Page 182 of 365 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 3646

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Default Re: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post
    Where Richman lost me, and I know many others, is the repeated times he would say in interviews that none of the regular season games matter. Yes I know NDSU is in a low major conference and needs to win the 3 games in March to get into the tournament. But for the head coach, leader of the program, to tell everyone that essentially he doesn't care if we win or lose games from November through February... That sends an alarming message. Why should fans, students, or heck even his players care either? It's an exhibition to him until March. I still can't get over that with Richman, and I probably never will.

Yes, he has done fairly well in Sioux Falls in March. Everyone has to give him props for that. BUT since the regular season doesn't matter to him, NDSU's ceiling will always be a 15 or 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. NDSU will never win another NCAA tournament game under Richman, except for 16 seed play-in games like a couple years ago. Why did we beat Oklahoma and have a chance at playing in the Sweet 16 in 2014? Because we had some good regular season wins, and were in the top 100 for RPI/KenPom/Net Rankings. That got NDSU a 12 seed and an actually chance at a tournament win or two. That will never happen under Richman IMO, and I think that leads to a lot of the angst among Bison fans.

And the football thing is BS. It's apples to oranges, you can't compare the two at all. But you can still strive to get back to being a top 100 D1 basketball program, like we were in 2014. That takes wins and being competitive November through February, not just in March.
    I might chalk that up to coach speak as an excuse for a team that requires development throughout the regular season. This young group is the first time I've felt that next year they should hit the ground running. Only position that doesn't have a lock solid option going into next year is a true create off the dribble PG unfortunately. Now if he really meant it or if it's a good idea to use that kind of coach speak is an entirely valid issue to debate.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Where Richman lost me, and I know many others, is the repeated times he would say in interviews that none of the regular season games matter. Yes I know NDSU is in a low major conference and needs to win the 3 games in March to get into the tournament. But for the head coach, leader of the program, to tell everyone that essentially he doesn't care if we win or lose games from November through February... That sends an alarming message. Why should fans, students, or heck even his players care either? It's an exhibition to him until March. I still can't get over that with Richman, and I probably never will.

Yes, he has done fairly well in Sioux Falls in March. Everyone has to give him props for that. BUT since the regular season doesn't matter to him, NDSU's ceiling will always be a 15 or 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. NDSU will never win another NCAA tournament game under Richman, except for 16 seed play-in games like a couple years ago. Why did we beat Oklahoma and have a chance at playing in the Sweet 16 in 2014? Because we had some good regular season wins, and were in the top 100 for RPI/KenPom/Net Rankings. That got NDSU a 12 seed and an actually chance at a tournament win or two. That will never happen under Richman IMO, and I think that leads to a lot of the angst among Bison fans.

And the football thing is BS. It's apples to oranges, you can't compare the two at all. But you can still strive to get back to being a top 100 D1 basketball program, like we were in 2014. That takes wins and being competitive November through February, not just in March.
    This thinking is horribly mislead, I'm as frustrated as any body else that we don't win some of our bigger regular season games but everybody on here acts like Dave comes out and says we aren't even trying to win. They go in with a game plan, they execute it the best they can and they give it their all to win every game, if you don't think they want to and aren't trying to win then you obviously aren't watching. The fact is, barring an incredible season, winning our conference tournament is the way into the dance so the goal all season long has to be aimed at playing our best basketball in March, pretty sure every college coach on the planet will tell you that. Could he word it better, yes, could we put more of an emphasis on big out of conference games, yes, but Dave and the team are trying to win every game. No college athlete, coach, trainer or anybody else involved with a team is going into a game not wanting to come out with a victory. So the fact that you don't support the guy because come Monday when they are disappointed they didn't get the win he says in an interview that hey, we didn't get the W but we learned some things and are still focused on our ultimate goal of winning the tournament in March is ridiculous. What would you rather he say? Can't believe we lost that one, might as well hang up the season because we lost last week in a game that might move us a seed line IF we make the tournament?

There's a ton of things that bother me about Dave including not playing Knotek, not focusing on getting the ball in the post to take advantage of mismatches and not being able to adjust on the fly when teams throw a new wrinkle at us. But to twist his words into saying winning/losing doesn't matter is ridiculous.

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I might chalk that up to coach speak as an excuse for a team that requires development throughout the regular season. This young group is the first time I've felt that next year they should hit the ground running. Only position that doesn't have a lock solid option going into next year is a true create off the dribble PG unfortunately. Now if he really meant it or if it's a good idea to use that kind of coach speak is an entirely valid issue to debate.
    This has been every year since he took over as the head coach. Dave loves his coach speak, and I get that. But to use coach speak relating to games not mattering at all until March is just horrible optics.

