Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Keen Invitational

Default Cliff Keen Invitational

The CKLV invitational starts in just over two hours. Outside of the NCAA tournament, this is likely one of the two toughest tournaments in the country (B10 tourney is the other), and over half of the 200 ranked wrestlers by Flo are entered.

For NDSU, this will be a great test. The only down side, I don't see Andrew Fogarty listed in the entrants at 165.

Default Re: Cliff Keen Invitational

Honestly, some pretty rough draws.

I actually like Fleetwood's draw and would love to see him make a run to the semis and get his shot at Rivera. I think he beast Mead of Ohio State, and then has a really tough one vs Hayes. If he beats Hayes, I like him to beat former NCAA runner up Moisey to get to the semis.

Sykora has a decent shot to make the quarters. His match vs Phillippi should be really telling.

I think Sutton wins round one and then has an interesting match vs all American Chad Red. Red hasn't been great early on, but is still a supreme talent.

Metz has 4 seed Daniel, and then if he wins that, Unseeded Thomas, and then 5 seeded Goodhart. He's an underdog in all of these matches, but I actually think he is capable of winning each of them. If he does, he'd get Gable Steveson in the semis.

The rest of the draws are pretty brutal for advancing on the championship side of the bracket.

Should be a great day of wrestling either way!

Sutton gets them off to good start with a convincing win over Cal Poly. He'll have All American Chad Red next.

Lorenzo De La Riva should be up next for NDSU against Vince Deprez of Binghampton on mat 8

De La Riva wins by fall! Really solid win. He'll have a really tough one vs Mikey Labs on Nebraska next

De La Riva led 5-1 after the first, 5-2 after the second, and gave up a takedown in the third, before reversing Deprez to his back.

Fleetwood makes NDSU 3-0 on the day with an 8-0 major decision win.

Sykora didn't get a single tilt or turn and was still able to get a conving 9-3 win. That's a good sign.

Sutton coming up on mat 10 vs All American Chad Red and Van Maanen will be up on 1 vs Nebraska's Colin Purinton (who looked great in his first match)

Incredible job of scrambling by Sutton to not only avoid giving up the opening takedown, but to score also. He leads 2-1 early while Van Maanen trails 2-1

Sutton doing a great job defensively and leads 2-1 after one over all american Chad Red.

Van Maanen trails 4-2 after one and doesn't look like he'll be competitive without a big throw

Sutton finally gave takedown up off job a mistimed fake. Tied 4-4 in the third.

Van Maanen riding tough, but no turns

Sutton loses 8-5, but he wrestled really well.

Van Maanen only down 1 with a minute to go and just missed a takedown