky There is Sagarin...but they have UNI above UC Davis and Montana, who both beat them.....so I think Sagarin has some flaws, especially at the FCS level. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Troy was impressive, but a good chunk of those yards were on a missed run fit. NDSU has had problems with running QB's, but everyone else gets shut down. By the way, MSU knew what was coming and we wound up with 3 100 yard rushers and 407 yards.
    Last edited by Vet70; 12-04-2018 at 12:15 AM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix