Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: JMU coach Mike Houston leaving for Charlotte?

Default Re: JMU coach Mike Houston leaving for Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    If Klieman leaves with Bohl, it would have been open season on our entire recruiting class.

Bohl earned a spot in the HOF but that doesn't change the fact that he should have been shown the door when he decided to coach another team, you can't coach and recruit for two different programs.
    Well, he did, and we still won.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Here is my question.....what would be a "good" way for a coach to handle these situations, especially now with signing day moved up?

If you're a good FCS coach having success, you're going to still be playing games this time of year. If you're out of it already, you're likely not a candidate for other jobs. If you wait until your team is done playing, most of the jobs are probably gone. Short of finishing the year and then taking a year off, how can a coach handle these situations without "wronging his current team/players".

It's easy to criticize these coaches, but what would you have them do if their goal is to advance?
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Here is my question.....what would be a "good" way for a coach to handle these situations, especially now with signing day moved up?

If you're a good FCS coach having success, you're going to still be playing games this time of year. If you're out of it already, you're likely not a candidate for other jobs. If you wait until your team is done playing, most of the jobs are probably gone. Short of finishing the year and then taking a year off, how can a coach handle these situations without "wronging his current team/players".

It's easy to criticize these coaches, but what would you have them do if their goal is to advance?
    Very good question. I suspect that contracts will be revised over time so that a departing coach can not legally poach an assistant coach without some buy out that removes financial hide from the departing HC if the team is still playing. That way the institutions can still have a chance to hold onto recruits with the remaining staff. There were pieces of this regarding recruits in Bobl’s contract but it was determined to not be enforceable since high school kids are not yet “employees” of the state.

Well, he did, and we still won.
    Lakes could have coached that team to a title at that point.

Bohl was in the football office, working for Wyoming, recruiting NDSU recruits to Wyoming...If we had nobody around to recruit for NDSU...it could have gotten ugly.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Bohl was in the football office, working for Wyoming, recruiting NDSU recruits to Wyoming...If we had nobody around to recruit for NDSU...it could have gotten ugly.
    I agree, I think the main factor was keeping klieman and some of the other staff. If they had left it would have been interesting to see how many recruits would have left. It does seem unfair to the players and institutions to allow these coaches to take another job and keep coaching while recruiting for a different school

Whoa, whoa, now we are in full-blown hyperbole.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

You doubt the power of the "Here we go Bison" chant starter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Whoa, whoa, now we are in full-blown hyperbole. [emoji3]
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I agree with a lot of this. For the top FCS coaches/programs they are in a really tough spot and inevitably run into a bohl/houston situation. The timing of it doesn’t help them whatsoever. I don’t know if there is a good way around it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    If the time comes this would make a great sign.
    and/or Houston has a Problem

I agree, the situation sucks. Best way is to probably take the job, leave ASAP and let the school name an interim HC.