Page 87 of 365 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Default Re: Has Richman Run this Program Into the Ground??

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I'd dispute the grade. I'm not talking about a D or F. I'm thinking a C. Maybe even C+. I just want more for NDSU. But I appreciate your approach of not getting too high or low on the coach. I should probably not get so invested one way or the other. They need bring back those old beer commercials with the slogan "smooth over everything." Essentially, the message was to chillax. I need to keep that kind of perspective.
    I would give him a C- or C. He can bring in players, with the exception of a player to establish a post presence. The problem is he hasn't been able to lead mismatched personalities which was shown last season. For the majority of his time here he has been insistent of running his system regardless of whether his roster is built for it or not, and has been outcoached almost every game because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver View Post
    You sure don't seem happy, complaining all of the time about coach and the men's basketball program. You say you are happy for them but your negative posts continue. Did you read what the poster said? Those comments are not delusional, they are facts. There is a lot more to a basketball program than just the narrow negative focus that you have. Coach Richman and his teams have had an outstanding record both on the court and off the court in the classroom and community. Yes, there should be more credit given to coach for the adjustments he did make at the end of the season, that's a sign of a good coach. It was and is a great season, because the Bison are in the National Tournament.
    The "dilusiuonal" response was to one particular part of the post. It is a sports discussion board. Without debate, it has nothing we can't get from reading stats reports. Even so, I really am happy for the team. And I'm happy for the coach and his family. I am. I want good things to happen to good people. You probably have a legit point about negativity. I'll stop commenting and just read for a while.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Most mid major programs are up and down. Richman has an overall record of 95-66. That is not good enough for you?
    What's wrong with wanting more than being one of those 'most mid major programs'. I want NDSU to be consistently good. I know that's easier said than done but I do know that it won't get done without demanding results.

Congrats on the championship. This win and Richman's situation remind me a lot of Jones at UND. People wanted him gone, and he was coaching in the last year of his contract (almost unheard of), before making it to the dance. He then got an extension and saved his job. I still wanted Jones fired regardless, but mid/low major schools aren't going to fire a coach that makes it to the NCAA tournament.

id still shit-can richman if we could get saul back-------after the "big dance" of course lmfao

The point has been made in a few different ways already but getting to the dance even 3 out of every 5 years means shit when you go in as a 15-16 seed every time. No thanks. I want to be able to at least once in a while get into the tourney as a 12/13 and have a legit chance of getting that elusive mid major win over a high major. That to me should be at least part of the watermark of a good mid major coach.

I don't want to always feel like we are going to 100% get blown out by 30 but be "happy we're dancing".

Most mid major programs are up and down. Richman has an overall record of 95-66. That is not good enough for you?
    This is what I don't understand. That is a winning percentage of .590 and if Bison football had that record after 5 years posters would be going berserk. But then again I am just a football fan that knows nothing about basketball.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    This is what I don't understand. That is a winning percentage of .590 and if Bison football had that record after 5 years posters would be going berserk. But then again I am just a football fan that knows nothing about basketball.
    If the university and fan base supported men's basketball at the level they/we support football I'd be going berserk if the men's basketball program only had a .590 winning percentage too. It's the chicken and egg syndrome. Bison football was also pretty average until the mid 60s when some boosters with loaded pockets decided to start investing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    If the university and fan base supported men's basketball at the level they/we support football I'd be going berserk if the men's basketball program only had a .590 winning percentage too. It's the chicken and egg syndrome. Bison football was also pretty average until the mid 60s when some boosters with loaded pockets decided to start investing in it.
    I understand the chicken and egg syndrome. Isn't part of that solved by winning?. There are a lot more fans in the FargoDome than there were in 2003.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I understand the chicken and egg syndrome. Isn't part of that solved by winning?. There are a lot more fans in the FargoDome than there were in 2003.
    Part of it yes but the point is you can't expect NDSU to be a consistently elite mid-major when the investment isn't there at an elite mid-major level from the athletic department or boosters. Case in point, TJ Otzelberger at SDSU is making nearly double what Richman was on his on-hire contract (he's since signed an extension that might have Richman doubled up by now).