Page 8 of 367 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Has Richman Run this Program Into the Ground??

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    I think one of the main problems is we have not recruited good enough players and I am not sure if we have recruited the right players from my view.

When I hear Richman talk about the team I hear development, defense, toughness. There in fact lies the problem. We haven't really recruited toughness and rebounding! I grow tired of hearing about pack lines defense, but one of the staples of pack lines defense is to try to get teams to take outside shoots (lower percentage shots) by stuffing the lane with bodies, have them miss outside shots and then grab the rebounds when miss....except we have don't have the team that can rebound. When teams miss their shoots this year they grab their own misses and put them in for baskets. That is making sound simple, but it is amazing how much a team gets demoralized if it can't grab a defensive rebound when it needs one. Forget ever beating P5 team with our current roster makeup.

We used to a program that would redshirt most players but we really dont do that much anymore. All these guys would be much better in the 5th year than the 1st year. One of our major advantages is we had guys playing who were experienced 5th year guys playing against 1st years players too. Look at the experience of our current team and it is a recipe for sub-.500 basketball.

Look at our starting line up.
    Vinnie - Transfer - first year player - Junior (no redshirt)
    Samuelson - Walk-on - Junior (no redshirt)
    Griesel - True Freshman (no redshirt)
    Ward - Junior (no redshirt)
    Kruiser - Sophomore (no redshirt)
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying. When we had our first NCAA tourney team that was a group of 23 year olds going up against a bunch of 18-19 year olds. So we had talent as that group was very talented but they had also plenty of experience and smarts that put them in great situations. Also especially when Andre was a part of that group that group was TOUGH. The problem with today's NCAA basketball is that all HS basketball kids are making decisions on where to go based on playing time and playing RIGHT NOW. NDSU is no different. Why go somewhere when they want you to sit out an entire year even though they've played ball their entire lives when I can go somewhere else and play right away? So NDSU has to be a part of this new system where very few players are going to redshirt outside of injury situations.

Defense and rebounding I think has more to do with who we are recruiting. Watching the Gonzaga game we were flat out too small to compete with them. They had height and length on us every time that I paid attention to it at every position on the floor. That's starting to be a trend at NDSU for quite a while now. I get that if you are taller than 6'7" (especially if you are physically developed too) you are probably getting a Major scholarship and we have to go find the ones the P5 don't want. There's not too many left at that point, but I've always thought AJ was out of position. I thought he should have been a 3 with Paul Miller either as a 1 or 2 and then have someone that's taller playing the 4. AJ did the best he could considering he was normally shorter than the player he went up against on defense. Now I preach to my basketball teams that rebounding is more heart (and that might be more of the problem) than height. Height helps but it's how bad do you want that rebound. I don't like that I'm personally starting to question the heart of the team more than the ability.

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

[QUOTE=BISONFAN4LIFE;1313705]
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    This team will be 2-10

You'd think that would be enough.

But mr stony brook is so small time, he won't even call a FBS conference commissioner. Let alone fire a coach

The first time I agree with you Chapo. I was crucifed last year by saying he should be shitcanned. Send Larson packing also.
    Larson seems to be on cruise control at times. My view may be a little skewed since Gene Taylor was so proactive with everthing.
    The fella that watches the CFL

[QUOTE=devin45k;1313720]
    Quote Originally Posted by BISONFAN4LIFE View Post

Larson seems to be on cruise control at times. My view may be a little skewed since Gene Taylor was so proactive with everthing.
    a lot of things on this thread are true, some are maybe arguable, but this is just dumb. Just an awful post. Sorry if that is rude.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

I doubt GT would have done anything differently in this case.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Publicly Larson has not had to make major hires yet. We will find out how good the guy is in the next 12 to17 months. Mens Bball, Womens Bball and probably Football (I hope not but well I doubt my hope will be true) all will have new people at the helms at the end of that time frame. It is going to be interesting to see what everything looks like in a year and half.

Has anyone checked the popcorn futures lately???????

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Publicly Larson has not had to make major hires yet. We will find out how good the guy is in the next 12 to17 months. Mens Bball, Womens Bball and probably Football (I hope not but well I doubt my hope will be true) all will have new people at the helms at the end of that time frame. It is going to be interesting to see what everything looks like in a year and half.

Totally agree. AD's are judged on their hires, but to say ML is on cruise control or has done anything poor to this point to be honest would be either totally wrong or at least arguable. Think about that game at Target Field for football. FBS teams will NOT play us. So he gets us that game. Maybe it is just trendy to be super grumpy right now, but people need to realize how damn lucky we are. Guy is aggressive and competitive. That will show when the time is right on hiring. It is hard to replace guys like Saul and Gene as they are SO open and funny. Doesn't mean Matt isn't doing one hell of a job, in fact Gene will tell you that.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post

A lot of discussion about what will happen after Dave Richman. I've speculated on that front as well. But there at least seems to be a general consensus on this thread that Richman is gone after this season. Among his supporters, is this pretty much universally accepted? Does anyone want to step into the conversation and suggest that we need to wait and see how we do in the Summit League tournament, because that's when it really matters? (or some such crap).
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    A lot of discussion about what will happen after Dave Richman. I've speculated on that front as well. But there at least seems to be a general consensus on this thread that Richman is gone after this season. Among his supporters, is this pretty much universally accepted? Does anyone want to step into the conversation and suggest that we need to wait and see how we do in the Summit League tournament, because that's when it really matters? (or some such crap).
    He has his supporters but they only come out of the woodwork after a mediocre win, so you'll have to wait until then.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Only a general consensus from those that have voiced that opinion. I'm not in that group and have not posted on this topic either way. For now the coach is coach and they're only 6 games into a season with a transformed roster so yes, I'll wait until season's end to make my determination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Totally agree. AD's are judged on their hires, but to say ML is on cruise control or has done anything poor to this point to be honest would be either totally wrong or at least arguable. Think about that game at Target Field for football. FBS teams will NOT play us. So he gets us that game. Maybe it is just trendy to be super grumpy right now, but people need to realize how damn lucky we are. Guy is aggressive and competitive. That will show when the time is right on hiring. It is hard to replace guys like Saul and Gene as they are SO open and funny. Doesn't mean Matt isn't doing one hell of a job, in fact Gene will tell you that.
    ML has retained Coach K and Mueller as well as kept who he can for T&F. Can't remember if Kish was before his hire or not. Regardless, he's done what he can as far as hires go. Lopez will get the time she deserves to turn the volleyball team around. They are super young. Golf has made big strides team-wise. He hired a new soccer coach that appears from the distance I keep from the sport, a solid hire. Not much more he can do on those fronts. What I think he was really hired for was for his fundraising abilities. Which I believe he's done a wonderful job of.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.