Page 163 of 368 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 3672

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Default Re: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    We win one more game against a sub 500 team and we jump up to a 12-13 seed? Doubtful. Dave’s done a great job and I think if you would have said they’d make the big dance 3 out of 6 years at the start of his tenure everyone would be happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No but a few more wins would have, those losses to SB, UV, ORU and UND were bad losses. Add in a win over a K-State or Indiana State which were very winnable and we'd easily be looking at a 12 or even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I have never heard this saying, but I intend to embrace it and use it often.

Okay...maybe not Gonzaga. But we can certainly be a Wichita State. I'd be okay with that. Let's just move the needle a little bit. We should always be good enough to be a contender for an at-large NIT bid, at least. And anything other than a 1st round post-season win should be the disappointment mark. Then the gravy could start with the second post-season win. And yeah, after the SHAC opened, I soon realized it is what it is. And what it was was that me knees knocked the seat in front of me, and I'm not even that tall.

In any case, to be sure, I'm pulling for Richman. I would love for him to kill it during March Madness and go deep in the tourney, and secure his place at NDSU or where ever he might want to be. Let's do it.

Gregg Marshall makes $3.5 Million per year. We "certainly" aren't able to pay a coach that kind of salary or fill a 10K+ arena

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I have never heard this saying, but I intend to embrace it and use it often.

Okay...maybe not Gonzaga. But we can certainly be a Wichita State. I'd be okay with that. Let's just move the needle a little bit. We should always be good enough to be a contender for an at-large NIT bid, at least. And anything other than a 1st round post-season win should be the disappointment mark. Then the gravy could start with the second post-season win. And yeah, after the SHAC opened, I soon realized it is what it is. And what it was was that me knees knocked the seat in front of me, and I'm not even that tall.

In any case, to be sure, I'm pulling for Richman. I would love for him to kill it during March Madness and go deep in the tourney, and secure his place at NDSU or where ever he might want to be. Let's do it.
    Gonzaga was built off 2 coaches and Witchita St is built off 1 coach, and only because the schools ponied up and paid those coaches richly, something NDSU will never be able to afford to do. NDSU basketball was an average at best program in D2, and nobody expected it to be anything in D1 and the University at the time approached it as such, and is now trying to play catch up.

If NDSU is going to insist staying in this irrelevant non money generating FCS, then they need to start taking money away from that and putting into the basketball program if they want to even start acting like a program like Gonzaga or WSU.

Also Witchita St has showed an all in mentality at trying to get to the highest level it can in basketball, something NDSU won't even do in Football.

People can still question Richman all they want, but in the argument of NDSU becoming a school like Gonzaga or WSU, it's the NDSU athletic department and school holding it back, not Richman.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    Gregg Marshall makes $3.5 Million per year. We "certainly" aren't able to pay a coach that kind of salary or fill a 10K+ arena
    WSU has also showed aggressive moment in elevating it's conference status, something NDSU won't even do in football.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post
    Gonzaga was built off 2 coaches and Witchita St is built off 1 coach, and only because the schools ponied up and paid those coaches richly, something NDSU will never be able to afford to do. NDSU basketball was an average at best program in D2, and nobody expected it to be anything in D1 and the University at the time approached it as such, and is now trying to play catch up.

If NDSU is going to insist staying in this irrelevant non money generating FCS, then they need to start taking money away from that and putting into the basketball program if they want to even start acting like a program like Gonzaga or WSU.

Also Witchita St has showed an all in mentality at trying to get to the highest level it can in basketball, something NDSU won't even do in Football.

People can still question Richman all they want, but in the argument of NDSU becoming a school like Gonzaga or WSU, it's the NDSU athletic department and school holding it back, not Richman.
    I do agree with all of this. I will ask though, did those programs pony up to get those quality coaches or did they recognize early what they had and decide to hitch their wagons to them? I don't know the details and am too lazy to look it up. I think the one thing that is going to have to happen to do what you suggest, is that NDSU is going to have to start taking care of business in the non-conference. With the way the Summit has gone there is no room for down games. If they were to do that I think the attendance would increase (more money) and then I think they'd be able to get some better non-conference foes. With the quadrant system in place I think a 13 is as high as a Summit champ is going to get unless they are 1 or 2 loss team with a Q1/Q2 win.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I can tell you one thing that saved Dave's job and that was when Khy left and he was in the position to get Vinnie. Without that happening that last two dances most likely don't happen and Dave is done. I will say this as my grandpa and I have talked about this for 15 years for mid major BB. We are only good when we have a great point guard. Next year either Cam will have to step up big time or we will completely regress.

Dave has done a decent job. We have made it to the dance the last few years, but he is totally baffling at times as well. Oh well I will live with these great results.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Three NCAA tournament appearances. A 12-3 record in Summit League Tournament play. 120 wins in six seasons. Three 20 win seasons. And a win in the tourney ties the school record for single-season wins. A winning record in five of six seasons. His predecessor, a terrific coach and wonderful man, had TWO losing seasons, only reached the 20 win mark three times in six years, was bounced in the first round of the Summit Tournament THREE consecutive years, and had a 7-4 record in Summit Tournament play! What the hell more do you haters want? He's the FOURTH highest paid coach in this league! SDSU, USD, and ORU head guys all make more. And none of those coaches have taken a team to the NCAA's. Dave is doing it for the THIRD time! And he's putting up better numbers than all three.