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    This thinking is horribly mislead, I'm as frustrated as any body else that we don't win some of our bigger regular season games but everybody on here acts like Dave comes out and says we aren't even trying to win. They go in with a game plan, they execute it the best they can and they give it their all to win every game, if you don't think they want to and aren't trying to win then you obviously aren't watching. The fact is, barring an incredible season, winning our conference tournament is the way into the dance so the goal all season long has to be aimed at playing our best basketball in March, pretty sure every college coach on the planet will tell you that. Could he word it better, yes, could we put more of an emphasis on big out of conference games, yes, but Dave and the team are trying to win every game. No college athlete, coach, trainer or anybody else involved with a team is going into a game not wanting to come out with a victory. So the fact that you don't support the guy because come Monday when they are disappointed they didn't get the win he says in an interview that hey, we didn't get the W but we learned some things and are still focused on our ultimate goal of winning the tournament in March is ridiculous. What would you rather he say? Can't believe we lost that one, might as well hang up the season because we lost last week in a game that might move us a seed line IF we make the tournament?

There's a ton of things that bother me about Dave including not playing Knotek, not focusing on getting the ball in the post to take advantage of mismatches and not being able to adjust on the fly when teams throw a new wrinkle at us. But to twist his words into saying winning/losing doesn't matter is ridiculous.
    Saying that he essentially doesn't care November through February was an over exaggeration to make a point. Obviously every team tries to win every game. I could've worded that better myself, but the point of saying things like that every year just sends the wrong message. I hated when coaches that I've had in the past would say similar things. Even if that's just coach speak, it's a terrible message to send IMO.

Saying that he essentially doesn't care November through February was an over exaggeration to make a point. Obviously every team tries to win every game. I could've worded that better myself, but the point of saying things like that every year just sends the wrong message. I hated when coaches that I've had in the past would say similar things. Even if that's just coach speak, it's a terrible message to send IMO.
    You can read into that what you want to read into it. You could also read into it that he's saying he'd like to be playing at their best in March rather than emptying the tank in November/December and peaking too early.

I'd probably be classified as a Richman apologist when it comes to this thread but I have my beefs with him as well. Nothing to do with his personality or his coach speak but I don't think he's developed players, especially big men, very well. It seems like players improve slightly as they reach upper classes but you don't see that Dexter Werner or Lawrence Alexander type leap in anyone in recent memory. I also think he was too bullheaded when the program took a dip from 2017 to 2018 by not adapting to his players and forcing his players to adapt to him. I think/hope he's learned from that and become a better coach because of it.

In general though, as I've said a bunch of times on this thread/board, I think he's done a good job with what he has to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    You can read into that what you want to read into it. You could also read into it that he's saying he'd like to be playing at their best in March rather than emptying the tank in November/December and peaking too early.

I'd probably be classified as a Richman apologist when it comes to this thread but I have my beefs with him as well. Nothing to do with his personality or his coach speak but I don't think he's developed players, especially big men, very well. It seems like players improve slightly as they reach upper classes but you don't see that Dexter Werner or Lawrence Alexander type leap in anyone in recent memory. I also think he was too bullheaded when the program took a dip from 2017 to 2018 by not adapting to his players and forcing his players to adapt to him. I think/hope he's learned from that and become a better coach because of it.

In general though, as I've said a bunch of times on this thread/board, I think he's done a good job with what he has to work with.
    AJ and Paul Miller years were rough times for the players and coaches to find agreement on program culture. Since then I don't know if it's the players or Richman but regardless of if they are winning or losing the team seems more together.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    AJ and Paul Miller years were rough times for the players and coaches to find agreement on program culture. Since then I don't know if it's the players or Richman but regardless of if they are winning or losing the team seems more together.
    I have no inside knowledge here so this is just a gut feeling but I think Vinnie Shahid was the best thing to happen to this program in that regard. He seemed to come in and immediately command the respect of his teammates which pulled a disjointed team together. In turn I think Richman realized that he needed to give his players more trust and responsibility (aka loosen the reins) and good things will happen even if it's not always happening the "Richman way".

Again I'm really reading between the lines and making a lot of guesses here but that's just the impression I got as a fan.

Yeah it was the yearly “like I like to say the games that matter are the ones in March” to excuse/divert attention away from dropping games to 300+ ranked teams that really put a horrible taste in my mouth. That and being able to expect about a starter each year to leave the program prematurely.

I just don’t understand what he’s trying to imply. Either he’s saying that these conference games don’t matter at all until the tournament. Or he’s saying that in order for us to be playing our best basketball in March we shouldn’t be worried about how our team is playing now. I don’t buy either argument. It’s not like we need to be unrefined now in order to be better later.

For whatever it’s worth I think the message got to Dave, because I don’t think I’ve heard him say it the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I have no inside knowledge here so this is just a gut feeling but I think Vinnie Shahid was the best thing to happen to this program in that regard. He seemed to come in and immediately command the respect of his teammates which pulled a disjointed team together. In turn I think Richman realized that he needed to give his players more trust and responsibility (aka loosen the reins) and good things will happen even if it's not always happening the "Richman way".

Again I'm really reading between the lines and making a lot of guesses here but that's just the impression I got as a fan.
    It definitely felt like a breathe of fresh air into the program. One reason I miss Vinnie so much. This year's team seems to have kept that same energy going without him though.

I'm totally a Vinnie stan.

This team would have at minimum five more wins if Vinnie was here, pg play is really limiting this team's potential. I have my beefs with Dave, for the longest time I felt like his system would never result in any major wins or accomplishments but last year did change that. He also has some odd rotations, like with Knotek and Gue. That said, he is a great coach come tournament time, has a system that is consistently good.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.