Page 338 of 368 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 3672

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

The issue I have had is that we've basically dealt with the transfer portal since before the transfer portal. It's been a revolving door since Dave took over. Basically it goes like this: Team starts out young. Team continues to get better through the year. Team is playing it's best ball at tournament time. Fans get excited about what the next year could be. Players leave in the off-season. Rinse. Repeat.

Dave looks good because he can point at his teams improving through the year and having a good record on the tournament. I'll be fair and not minimize that. What I would counter with is why is the team always young? Again, I will concede that answer may be a bit different now, with the transfer portal, than it was a few years ago. And, point two, the Summit continues to be a rather weak conference

If they are going to keep going with Dave then I think what needs to be a focus is bringing back more contributors (which is tougher with the TP), better OOC schedule, and trying to raise our profile so if we make the tournament it's as a 12/13/14 seed rather than a 15/16/play-in.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Before the season started. Would you have expected us to get the 3 seed in the summit tourney? Yes or no. Most would say no, or they would be thrilled with the 3 seed. Tons of 18 year olds on a roster. Do you not expect that would take time to gel?
    Fast forward to the SLT. Would you be happy with a first round win, then absolutely kicking the teeth in of our conference rival on their HOME court in front of a blue out of corporate seat bunnies? Ending their year and the careers of a couple of 25 year old 12th year seniors? Now we have a chance to play the ultimate spoiler against the biggest biatch of a head coach against maybe the best team in the history of our conference. I tell you what, some of you guys can keep bitching, I am going to continue to absolutely LOVE this team. Go get em kids! Zero stress tonight. We aren't supposed to be there. We aren't supposed to win. Boden won't let us lose. He is the leader. He is already in the head of Mills.

It is your choice. I will chose it being half full.
    Good post, I’m enjoying the hell out of this tournament so far!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    The issue I have had is that we've basically dealt with the transfer portal since before the transfer portal. It's been a revolving door since Dave took over. Basically it goes like this: Team starts out young. Team continues to get better through the year. Team is playing it's best ball at tournament time. Fans get excited about what the next year could be. Players leave in the off-season. Rinse. Repeat.

Dave looks good because he can point at his teams improving through the year and having a good record on the tournament. I'll be fair and not minimize that. What I would counter with is why is the team always young? Again, I will concede that answer may be a bit different now, with the transfer portal, than it was a few years ago. And, point two, the Summit continues to be a rather weak conference

If they are going to keep going with Dave then I think what needs to be a focus is bringing back more contributors (which is tougher with the TP), better OOC schedule, and trying to raise our profile so if we make the tournament it's as a 12/13/14 seed rather than a 15/16/play-in.

None of the guys that have left for the portal before showed to be a loss, both at their next program and at NDSU the following year. So imho that argument is irrelevant. we have gotten some really good players because of those players transferring out.

NDSU needs to move money over from the football program and put into the basketball program. Speaking of the Applebees analogy, the football program is trying to make Del Frisco steak, at Applebees.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post

The transfer issue is as much an issue with the Summit League level in general as it is with Richman IMO. That's why Richman teams continue to have the success they do in the Summit League despite the transfers - everyone in the league deals with it.

I get the push for wanting a coaching change. At this point we know Richman's ceiling - it might be better for him professionally as well to have a change a scenery but I think expectations need to be tempered that we're probably not going to have another Tim Miles level hire. I think chances are just as good the program regresses with a Richman replacement as they would of the program progressing all other things equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Before the season started. Would you have expected us to get the 3 seed in the summit tourney? Yes or no. Most would say no, or they would be thrilled with the 3 seed. Tons of 18 year olds on a roster. Do you not expect that would take time to gel?
    Fast forward to the SLT. Would you be happy with a first round win, then absolutely kicking the teeth in of our conference rival on their HOME court in front of a blue out of corporate seat bunnies? Ending their year and the careers of a couple of 25 year old 12th year seniors? Now we have a chance to play the ultimate spoiler against the biggest biatch of a head coach against maybe the best team in the history of our conference. I tell you what, some of you guys can keep bitching, I am going to continue to absolutely LOVE this team. Go get em kids! Zero stress tonight. We aren't supposed to be there. We aren't supposed to win. Boden won't let us lose. He is the leader. He is already in the head of Mills.

It is your choice. I will chose it being half full.
    Shot. Chaser.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Spot on Prof!

Dave is a competent Summit League coach. I think the issue is he has the personality of white rice, an attitude of self importance, his interviews are unspecific coach speak and some athletes don’t want to play for a guy like that.

But, all you higher ceiling guys, be careful what you wish for. I remember when many on BV thought the game had passed Amy Ruley by and we needed new leadership going into the DI era. With our budget and history, replacing our mens Basketball could send the program in the other direction.
    I think what you’re missing about us “higher ceiling guys” is it’s not like we are asking for wholesale program changes… we’re simply looking for a natural progression into what is literally capable in our current situation: a perennial SL powerhouse and an early round upset threat in the Dance. If ORU can do that, then so can we.

Instead you have what OMT has pointed out above. Please forgive us for wanting more.
    Last edited by heffray; 03-07-2023 at 07:42 PM.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I think what you’re missing about us “higher ceiling guys” is it’s not like we are asking for wholesale program changes… we’re simply looking for a natural progression into what is literally capable in our current situation: a perennial powerhouse and an early round upset threat in the Dance. If ORU can do that, then so can we.

Instead you have what OMT has pointed out above. Please forgive us for wanting more.
    Bingo!

The fact that NDSU mens basketball has had success for the past 15+ years is the reason there are fans pushing for the basketball program to take the next step. Would you rather us be completely apathic towards the basketball program and accept the status quo? No thank you, I have no desire to be a UND fan.

What Dave and crew have done from November to now is beyond admirable. Let's get after ORU tonight and build on it for next season!

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The last 5 minutes last night were terrible basketball. And not because of the teams or players on the court. Perverse incentives in the rules to hold the ball and take bad shots late in the clock and of course fouling from behind. They need to fix it it’s gross.
    Elam Ending instead?
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post
    Welcome to the board! But I think you're missing the point.

You mention that NDSU played Duke a few years back as a 16 seed vs the #1 overall seed. Is that NDSU basketball's high point of success for you? It was fun, but I certainly don't. The high point or "goal" of any mid major program should be to be in the best position to actually WIN a game in the NCAA tournament. The people who are critical at times want to see NDSU get back to beating Oklahoma in the 2014 NCAA tournament, or make a NCAA Tournament run like ORU did in 2021. In order to do that, a team would need to build a resume to get a higher seed than just a 16 seed... Yes that would actually include games in regular season.

If your peak expectations are for NDSU to just be a 16 seed any time they win all 3 game in Sioux Falls and make the Dance, then the regular season does indeed not matter to you. And that is fine if you feel that way. My issue when people say that the regular season games don't matter... then why should fans watch or even show up to games? ALL games of the season matter, not just 3 games in Sioux Falls.

Anyways, I hope like heck NDSU stuns ORU tonight! Go Bison!
    Yes, you do make a good point and hopefully we can get back to the point of winning a couple of games in the tournament. Going undefeated in the Summit League before winning the actual Summit League tournament may get us a higher than 16 seed in the tournament. The point of my post is that it seems odd that we have a thread on our chat boards that talks about our coach running this program into the ground? Seems odd when he continues to bring teams to the tournament year in and year out while dealing with the transfer portal and still finds a way to win in March. Taking this team full of underclassmen to the championship game would only prove my point that David Richman has done a helluva job in 2022/23.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Elam Ending instead?
    That would get my vote.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie