Page 336 of 365 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 3646

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Default Re: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post

- Second point: Why does NDSU basketball under coach Richman have to wait until Sioux Falls to figure out how to play the game of basketball every season??

I seem to recall some pretty big OOC wins for the 2007 squad before they gave the defending champs a pretty good run in the first round…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Two things can be true at the same time: We can be happy about kicking the **** out of SDSU last night in Sioux Falls and advancing to the Summit Championship for the 5th straight year, and we can also step back and recognize that there is still room to grow as a program in the big picture of things.

- First things first: DWT, Tajavis, Morgan, & Jacari have grown tremendously since November. I honestly didn't recognize them last night. Very impressed on how they have grown in 5 months. Grant is and always has been a beast, so I'm not at all surprised he set the Summit League Tournament record for rebounds in a game last night. Skunberg has really settled in to being the #2 option in this program. This team has come a LONG way since the start of this season and kudos should go to all the players and coaches, INCLUDING Richman...

- Second point: Why does NDSU basketball under coach Richman have to wait until Sioux Falls to figure out how to play the game of basketball every season?? Every media person last night was touting Richman's 18-5 Summit Tournament record as amazing, which I agree that it is. But why can't Richman ever translate that into success in the regular season?? Every single year he ramps up the team for Sioux Falls, does really well in the Tournament, and NDSU fans are happy. But then the following season comes around and NDSU looks like they've never played basketball before for the first 2-3 months of the following season. EVEN when NDSU returns its entire roster (I get that this year's team was almost all new players, but what was the 2021-2022 team's excuse?). The critics on here, myself included, have been striving for NDSU basketball to build on the success it has had in the past 12-13 years. The problem is, you really can't build upon previous success when you have to start over every single season and "Re-learn" how to basketball again by the following March. That to me is the cause of some of the frustration as it happens EVERY year... It's just happened for so long that people here have turned to more vitriol than just frustration.

For those of you that are going to say "The only 3 games that matter are in Sioux Falls".. spare me. Every NDSU fan wants to win the Summit League Tournament every season. Duh! But there is more to building on a program's success than just 3 days in Sioux Falls. That is the challenge for Richman, build upon this last month's success with young team going forward into next season.
    The excuse I'll continue to make is it's hard to do much in the OOC part of your schedule when most of your games, and pretty much all your games against quality opponents, are on the road. In 2021/22 they were 9-4 OOC and that was without a PG for a majority of it due to Griesel's injury (emergency appendectomy I believe early in the season). It's not like they've turned into some juggernaut in Sioux Falls this year - they beat two teams who they already beat earlier in the season and without some good fortune and a couple great plays they would've been out Sunday night.

It's hard to maintain continuity in the Summit League since it's essentially a feeder league in this day and age of transfers. That won't change until the league as a whole, not just NDSU, decides to invest more into their MBB programs. Even if they can't get Grant Nelson to stick around if they keep everyone else they could have a really good team next year with the young guards continuing to progress and Skunberg and Morgan being the leaders. I won't hold my breath on that.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I seem to recall some pretty big OOC wins for the 2007 squad before they gave the defending champs a pretty good run in the first round…
    The 08/09 team had no notable wins out of conference. They had a couple close games against USC and Stephen F Austin (who was a tournament team that year I beleive) but they had a very nondescript OOC part of the schedule that year: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...49/season/2009

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Two things can be true at the same time: We can be happy about kicking the **** out of SDSU last night in Sioux Falls and advancing to the Summit Championship for the 5th straight year, and we can also step back and recognize that there is still room to grow as a program in the big picture of things.

- First things first: DWT, Tajavis, Morgan, & Jacari have grown tremendously since November. I honestly didn't recognize them last night. Very impressed on how they have grown in 5 months. Grant is and always has been a beast, so I'm not at all surprised he set the Summit League Tournament record for rebounds in a game last night. Skunberg has really settled in to being the #2 option in this program. This team has come a LONG way since the start of this season and kudos should go to all the players and coaches, INCLUDING Richman...

- Second point: Why does NDSU basketball under coach Richman have to wait until Sioux Falls to figure out how to play the game of basketball every season?? Every media person last night was touting Richman's 18-5 Summit Tournament record as amazing, which I agree that it is. But why can't Richman ever translate that into success in the regular season?? Every single year he ramps up the team for Sioux Falls, does really well in the Tournament, and NDSU fans are happy. But then the following season comes around and NDSU looks like they've never played basketball before for the first 2-3 months of the following season. EVEN when NDSU returns its entire roster (I get that this year's team was almost all new players, but what was the 2021-2022 team's excuse?). The critics on here, myself included, have been striving for NDSU basketball to build on the success it has had in the past 12-13 years. The problem is, you really can't build upon previous success when you have to start over every single season and "Re-learn" how to basketball again by the following March. That to me is the cause of some of the frustration as it happens EVERY year... It's just happened for so long that people here have turned to more vitriol than just frustration.

