Page 119 of 365 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 3646

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Has Richman Run this Program Into the Ground??

Why does the football program have such high expectations for season outcomes but not so much on the MBB squad? Or I guess a better way to ask is why does the coach of the MBB team get let off the hook so easily? Now I’m not saying we should be gunning for a final 4 but we (in my mind) should be able to get to 2 wins in the NCAA tournament or at least get the reputation of say UNI in basketball. Am I asking too much or out of touch on how hard it is? Obviously not easy but we shouldn’t be losing to Utah Valley or Stony Brook. Hell even throw Indiana St in that group.

The more I drink the worse my attitude gets and maybe clouds my judgement/realistic expectations.
    Last edited by 23Bison; 12-07-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Why does the football program have such high expectations for season outcomes but not so much on the MBB squad? Or I guess a better way to ask is why does the coach of the MBB team get let off the hook so easily? Now I’m not saying we should be gunning for a final 4 but we (in my mind) should be able to get to get 2 wins in the NCAA tournament or at least get the reputation of say UNI in basketball. Am I asking too much or out of touch on how hard it is? Obviously not easy but we shouldn’t be losing to Utah Valley or Stony Brook. Hell even throw Indiana St in that group.

The more I drink the worse my attitude gets and maybe clouds my judgement/realistic expectations.
    Funding is the main reason. NDSU funds football near the top of the FCS and basketball is funded in the middle of the Summit League (which is a low major conference). Like or not we're a football school and it shows from the fan support to the athletic department budget. You can say the MBB needs to win at a high level consistently before it should be funded that way but it doesn't work like that and it didn't for football either. NDSU football became a powerhouse in the 60s because a few big shots got together and decided to pump some money into the program and they found the perfect coach in Darrell Mudra.

And I don't see how MBB is let off the hook. If anything I think our fans have unrealistic expectations for the MBB program because we're used to the success of the football program. Many of you won't like to hear this but NDSU MBB has been pretty darn good over the last 10 years compared to the investment put into it. There are lots of mid-major schools that put more into it and get less out.

Again, I'm not saying this is a reason Richman should be let off the hook for the team's underperformance this year but if the program decides to go in a different direction after this year or next year I hope the pocket books are opened up for the new hire. If not, we can probably expect more of the same as what happened under Richman unless we can get lucky and find a coach on the upswing for a few years like Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Had a conversation with a buddy the other day who had talked to a former player. The player said that Richman was responsible for the success the Bison had while he was an assistant. For some reason he now isnt doing what made him successful. He can see what he is doing but has no clue as to why he is doing what hes doing. What Richmond is doing or attempting to do makes no sense to him.

Just thought I would pass this along.
    thanks 4 sharing PL.----------it is weird, i think he was given most of the credit in developing big luke moorman, andre (who developed himself, basically), and marshall the swedish meatball bjorklund---------i do remember watching that gonzaga game in the tourney that 1st year and thinking wow with this new style we could have a chance against any1 but, as the seasons have gone on, its just turned into a total train wreck------------its the basketball version of "chuck the pigskin" and his comments according to todays paper arnt encourgaing at all

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Funding is the main reason. NDSU funds football near the top of the FCS and basketball is funded in the middle of the Summit League (which is a low major conference). Like or not we're a football school and it shows from the fan support to the athletic department budget. You can say the MBB needs to win at a high level consistently before it should be funded that way but it doesn't work like that and it didn't for football either. NDSU football became a powerhouse in the 60s because a few big shots got together and decided to pump some money into the program and they found the perfect coach in Darrell Mudra.

And I don't see how MBB is let off the hook. If anything I think our fans have unrealistic expectations for the MBB program because we're used to the success of the football program. Many of you won't like to hear this but NDSU MBB has been pretty darn good over the last 10 years compared to the investment put into it. There are lots of mid-major schools that put more into it and get less out.

Again, I'm not saying this is a reason Richman should be let off the hook for the team's underperformance this year but if the program decides to go in a different direction after this year or next year I hope the pocket books are opened up for the new hire. If not, we can probably expect more of the same as what happened under Richman unless we can get lucky and find a coach on the upswing for a few years like Miles.
    I do agree that maybe our (the fans) expectations are unrealistic but the administration should also have high expectations. I guess it’s hard to do anything when your coach, who may have underperformed this season, may still manage to get to 20 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic View Post
    thanks 4 sharing PL.----------it is weird, i think he was given most of the credit in developing big luke moorman, andre (who developed himself, basically), and marshall the swedish meatball bjorklund---------i do remember watching that gonzaga game in the tourney that 1st year and thinking wow with this new style we could have a chance against any1 but, as the seasons have gone on, its just turned into a total train wreck------------its the basketball version of "chuck the pigskin" and his comments according to todays paper arnt encourgaing at all
    What comments in the paper are you referring to? Link?
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    What comments in the paper are you referring to? Link?
    https://www.inforum.com/sports/baske...-major-program

So his big picture way to win is the 3 ball? Let’s not have any set plays or anything I guess. Just chuck the 3 ball and we’ve got this men!

Thanks. My prediction is we get run out of the gym tonight and nothing is different from previous games.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    So his big picture way to win is the 3 ball? Let’s not have any set plays or anything I guess. Just chuck the 3 ball and we’ve got this men!
    His comments come across like we just need to keep chucking 3's come hell or high water. No need to get to the rim or the free throw line, or good forbid, we change up the starting lineup or rotation. News flash: the usual starting lineup isn't working.

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We got the win lasr night which was great, BUT watching the two coaching style was interesting. Their coach had a whiteboard the first half and kept writing down names of schemes. Then their team switched up their offense. Our coach well.... crossed his arms. If there is a way to watch this game the most animated Richman gets is yelling at the team, with 16 seconds left, to hustle down for a free throw.
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns