Page 74 of 365 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Default Re: Has Richman Run this Program Into the Ground??

I love listening to NDSU football fans try and talk basketball. There are 2 extremes here.

1) The posters that think theres nothing wrong with the current state of the program, which is absurd.
    2) The posters who think the program is a dumpsterfire and at an all time low, which is absurd.

Where does eceryone think NDSU should be? Its a good job. It isnt a great job. To the people thinking that NDSU has somehow entered Gonzaga territory brcause of 1 NCAA tournament win, please keep the humor coming. Uou the most ignorant.

Richman isnt a great coach. He also isnt Brian Jones quality. If you are seriously thinking Richman needs to be fired now, you have a personal vendetta against him, and dont have the slightest clue how mid major basketball works. He has another year, and if he wins tonight, and finishes in a top 2-3 posituon next year, there id absolutley nothing in his regime that suggests he shouldnt be extended.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post
    I love listening to NDSU football fans try and talk basketball. There are 2 extremes here.

1) The posters that think theres nothing wrong with the current state of the program, which is absurd.
    2) The posters who think the program is a dumpsterfire and at an all time low, which is absurd.

Where does eceryone think NDSU should be? Its a good job. It isnt a great job. To the people thinking that NDSU has somehow entered Gonzaga territory brcause of 1 NCAA tournament win, please keep the humor coming. Uou the most ignorant.

Richman isnt a great coach. He also isnt Brian Jones quality. If you are seriously thinking Richman needs to be fired now, you have a personal vendetta against him, and dont have the slightest clue how mid major basketball works. He has another year, and if he wins tonight, and finishes in a top 2-3 posituon next year, there id absolutley nothing in his regime that suggests he shouldnt be extended.
    I’m mostly a football guy and the funniest part of your post trying to explain to “us” how this all works is that there will be a lame duck year. The extension either happens when this season is up or it doesn’t happen. Very few instances of a coach at the mid major level coaching through the final year of his/her contract. That is a wasted year for recruiting which is the only way to build atbtjis level. Win tonight and he is getting extended.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyExtacy View Post

I want and expect NDSU to finish the conference regular season in the top 3 and compete for conference tourney championships more than once every 4-5 years. If the Jacks can, why not us? Not sure who on here has ever stated anything remotely close to Gonzaga territory, who flirts with #1 in the country, but your statement contains the humor.
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    I’m mostly a football guy and the funniest part of your post trying to explain to “us” how this all works is that there will be a lame duck year. The extension either happens when this season is up or it doesn’t happen. Very few instances of a coach at the mid major level coaching through the final year of his/her contract. That is a wasted year for recruiting which is the only way to build atbtjis level. Win tonight and he is getting extended.
    I agree with your statement.....win tonight and an extension is happening.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    and YOU need a lesson in Economics 101.

NDSU BB averaged 1800 fans this year? with 1250 ACTUAL fans at the game.

A NEW COACH with some energy & charism & fast break fast action offense would put 4000-5000/people in the seats every night. (think Dan Majorle-Grand Canyon U)

2000 x 18 home games = 36,000 fans x $20 each = $720,000!!!

There is ZERO reason why NDSU shouldn't be a Butler, Creighton, Gonzaga type. its all right there, a Recruiting pipeline in Minneapolis/Wisconsin, Fargo = 150,000 population. Give me a break, its down right embarassing what NDSU gets in for fans.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by CalBison97 View Post
    I want and expect NDSU to finish the conference regular season in the top 3 and compete for conference tourney championships more than once every 4-5 years. If the Jacks can, why not us? Not sure who on here has ever stated anything remotely close to Gonzaga territory, who flirts with #1 in the country, but your statement contains the humor.
    Well, if they win tonight they'll be playing in the conference title game for the 3rd time in Richman's 5 years at the helm. Just sayin'....

I was a Freshman at NDSU in the Fall of 1980. There have been plenty of ups and downs in the following 40 seasons. Got that? 40 fricken seasons.

I really don’t remember any multiple year stretches in the last 40 years where NDSU was consistently the top dog in the NCC, Summit, etc.

This year we finished 4th and are a win away from playing in the Conference Title game and 2 wins gets us in the Dance. Meanwhile the other Dakota schools are watching.

I guess this program really is messed up beyond repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Well, if they win tonight they'll be playing in the conference title game for the 3rd time in Richman's 5 years at the helm. Just sayin'....
    I have no idea if DR is the right guy for the long term. DR's teams have been bounced out of the 1st round once in his time here. SP had that happen 3 years in a row. Can you imagine the pitchforks if that happened now?? Thank goodness we didn't give up on him as that was followed with 4 straight seasons in the title game between his last 2 years and DR's first 2. There was also a lot of talk of SP never winning the big game, and Saul Ball, etc until he beat Notre Dame and Oklahoma in his last year.

For the people saying DR was given a load of talent from SP's teams and that's why he won the first Summit title, remember that Braun, Wright, Bjorklund, Felt, Aaberg all graduated the year before. SP took over Woody and crew as juniors and went 16-13 before that magic carpet ride of 2008-09.

Up until the last 1/3 of Dex's senior year (amazingly only 2 years ago) it looked like DR would be moving on to bigger and better things soon. Then something happened to end that year in a funk, Kabellis left, and then the unwatchable 2017-18 team happened, and then this last offseason the roster was reassembled with a bunch of guys that competed and liked each other with no wasted spots. This is what has been enjoyable to watch this year. It would be great to see NDSU make the run to the dance and make it the 4th time in the D1 era, compared to SDSU's 5, especially with everyone coming back, some stud young kids that aren't even playing yet, and NC coming in.

Like it or not, DR's strategy as heard on about every interview is for the team to take care of the ball, defend, and rebound. It's very clear why he plays the kids he does based on that. It stinks because some of the guys getting less minutes are a super exciting to watch, but I think its hard to argue that the rotation that he feels most comfortable with matches the staples of the program and I'd argue also give the Bison the best chance to win.

Disclaimer: Big fan of Saul, Miles, etc. Just saying anyone that says DR is terrible and SP was loved universally has a mad case of revisionist history.

Side note: Something that has been tough to listen to for a long time spanning multiple NDSU hoops coaches are excuses about how hard it is to win on the road, how hard it is to win when you are young, etc.

You can't say Dave didn't make adjustments at half last night. It was nice to see, the substitution pattern was changed up. We went from shooting 16 3's in the first half to shooting 4 in the second. I was actually impressed with the play calling and how the second half was handled. It is hard to combat a team that comes out on fire like that and we took their best punch and then leveled them right back.

Can we please come up with a out of bounds play for any part of the floor though. We used 2 TO's and still could barely get the ball in. We rarely score out of a inbounds play under our own basket also.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I was a Freshman at NDSU in the Fall of 1980. There have been plenty of ups and downs in the following 40 seasons. Got that? 40 fricken seasons.

I really don’t remember any multiple year stretches in the last 40 years where NDSU was consistently the top dog in the NCC, Summit, etc.

This year we finished 4th and are a win away from playing in the Conference Title game and 2 wins gets us in the Dance. Meanwhile the other Dakota schools are watching.

I guess this program really is messed up beyond repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent post! I was a freshman in 1977 and have been to no less than a dozen games per year since that time and every tournament game included the d2 playoff games. Been a season ticket holder for most of those years. The Richman bashing is unbelievable. Other than the Omaha and Ft Wayne coaches I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the conference. I'd take him any day and twice on Sundays instead of Saul the huckster.