For those of you that are going to say "The only 3 games that matter are in Sioux Falls".. spare me. Every NDSU fan wants to win the Summit League Tournament every season. Duh! But there is more to building on a program's success than just 3 days in Sioux Falls. That is the challenge for Richman, build upon this last month's success with young team going forward into next season.
    100% This. The side effect of this is that fan excitement never really builds either. If Grant stays this team should be coming out of the gates next season with some legitimate steam and needs to make some noise early. If you do that with an NBA prospect on the roster and some young, developing talent I think the fans would start to show up early and the excitement could build. However, if they come out and have to find themselves again than all momentum from the finish to this season is basically lost from a fanbase building perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    100% This. The side effect of this is that fan excitement never really builds either. If Grant stays this team should be coming out of the gates next season with some legitimate steam and needs to make some noise early. If you do that with an NBA prospect on the roster and some young, developing talent I think the fans would start to show up early and the excitement could build. However, if they come out and have to find themselves again than all momentum from the finish to this season is basically lost from a fanbase building perspective.
    I think if they actually play some recognizable opponents at home OOC they'll get people to come out no matter what.

I don't comment much on this site but I do sit back and watch the comments that are made in regards to NDSU, NDSU Basketball and in this thread...David Richman. To say it is laughable is not even the case anymore.

A comment above, "Why does NDSU basketball under coach Richman have to wait until Sioux Falls to figure out how to play basketball every season??" Are you kidding me? We just finished 3rd in the Summit League going into the tournament with a team full of under classmen. We can talk about transfer portal BS in a different thread. Coach Richman has taken this team full of kids, figured out a way to make them play together as a team and come together in time for tournament basketball in March and roll through USD and South Dakota State in Sioux Falls in front of a crowd that is 80% South Dakota fans. Here we are yet again playing for another Summit League Championship against the top team in our league against a head coach who is fiery and mouthy and couldn't be more fun to play against. Us Bison Fans get to sit back and enjoy yet another Championship game watching our beloved Bison play on ESPN in front of a national audience yet again...but you are pissed because our regular season wasn't quite good enough. This is Division 1 athletics. The fact that we are able to hold our programs to this high of a standard is unbelievable. The fact that this thread still exists on "Bisonville" makes me want to puke. Coach Richman has done nothing but commit that last 20+ years to this program and recruit his ass off for Tim Miles, Saul Phillips and now himself and continue to get us to Summit League Championship games and in the Big Dance. My memory is a little hazy but didn't we play Duke and some guy named Zion Williams not long ago? DUKE...NDSU...remember that? Does that mean we should be happy with that and not continue to strive to get better...looks like to me that we have done quite the opposite. Listen to SDSU's press conference last night and even Henderson had to give Richman credit on how he coaches and what he learned from him while at NDSU.

Yeah...let's keep this Richman thread rolling...I'll go back to reading the comments...thanks for your time.

Before the season started. Would you have expected us to get the 3 seed in the summit tourney? Yes or no. Most would say no, or they would be thrilled with the 3 seed. Tons of 18 year olds on a roster. Do you not expect that would take time to gel?
    Fast forward to the SLT. Would you be happy with a first round win, then absolutely kicking the teeth in of our conference rival on their HOME court in front of a blue out of corporate seat bunnies? Ending their year and the careers of a couple of 25 year old 12th year seniors? Now we have a chance to play the ultimate spoiler against the biggest biatch of a head coach against maybe the best team in the history of our conference. I tell you what, some of you guys can keep bitching, I am going to continue to absolutely LOVE this team. Go get em kids! Zero stress tonight. We aren't supposed to be there. We aren't supposed to win. Boden won't let us lose. He is the leader. He is already in the head of Mills.

It is your choice. I will chose it being half full.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

The 08/09 team had no notable wins out of conference. They had a couple close games against USC and Stephen F Austin (who was a tournament team that year I beleive) but they had a very nondescript OOC part of the schedule that year: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...49/season/2009
    Ah yeah - I’m getting those 2 years combined in my head, but they are basically the same players/team so im gonna give myself a pass. As always thank you for the gentle correction, Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think if they actually play some recognizable opponents at home OOC they'll get people to come out no matter what.
    Would be pretty cool if they actually competed in those games and squeaked out a win or 2…
    Last edited by heffray; 03-07-2023 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Before the season started. Would you have expected us to get the 3 seed in the summit tourney? Yes or no. Most would say no, or they would be thrilled with the 3 seed. Tons of 18 year olds on a roster. Do you not expect that would take time to gel?
    Fast forward to the SLT. Would you be happy with a first round win, then absolutely kicking the teeth in of our conference rival on their HOME court in front of a blue out of corporate seat bunnies? Ending their year and the careers of a couple of 25 year old 12th year seniors? Now we have a chance to play the ultimate spoiler against the biggest biatch of a head coach against maybe the best team in the history of our conference. I tell you what, some of you guys can keep bitching, I am going to continue to absolutely LOVE this team. Go get em kids! Zero stress tonight. We aren't supposed to be there. We aren't supposed to win. Boden won't let us lose. He is the leader. He is already in the head of Mills.

It is your choice. I will chose it being half full.
    Hell yeah! Lets goooo
    College of Business Alumnus

Skunberg is also trying to bring back the bowl cut so you know he’s got guts.