Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: JMU coach Mike Houston leaving for Charlotte?

HerdistheWord is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: JMU coach Mike Houston leaving for Charlotte?

[QUOTE=2011BisonAlumni;1314265]

And regarding the timing.....fuck that. You owe your employer absolutely NOTHING. You leave when the opportunity is right.[/QUOTE

In Bohl's case, NDSU was still cutting his checks and he absolutely owed them his loyalty to them for that period. His responsibility was to NDSU at that point. I am probably on the other extreme though, because i think when you make a commitment (i.e. sign a contract), then you hold up your end of the bargain. Working a second job that has interests conflicting with you first job is absolutley despicable, at least IMO. It is selfish and basically reaults in a deriliction of your first job's duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    What if the whole staff goes with the HC?
    Great point. That furthers the idea that there may not be any good answers.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    I've always assumed that if Bohl had been told by Gene he was out immediately that Bohl would NOT have gotten his Natty bonus that year since he wasn't around for it. This alone should be reason enough to tell any coach his season with us just ended.
    Given his new salary at WYO, I'm not sure the national signing bonus at NDSU would have made a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Great point. That furthers the idea that there may not be any good answers.
    I agree, if it's just the head coach that leaves it wouldn't be a big deal. What do you do though when he takes half the staff with him? Not fair to the kids that lose the coaches in the middle of a playoff run. The other argument is how much they are preparing vs recruiting for the other school. Its yo bad schools don't have to wait until after all the games to contact coaches but with recruiting they need to get someone asap so they can recruit/poach kids before the signing period. No win situation right now for anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Ok, sure. But what is the right way? I've yet to really hear anyone have a great answer to that. One optioned mentioned is it accept your new job and simply resign immediately. At least that would be completely upfront, I suppose. You'd still have people saying, "how could he leave us in the middle of the season". I know I don't. To me the coaches are almost in a no-win situation in terms of public perception.

It's unrealistic to expect people to not want to advance their careers and the problems is the timing of the opportunities is awful for the program's the coaches are leaving.
    Exactly. I don’t get why people project their fanhood onto coaches and call them disloyal when they make a business decision to improve their family’s standard of living. It was always funny to me when fans freak out when a coach leaves, and the reaction seems “I love this program so much, why doesn’t he?”

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Exactly. I don’t get why people project their fanhood onto coaches and call them disloyal when they make a business decision to improve their family’s standard of living. It was always funny to me when fans freak out when a coach leaves, and the reaction seems “I love this program so much, why doesn’t he?”
    As the saying goes, if you want loyalty (or a friend) get a dog.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

IMO the only way to handle this situation is to remain transparent. The administration and the players need to be the first to know.

If it were me in this hypothetical situation I would tell the school that was fixin to hire me that I’ll sign the contract after I speak with my administration and my team. If this shit gets out before that, then you can tear that damn contract up.

I know that could lead to a pretty nasty situation...but you’re going to get a glimpse of the commitment you’re going to get from the new administration. If they want you bad enough they’ll figure a way to keep it quiet.

You could also compare it with kids leaving for the NFL early. I know at our level that’s highly unlikely but I think all those kids in that locker room know that if they are a junior and good enough to get drafted on day two that they’re going to take care of themselves. It’s not that you aren’t committed to your school...but you’re talking one year vs the rest of your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

I just read two or three of my recent posts and they all contain grammar or spelling errors. Therefore, I'm banning myself from BV for the next 19 minutes. I guess I need to stop drinking in the morning.

An easy way to fix this coaching carousel frenzy is to make the early signing period actually early.... as in August before high school football starts. Most schools have a bunch of verbals by then anyway and it would make this time of year less hectic and rushed when it comes to coaching changes if schools have a good chunk of their classes already signed.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Have there been any reports of players de-committing from JMU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.