Does he crack jokes at every bend and whim? Nope. Will he run up to you in the stands and give you a high five and tell you how awesome you are? Nope. Is he paid to do those things? Nope. Yet some of you persist to hate and run your mouths. Yeah, he's had a good run since last January, let's see how he does when Vinnie and Tyson are gone, then we'll give him an extension. Yeah, he took a team to the tourney when LA was here, but let's see how he does when LA is gone. He's consistently done more with less again and again and again. Outside of Hendo taking the SDSU job, he's kept his assistant coaches in Fargo despite lower salaries than their peers. You all cried and complained when Khy left and did the same thing when Deng bolted. No offense to those young men, but the program has been better without them.

So, tell me. At $230K a year, what more do you want than what Dave is giving? Seriously. What's your definition of success and how has he not met it? Many of you talk about the 2013-14 Notre Dame win like this great, holy moment and because he hasn't had a Power 5 win like that, that he's been a disappointment. That Irish team finished 15-17 and won a whopping 6 ACC games. Would venture to guess the win over ETSU will prove to be a better W when season-ending NET rankings come out.

Ben Jacobson at UNI? Four NCAA appearances in 14 years. Greg Kampe at Oakland University? Three NCAA appearances in 34 years. Dave Richman at NDSU? THREE NCAA appearances in 6 years. So, tell me, all of you brilliant basketball minds. What's your definition of success for Bison Basketball? If you look at it objectively, it's never, ever been this healthy. And you'd be hard pressed to find another coach that will put it in a better position.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SUAlum05 View Post
    Three NCAA tournament appearances. A 12-3 record in Summit League Tournament play. 120 wins in six seasons. Three 20 win seasons. And a win in the tourney ties the school record for single-season wins. A winning record in five of six seasons. His predecessor, a terrific coach and wonderful man, had TWO losing seasons, only reached the 20 win mark three times in six years, was bounced in the first round of the Summit Tournament THREE consecutive years, and had a 7-4 record in Summit Tournament play! What the hell more do you haters want? He's the FOURTH highest paid coach in this league! SDSU, USD, and ORU head guys all make more. And none of those coaches have taken a team to the NCAA's. Dave is doing it for the THIRD time! And he's putting up better numbers than all three.

Does he crack jokes at every bend and whim? Nope. Will he run up to you in the stands and give you a high five and tell you how awesome you are? Nope. Is he paid to do those things? Nope. Yet some of you persist to hate and run your mouths. Yeah, he's had a good run since last January, let's see how he does when Vinnie and Tyson are gone, then we'll give him an extension. Yeah, he took a team to the tourney when LA was here, but let's see how he does when LA is gone. He's consistently done more with less again and again and again. Outside of Hendo taking the SDSU job, he's kept his assistant coaches in Fargo despite lower salaries than their peers. You all cried and complained when Khy left and did the same thing when Deng bolted. No offense to those young men, but the program has been better without them.

So, tell me. At $230K a year, what more do you want than what Dave is giving? Seriously. What's your definition of success and how has he not met it? Many of you talk about the 2013-14 Notre Dame win like this great, holy moment and because he hasn't had a Power 5 win like that, that he's been a disappointment. That Irish team finished 15-17 and won a whopping 6 ACC games. Would venture to guess the win over ETSU will prove to be a better W when season-ending NET rankings come out.

Ben Jacobson at UNI? Four NCAA appearances in 14 years. Greg Kampe at Oakland University? Three NCAA appearances in 34 years. Dave Richman at NDSU? THREE NCAA appearances in 6 years. So, tell me, all of you brilliant basketball minds. What's your definition of success for Bison Basketball? If you look at it objectively, it's never, ever been this healthy. And you'd be hard pressed to find another coach that will put it in a better position.
    OK Dave! Your time would be better spent petitioning ML for a raise than praise from Bisonville.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Everybody wants to be Gonzaga. It takes a lot more than hopes and dreams to get there. As the saying goes you can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

I probably bought the same metaphorical knock off wristwatch you did when the SHAC opened but I've realized that this is what it is. Any season that ends in a Summit League tourney championship is a good season in my book. Any season that doesn't is a disappointment. Anything beyond that is gravy.
    I don't have any delusions of grandeur about becoming Gonzaga. My hopes / expectations for the men's basketball team are as follows.

100% D1 regular season schedule every year without exception.
    Head coaches salary towards the top of the league and comparable to football.
    Minimum 1 P5 home game played by each class.
    Each Sr. class makes 1.5 appearances in the dance on average.
    P5 wins on pace with tourney appearances
    Average tourney seed of about 13.5
    Conference becomes a legit 2-bid league.
    Round of 64 win every 5-6 years or every 3-4 appearances.
    Round of 32 win every 10-15 years or every 2-3 appearances .
    Round of 16 win in my lifetime.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    I don't have any delusions of grandeur about becoming Gonzaga. My hopes / expectations for the men's basketball team are as follows.

100% D1 regular season schedule every year without exception.
    Head coaches salary towards the top of the league and comparable to football.
    Minimum 1 P5 home game played by each class.
    Each Sr. class makes 1.5 appearances in the dance on average.
    P5 wins on pace with tourney appearances
    Average tourney seed of about 13.5
    Conference becomes a legit 2-bid league.
    Round of 64 win every 5-6 years minimum.
    Round of 32 win every 10-15 years.
    Round of 16 win in my lifetime.
    I'd say that's a pretty good list although the tournament wins are pretty ambitions. I'd say a round of 64 win every 10 years and Sweet 16 appearance every 20 is about as much as you can ask for with a program at this level. I also don't see the Summit ever becoming a 2 bid league... it is light years away from that right now.